Humira Injection went a bit wrong?

Options
kellis
kellis Bots Posts: 69
edited 26. Jul 2010, 14:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've been on Humira for about 18 months now, self injecting with a pen. While I don't enjoy the experience, I get on with it, wince a bit when the sting goes in, job done. Never had any problems.

This week (Thurs) something went wrong! I prepared the pen, grabbed the usual roll of fat in which to inject, aim - fire - OUCH!!

It was much more than the usual sting, and as I withdrew the pen, there was a small amount of blood and quite an amount of clear liquid - medicine I presume - enough to dribble down onto my shorts. No idea what went wrong, but I'm now left with a pound coin size purple bruise and occasional stinging sensation. I can only assume the needle didn't fully penetrate for some reason?

Any ideas? I'm in France, so I've avoided trying to explain this one to the nurse due to language difficulties!!!

Comments

• marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kellis

I wonder if you hit a little blood vessel under the surface?

I had a methotrexate injection in my bottom once that really hurt - bruised and bled - and when I mentioned it to the Rheumy nurse the next week she explained it was probably a blood vessel..

I'm sure some of the other Humira peeps will be along soon togive you some advice..

Marion x
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hello

I'm with Marion, I've done this with my methotrexate injection. It went exactly as you describe your recent injection. Sounds like a blood vessel.

Where do you inject? I put my mtx in my stomach and my enbrel ( a pen) in my thigh. As the pen is better in the thigh I find.

Hope the bruise clears up soon!

Janie
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    It doesn't sound like it went wrong, just that you hit a small bloood vessel or a vein. The bruising is perfectly normal if that is what happened, and so is the small amount of bleeding. The small amount of liquid left on the surface will just be what wasn't injected or that was left on the end of the needle after you injection.

I've had it happen to me plenty of times. In fact I'm amazed that you've been injecting for 18 months and this is the first time it's happened! Well done! It doesn't sound like anyhting to worry about but if you're worried call the rheumy nurse or the Healthcare at Home people on Monday.
  • kellis
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Sounds like i've been lucky until now then!

I inject into my tummy - level with belly button - where the nurse showed me. I've never tried the thigh as I wasn't shown how and where!

It was the unexpected sharp pain and the escaping medicine that worried me more than the blood. I've had a tiny bead of blood before but I think it looked more this time because it was mixed with the clear liquid. I just hope enough actually went in because it's too expensive to waste!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 24. Jul 2010, 17:25
    Options
    Oops seem to have posted twice!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Kellis - this happened to me on many occasions - don't know why injection was sometimes really painful and bleeding, others not because, like you, I didn't do anything differently. Sounds as if you now have an injection site reaction. I was advised by rheumy to take a one-a-day over the counter anti-histamine for this (took one before jab usually and then for a couple of days after) which really helped. Hope you can get hold of some of these - mine is Loratadine.

So do try not to worry too much!

Tilly xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Ooh ouch!! No advice. But just to say hope it hurries up and stops being sore and that like Tilly says you can buy over the counter anti histamine tablets. So it'll be the corresponding position on the other side of your tummy button next time then?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • kellis
    Options
    Yep, alternate the sides each time! I'll be more anxious next time, so hopefully it goes ok otherwise I will lose confidence :(
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Kellis

get back on the bike and don't loose your nerve.

Let's hope that all was well this time(no meds got 'lost') and that next time goes really well.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's not such a disaster kellis: I'm doing mine tonight and I've only ever had one go wrong, when I think the pen mis-fired. To miminise the stinging I take it out of the fridge at least 30 mins before I'm due to do it and I only ever inject in my stomach - lots of lovely fat there to absorb everything! I press hard too - I find that helps. Good luck with the next one: I'm sure it will go just fine. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben