top tips needed for op and after

Options
suziev
suziev Member Posts: 252
edited 29. Jul 2010, 19:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello all

i go into hospital for my Arthroscopy on thursday, just staying over one night and on crutches for 2 weeks.
anyway i just wondered if anyone has got some top tips for a night in hospital, (already thought of ear plugs!) and how to cope on crutches whilst looking after 2 kids!!! hubby is going to take some time off work.

thanks in advance
suzie x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    damp face cloth or wet wipes near bed for when can not get out . always to warm in these places
    val
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    HI Suzie,

wishing you well with your op on Thursday.

Definitely take in some wet wipes. As well as ear plugs, one of those eye masks might be a good idea ... the nurses just love turning on the bright lights every few mins throughout the night! Take your mobile, you are allowed to these days and an mp3 or ipod if you have one.

Prepare the kids as much as possible. Show them your scars/dressings etc and emphasise how sore you will be (kids need physical evidence to understand that you are in pain and need looking after.) Explain about Mum being slow and not pushing past you etc. Cook and freeze some dinners in advance/buy things you just chuck in the oven.

Remember everyone is ok with muddling through - make sure you get enough rest to recover quickly and don't worry about the house.

Let us know how you are doing.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Susie
    Sorry cant add anymore to the list, just want to say good luck with the op, and let us know how it went.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Baby powder. I cannot do without John***s BP. Thanks to general anaesthetic you probably won't have too much trouble sleeping! After my synovectomies and one arthroscopy I slept on the ground floor, we put a bed in the dining room, so that I could avoid going up and down the stairs. That might be worth considering. I wish you well - think of the benefit you will gain! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Suzie

Think they've about covered everything havent they?? Some peopel take some arnica (helps with healing), but I would check that's ok by the doc.

When I had my back op I got my husband (wasnt at the time) to put one of the seat cuschions onto another chair so it had two - made it much easier to sit and stand back up.

Good books/magazines and for sure plenty of fruit - those meds can play havoc with doing a number two :oops:

Are you about ready??

Good luck Suzie

Love

Toni xx

PS get some DVDs in for the kids when you get hoime and hubby will have to do the taking out for you for awhile :wink:
  • thehiplady
    thehiplady Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Chocolate
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    thehiplady wrote:
    Chocolate

best got fresh gets warm in hospital unless you fetch cool block in with it lol
    val
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Good luck for Thursday from me too. :D :!:

great list of ideas already. :wink:

what about a nightie rather than pyjamas? much easier to put on/ off. slip on backless slippers too...no bending required.
    ask for a long handled sponge from OT...much easier to use!

Iris xxx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Suzie

I took some antibacterial gel into hospital with me and used it frequently on my hands (M & S or Dettol - about £1). I also took some antibacterial wipes ..

and make sure the nurses/doctors wash and gel their hands too (there should be signs up on the ward about this)

I have a friend who is a microbiologist and she has instilled in me the importance of checking cleanliness, especially in hospitals!!

Best wishes

Marion
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Suzie,

You have so many good ideas here already and I can' add to them but just wanted to say good luck and I really hope it goes well for you. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow. I hope it goes well. I had an arthroscopy of my right knee, done as a day op, and it really was very easy. Make sure you rest well after tho - and do the exercises properly! DD
  • suziev
    Options
    thank you one and all for your top tips, i shall write them down to remember them, as this morning i had the phone call to say it was cancelled :(
    and thank you for your best wishes, i'll hold onto them until the next time, which by the way am not sure when it's going to be!
    love suzie x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh no! Blasted NHS. Sometimes it's very, very good, and sometimes it isn't. I am so sorry, all that anticipation and preparation for nothing. Damn and blast. DD
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Whaaaatt !!! cancelled :shock: :shock:

Oh Suz... so sorry that's happened. definitely NOT good enough. :x

why can't they have given you another appointment...they have the lists on screen in front of them for gawd's sake. :roll: :?

Maybe it would be worth you phoning them back and ask to be given an appointment :?: pigs might fly I hear you say. :(

so sorry :( ..this happens too often to folks.

Iris xx
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Suzie

I hope your op went ok.

Sorry too late to send you tips! I found the tea and coffee undrinkable in hospital and OH always bought me a hot cuppa from Costa!

Regards
    Sharmaine
    suziev wrote:
    hello all

i go into hospital for my Arthroscopy on thursday, just staying over one night and on crutches for 2 weeks.
    anyway i just wondered if anyone has got some top tips for a night in hospital, (already thought of ear plugs!) and how to cope on crutches whilst looking after 2 kids!!! hubby is going to take some time off work.

thanks in advance
    suzie x
  • mjking
    mjking Member Posts: 145
    Options
    A fan is always useful Suzie. I had my hip resurfaced a month ago in Birmingham, England, and although the weather wasn't at all hot, the hospital was!

I took in 2 of those small, hand held fans but in fact the hospital provided me with a large desk fan, when I asked.

Kept it on all the time I was in and found it not only kept the room cool it helped make wearing the compression stockings bearable!

So sorry to hear the op was cancelled :roll: - hopefully you'll get a new date very soon.

Mike
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Oh Suzy,

I'm sorry that is such a nightmare, all that mental and practical preparation ... not to mention still being in pain. I would definitely ring up and ask when it will be rescheduled for and if necessary get your GP to contact the hospital too on your behalf. Did they give you a reason? Obviously emergencies do crop up - but to be cancelled and not given another date ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • suziev
    Options
    hi

i've got another date the 7th of september :lol:
    which is better for me anyway my eldest is back at school for a start and i am due to go on holiday on the 13th of august and i was worried that i wouldn't be fit enough to go after the op.
    i can now sit back and enjoy the holiday with the kids :lol:

thank you again for your tips and support
    love suzie x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's not too bad then! Enjoy the summer, I wish you well. DD
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    oh no cancelled this happened to me back in October when my hysterectomy was cancelled a day before the op , but next day got a call to say another surgeon was able to do me next day but the disapointment was awlful. I had a wrist anthroscopy in May to see if the surgeon could fuse or make some kind of adaption to my deformed bone, but it was too badly damaged and am waiting for a TWR , was in for one night the night before op as I'm diabetic and I go down first , after op I went home about 6 hours later, make sure you've got a hand fan as it was even back in May too hot , also I packed anti bacterial gel as already said and wet wipes a good book, of course chocolate , and a cooling spray you can get from Boots superdrug etc, good luck hope it happens soon for you , mind you ear plugs would have helped as well as I had an old lady next door crying "help me " all bloody night even the nurses got fed up with her keep calling with the damn buzzer, think she woke the whole ward, she finally gave up about 6am just in time to be woken by the nurses, :x