does any one smoke????

Options
psyart
psyart Member Posts: 600
edited 28. Jul 2010, 06:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi - just come back from wknd away with OH and sister in law and nieces - been to a lovely rally!! Anyway, I have had a few **** over the wknd - found that they did seem to help the pain a bit!!!! :oops:

Does anyone else smoke?? Do you find that sometimes it can help?? Not trying to justify it - nasty habbit which i gave up over 6 years ago but just lately have found that when really bad, the odd **** seems to help??!!!! Maybe its more drugs into my body thats doing it????!!!

Feel better today - so not needed very many - now home and dont feel like having one at all!! Strange????

Louise xxx - hope everyone had lovely day today - weather been lovely!!!
e050.gifo050.gif

Comments

• minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Loiuse, I smoke but i think its more of a distraction than help with pain. If that makes sense (i know what i mean :lol: ) Bit like concentrating on something can help distract you from the pain for a bit.
    Try not to get hooked on them, try to find a distraction simalar but not ****. I gave up for 4yrs & regret the day i started again. I know i can give up but finding the right time is a different story, just now isnt the right time. :roll:
    Take care debs
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I drift in and out of smoking - and no, that's not due to what I'm smoking! A packet of twenty can last me a couple of months, by which time they are not so good. My out-and-out favourites are Gitanes but as only one tobacconist sells them in town (and now they are £6.50 a packet) they are a rare treat. I find it more of a stress reliever than anything else - although menthol ones were very good when I had
    bad hayfever! I stopped last September, when things were very rough, 'cos I couldn't get into town to buy them and the brands that our local the co-op sells are horrid (marl, B&H, L&B etc - truly foul.) It's an occasional treat now - I indulged on holiday and have now stopped again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • psyart
    Options
    Hi - thanks for the honest replies!! I am trying really hard not to get hooked and I have not had one since we got back last night, I dont even crave one at the moment! I think, DD, that it is a stress reliever and just to take the edge of the pain!!! things are not good at the moment - doing new thread as need advice!! - so this has probably influenced the smoking!!!

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    I am an ex smoker myself,but

have been known to have the odd one here and there.

and lots and lots of cyber ones :wink:

If I didnt think they'd kill me ine the end I would no way have given up

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Louise, I smoke, although I know I should not, for SO many reasons, but, I do and I enjoy every single one. I refuse to smoke or let anyone else smoke in the house, cannot bear the smell and certainly not into decorating every few months :roll:

Smoking outside has cut the numbers down. I don't feel that it helps with any pain relief, I think that is the cocktail of drugs and not the ciggies. I may be wrong and everyone is different.

I don't feel like I should hang my head in shame, or feel guilty, yes, it is an addiction, my only vice, well, apart from maltesers and chocolate cookies. I love to potter, well, I have to potter, so I potter to the back door quite a bit d010.gif

None of the Drs or Consultants mention it now, they know they are on a hiding to nothing. I too gave up for a couple of years and it never bothered me one bit, now, the thoughts of not having any sends me loop de loop a025.gif Right, after all that talking about a ciggy, I might just have to potter, XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    Options
    You know what you're doing Bubbles

Enjoy it :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • psyart
    Options
    your right Bubbles in not hanging your head in shame!! we have to put up with so much and given up so much so if you have found something that you enjoy then what is wrong with that??

enjoy your pottering - I love to potter many a day as well - but I never seem to achieve any thing!!! :lol:

Louise xxx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • frogmorton
    Options
    More weeds get pulled up in the garden if you smoke.....
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    For some reason I'm gasping for a Gitanes - only have a three-week old Marly light. Ho-hum, back door here we come . . . DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    And why not pixie? We're all grown ups, we know the rights and wrongs - and loads of docs smoke so they can't be too evangelical can they? I caved in - went into town after dropping off a prescription and bought some new Gitanes. Heaven. (Who has had one for today, that will be for a little while.) DD
  • frogmorton
    Options
    As DD says

You are adults - you know the risks

It is your informed decision to make.

Love

Toni xx

who has none here at all :(
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Want me to huff a gitanes in your direction? Scent the wind, frog! DD
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Get waffting DD

you too Cham

ahhh!!!!!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Louise,

I also smoke, too much and far too much just now..... I can't say it helps with pain..... I do know without I become hyperactive but the last few days I also know I have had a gentle reminder its just not good for you :wink: I am lighting one as I say it :oops: :lol::lol:

I know the risks, i just have this thing inside that's says well..... bottom line ..... Its my choice.....

I also happen to be 100% addictive...... have been since 11....Though I did give up for 15 months but it like alcoholics (for me anyway) I stopped but never stopped wanting one......

You can't odds it though it ain't good for you though, for me, its a hell of a calmer......

If you can stop... then its best to stop.... however I know smokers get out of bed quicker after an op, and are more active when in hospital.... can't think why :lol::lol::lol:

hope your having a better day today? and do you think the sun will ever come back? Cris x

Hey Toni,

A waffted of a roll up.... they do say they are healthier :lol::lol::lol::lol: xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Makes no difference - but then I haven't tried the stuff that's illegal. That probably would help! DD
  • skezier
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Makes no difference - but then I haven't tried the stuff that's illegal. That probably would help! DD

Hi DD,

That's what i thought..... but..... it gave me the biggest anxiety attack I ever had and backed it up by tripping the vertigo... at the doctors.... and so embarrassing :lol::lol::lol: Never tried it again :wink: xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 27. Jul 2010, 13:06
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    Never smoked ..but truely all smokers does it help with pain ..maybe give it a tryB/Chamxxx

No it does not, but you can kid yourself it does!
    Gave up three years ago and the best thing I ever did! What with the ciggies and sunbathing every minute when the sun shone plus hols abroad, with no sun tan protection, as is drummed into us these days, my skin is like a prune. Lovely! :roll:

Don't go there, that is my humble advice!

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    May be not then Got enough vices as it is L/Babychamxxx

:wink::lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Elna just keep exfoliating you will get back to baby smooth in the endL/Babychamxxx
    [/quote]

:lol::lol::lol: I have passed the sell by date, would not make any difference :lol::lol:

Luv
    Elna x

• psyart
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Louise,

I also smoke, too much and far too much just now..... I can't say it helps with pain..... I do know without I become hyperactive but the last few days I also know I have had a gentle reminder its just not good for you :wink: I am lighting one as I say it :oops: :lol::lol:

I know the risks, i just have this thing inside that's says well..... bottom line ..... Its my choice.....

I also happen to be 100% addictive...... have been since 11....Though I did give up for 15 months but it like alcoholics (for me anyway) I stopped but never stopped wanting one......

You can't odds it though it ain't good for you though, for me, its a hell of a calmer......

If you can stop... then its best to stop.... however I know smokers get out of bed quicker after an op, and are more active when in hospital.... can't think why :lol::lol::lol:

hope your having a better day today? and do you think the sun will ever come back? Cris x

Hey Toni,

A waffted of a roll up.... they do say they are healthier :lol::lol::lol::lol: xxx

Hi Cris - the sun will be back tommorw!!!!!!
    I have only needed a couple today - but then noone around me is smoking so that helps - no smell of smoke so no craving! :lol::lol:
    I also do smoke rollies - so that just incase someone gives me something else it will look ok??? :lol: :oops: .
    My daughter who is a staff nurse thinks that something else on the odd occasion may help me! I dont know why I have re started again - I gave up over 6 years ago.
    I have had the odd one but that is after a couple of drinks but never needed it like I did at the weekend? May be its a fall out from lack of methx which is now out of my system!! Or may be the devil in me is saying lets do something naughty and smoking a **** is all I can manage!!

DD what type do you smoke?

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • psyart
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    May be not then Got enough vices as it is L/Babychamxxx

are those the vices we read about on chit chat??

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My favourites are French, Gitanes. Gauloise Disque Bleu will do at a stretch but I like Gitanes better. DD
  • psyart
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    My favourites are French, Gitanes. Gauloise Disque Bleu will do at a stretch but I like Gitanes better. DD

are they quite strong or mild? I have tried menthol ones but leave a funny after taste - but then so does normal ****!!

Louise
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Louise,

Its a difficult one that.... why do any of us start let alone re-start?! Its good to stick to just a few a day if you need them but don't have too many else you will be in the addicted club :wink:

hey you right but not sun..... just not rain... You know when I was a kid a typical summer down here was hours on the beach and getting browner and browner... now our summers are more likely to give you rain scald :lol::lol::lol: Glad I ain't growing hay :lol::lol:

You under the prof or the doctor? I have the Doc and you know what he is so good! Still think pregabalin might be worth a try, its so much better than gabapentin. Leaving you a ((( ))) Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    They are strong, psyart. Very. You know you've inhaled. DD