Does anyone have Fibromyalgia?

Options
holly_83
holly_83 Member Posts: 31
edited 28. Jul 2010, 00:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
I'm Holly, 27 yrs old, I have Fibromyalgia, a four year old son, Oliver and I'm a lone parent.
I have only recently been diagnosed after 14 months of me thinking I was losing my mind!
I would like to chat with fellow sufferers and Exchange notes. My doctors have not given me very much information bar one leaflet!
So, come and chat x

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Holly and welcome,

I don't have fibromylagia, but others will be along who have.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Holly, you certainly found the right place to post. Welcome again, to the forum, I hope you find it helpful and supportive.

I have fibromyalgia, or chronic pain syndrome, as they seem to call it at the moment.

It is well documented on the internet and there are some good places to read about it, here are a couple that you might like to glance through.

http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/

http://www.fibromyalgia-associationuk.org/

I know it is easier said than done, but don't think you are going mad. I can totally sympathise with how you feel at times. It is debilitating, irritating, depressing, frustrating, exhausting, sometimes all at once. You feel like you are living in treacle and just have no energy, often in terrible pain, that cannot be easily diagnosed. Sometimes you are so tired that you cannot sleep, you don't want to talk to anyone, not that you, nor I are anti-social, it is just the sheer lack of energy that stops you from functioning properly.

It is important to have an understanding GP, who will listen and help as much as they can. Depression and or anxiety often go alongside fibromyalgia, both can be treated to alleviate some of the symptoms.

Have a read through the other web pages, there is a lot more information out there now and it is a recognised illness, rather than a state of mind.

You take care, xxxxx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    Hi Holly

my ex MIL suffers with this and we are still good friends. I downloaded teh A/C leaflet and it really helped her and it helped the family too so they could see what was happening to her.

Extra hard work when you have a child or more on your own. You ahve mysympathy - been there, but they do grow up and can be suprisingly helpful.

I do think one tip you need to take is to not be hard on yourself with the little one. Let him watch DVDs sometimes or the telly while you rest. You may not be able to do everything 'other' Mums do, but you are the very best Mum for him :wink:

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • holly_83
    holly_83 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I have the AC leaflet - thats one thing doc has given me.
    My problem area at the moment is my back and my hips. My son and I had to come back early from town today as I could barely walk! He even goes around now saying 'my Mummy has Fibromyalgia' although it comes out a bit strange, but he tries bless him!
    I have just ordered 2 books, The Fibromyalgia Handbook and The Fibromyalgia Relief Handbook. I saw these in my local library and thought they looked good.
    I have been reading up on the Fibromyalgia Diet but there are quite a few out there and I am getting confused. I am speaking with my Doctor on Monday and I am going to see if she can refer me to a Nutritionalist, that way I'm guessing I will get some answers.
    Also I am going to get my Iron levels checked, after I went dizzy and fell in the shower - it was kind of a wake up call that I need to do something.
    I am also going to see if I am Vitamin B12 deficient - as apparently this is common with Fibromyalgia.
    Basically I am trying to cover all basis, I seem to be in more pain lately than anything and it is really getting me down.
    I am on antidepressants too - which I think is a good thing!
    It is difficult with a young child but I do not expect people to pat me on the back or pitty me. I love our life, but the Fibro just makes it that bit tougher!
    I am also going to try some CBT, to see if this can help me get my head round what I can and cannot do. Up until recently I was still moving beds and sofas around and then I'd be layed up for days with chronic pain. I am a proud and sometimes stubborn person and I hate asking for help - but I need to learn that I have to ask for help. This is the hardest thing for me.
    Like most Fibro sufferers, I would give anything to wake up one morning not in pain! Somehow I don't think its going to happen anytime soon!!
    Sorry for my little rant..... but I do feel better now, for getting it out! :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's why we're here. We understand the frustrations in a way that no-one else can, because we all suffer them too. All of our lives here are affected one way or another, and we can relate to how you feel. Use us for the bad stuff yes, but also for the good stuff too. We like happy news when it happens - and ocasionally it does. I wish you well, keep positive and keep learning about your condition - knowledge does help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    we all need a rant or advice - if I cant reason with myself I write on here and someone will reply with sensible things!! a lot of people dont understand what we are going through as pain cant be seen like a broken leg etc. but writing on here does help and rant as much as you want - we do understand. I am a very stuborn person but I have realised that my stuborness has damaged my body because I thought I could manage and carried on without asking for help for too long! I felt that by asking for help I was admitting defeat - but we do need help sometimes and you have to ask for your own sake and that of your son!

take care and keep posting

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Well Hello again Holly. Thought we had lost you there. :roll:
    Glad you found your way back. :lol:

Lv, Ix
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hello again Holly :D

you sound as though you're determined to do all you can to fight the fibromyalgia. Knowing when to stop and not push your body too hard is a difficult lesson for all of us. :!: :roll:

the physios say 'pacing' is the strategy we need to remember when living with arther so getting the balance right between activity and rest seems to be important.

glad you've had replies from other fibromyalgia peeps. keep posting and let us know how you are.

your little boy sounds very sweet...but I bet he runs rings round you too!!!

Iris xx