Stiffness in the morning - help and tips on loosening up...

Options
pols090607
pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
edited 30. Jul 2010, 06:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey All,

Having an extremely uncomfortable stiff day today, I just felt as though I couldn't get out of bed this morning.

I try the physio excercises as much as I can but they hurt so I find I'm not doing as many as I should which probably makes things worse !

I have had my 2 Naproxen but even they don't feel as though they've had any effect today. (Metho day tomorrow, 2nd lot of it, hoping maybe over the next few weeks that may kick in a bit)

How do you all cope first thing in the mornings and has anyone any valuable tips I could try ?

Feeling a tad sorry for myself today ! :(

Pols xxx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pols
    It has to be stretching, if you dont your muscle shorten and your joints feel worse, has for your phisio, sometime it is painful, but long term exercise really dose help.
    The trouble is getting a good phisio, some of them dont seem to be up to the job.
    There are some really good books in the libery on excercise when you have arthur.
    Hope this help a little bit.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • pols090607
    Options
    Thanks Barbara, it's one of those vicious circles isn't it.

I will try and do some stretches this afternoon when I get home from work and am probably at my loosest.

Can anyone also help me with regards to swimming ? I actually enjoy swimming but with my upper arms/shoulders being so stiff I keep putting off going. Do you think if I start gently I will build up my muscles/joints and it would get easier to do ?

I really want to help myself the best I can ?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Pols
    Swimming is excellent way to exercise, you have got to keep the joints moving, but not overdo it, like you said a vicious circle.
    I cant get in and out of the pool , or I would be there, I wish there where more pools that you could walk into.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Pols, if you don't have to get to work and wake up stiff - how about a nice warm bath to relax those muscles and then try the stretching exercises and physio after.

Re swimming if you are really stiff and sore a baby/teaching pool like at my local baths might be the solution to start with as they often are heated warmer than the "big" pool and so are good for relaxing muscles.

I only have arther in my hips and knees, but have sufferered from tense neck and shoulder muscles - swimming really helped this - a good stretch in the pool - bliss.

Just be careful though that you don't over do it - it is very easy to over do it at swimming and not realise until the next day.

Let us know how you get on.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Pols

I totally agree with Barbara. Stretching exercises. I would put money on it that I would not be as active as I am if I had not done my stretching exercises daily, well 6 out of 7 days for years. I have added and subtracted certain exercises over the years. One day I clean the main areas of 4 blocks of flats with no lifts, so feel that is enough exercise that day!! I ride my bike locally, do 10 minutes on an exercise bike and 15 minutes hula hooping too, because I like it and it must be doing me good! The exercises I do first thing after meds and breakas. The exercise bike in the evening before my meal. Obviously there are occasions when I am unable to carry out the daily regime but it is part of my life and I do not like not being able to do them, for whatever reason.

The whole exercise programme in the morning takes 30 - 40 minutes.

Chin up, things will get better with a little routine in place regarding exercise. :D

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    And don't miss any of your anti-inflamatories!!!

they do more than you think :wink:

I ahve had days though when the stiffness is all day like it or not.

Hope the mtx kicks in for you soon

Love

Toni xx
  • pols090607
    Options
    thanks again for all the replies.

wow, elna, you sound really fit ! an inspiration to us all !

i think today is one of those days for me where i am stiff all flipping day ! i have a bit of pmt too, feel like throttling someone ! so once i've sorted tea and the kids i am taking myself off to bed dosed up and will start again tomorrow.

xxxx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Pols

I think that is a good idea of yours to take yourself to bed. :) Being with kids is exhausting and having pmt and periods. I have been through all that and now have a little grand child and know how tired I am after looking after her although I love her to bits and love to be with her so very much.

I am not fit, have just developed downright determination and grit over the years, along with a sense of humour (although hubby wonders where that disappears to on many an occasion :roll: ) and does elude me from time to time, like with anyone. We also have different "arthur" I have OA.

Here's to a better day tomorrow for you. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    One of the most frustrating things about these conditions is that they come and go. Mostly come, rarely go, or that's how it seems to me! You do learn your own strategies over time - I just get up and start tottering, stretching just aggravates everything for me. By the time I've staggered downstairs everything is as loose as it's going to get. I would love to be without the crutches but my balance isn't that good now and I'm too scared of falling over. I am walking more now, and that has helped to develop some muscle strength. It does hurt tho. Can't have everything. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Pols

When I used to be very very stiff in the mornings I found having a hot shower and washing my hair immediately I got up really got my joints moving .. .. a friend of mine who has lupus told me to do this and it really helped..

I always remember washing my hair under the shower and because my wrists and hands were so bad with inflammation it was as if I was wearing those huge sponge hands that people used to wave in the air at 'Gladiators' and basketball games .. it was as if my hands didn't belong to me....I used to constantly drop the shower gel and shampoo (fortunately, after 2 years on methotrexate I don't have that those problems now)

Hope that the medication starts to work for you soon..

Marion
  • sheilb
    sheilb Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi, Pols

What about aqua aerobics instead of swimming? Some are really gentle and I've found you do whatever you can anyway. Warm water's helped me in the past, it helps me loosen up somehow. Hope that's useful.

Sheil
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi pols :D

you are entitled to 'feel sorry' for yourself....living with arther isn't easy and we all have those 'days' when you wonder how you'll ever get out of bed. :? :!:

I do some loosening up and stretching exercises before I get out of bed. :wink: helps to get the joints moving before even attempting to get my feet on the floor... I also use hot wax treatment for my hands which is both soothing and loosens up the tendons.

Have to admit that I don't have an exercise regime just now :oops: but after reading what other's do I will have to try a bit harder!

I did wonder if you're meds need reviewed if you're having a lot of pain just now?

hope today is better for you.

Iris xx
  • catlady
    catlady Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Pols. The tip on taking a hot shower is worth a try, as it really works for me too. A friend who's had RA for years (she was late being diagnosed and her joints are damaged) told this one to me, so as she's an 'old hand' I thought it must be worth a try. Jen x :D
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Stretching do the excercise physio suggests. Could try moisturizing or massage oil into your skin gently rubbing aches and pains Lavenders good very relaxing. A hot bath with lavendor in or favorite of your own sooths away aches n pains. Hope it eases for u x joanne
    Joanne
  • elnafinn
    Options
    A hot bath or shower definitely does help but we also need to keep our muscles and joints moving and as strong as possible, so stretching exercises help to do this especially if carried out daily. Then anything else we achieve in the day, like pottering around the home, in the garden, walking the dog, shopping, going out in the car, hobbies, the gym, swimming, etc is an added bonus on the exercise front.

Elnax

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    pols090607 wrote:
    Having an extremely uncomfortable stiff day today, I just felt as though I couldn't get out of bed this morning.
    To start every day while still in bed, I wriggle my toes, then flex my feet and ankles until they start to free up a bit.

Then carry on up, knees, hips, etc. until all the joints toe to neck are loosened and at least mobile. Only then do I get out of bed. Try it for a few days, just lie there loosening up, toe to top, one set of joints at a time.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif