Methotraxate

Options
tarasmygirl
tarasmygirl Member Posts: 70
edited 28. Jul 2010, 08:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Just wanted to ask how others on Metho are doing. I've just taken my third lot of 7.5mg and have started to feel queasy 36-48 hours after taking tablets. Due to take folic acid tomorrow morning.
Have 1 more week at 7.5 then go up to 15mg for 4 weeks then onto 20mg.
Been taking small meals and trying to avoid anything greasy - just wondered if anyone else has any advice.
Do side effects could get worse once the dosage increases?
Must say the pain level is going down, but that may be due to the steriod injection I had last week.

Cath

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It takes time for meth to settle into the system, and the length of time and the side-effects vary widely from person to person. I developed a rash on tablet meth and was taken off it, but I can't remember how long I'd been on it. I certainly didn't have any nausea. I am now on injected meth, have been for a while now, and again don't have any side-effects, apart from one bout of mild nausea fairly recently. I can truthfully say that meth has made no difference to my PA or pain levels, all the time I have been taking it. Everyone is different. Good luck with it tho, I hope you are one of the lucky ones for whom it does make a difference. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Options
    I will be taking my third lot of MTX tonight 12.5mg and touch wood have had no side effects as yet. Unless of course you include falling asleep at the drop of a hat. :)

As I have mentioned on here already I could do that before I started anyway.

I will also be on 20mg at the end of week 6 so will let you know as we go along.

Good luck
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Cath, When I first starting taking MTX at 15mg I came out in an itchy rash on my arms due to sunshine reacting with the drug so the consultant lowered the dose to 7.5mg and I've had no nasty side effects yet and I've been on it for about 9 weeks now.I take it on a Saturday evening after a large meal as I read somewhere that eating a fairly large meal before taking MTX sometimes keeps nausea at bay.This probably doesn't work for everyone though.Some people get side effects immediately they start MTX and others get it when the dose is gradually increased.One thing I have noticed is that since starting MTX I have become a lot more fatigued than usual. Breane.x
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    slightly aside from the topic but I read the other day that beetroot are a good source of folic acid, just though I'd mention it, will be watching this topic with interest as think this is what my consultant wants me to take
    Jen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Which, beetroot, meth or folic acid? Seriously, meth and folic acid usually go hand in hand for younger women, but me being an older one the folic acid has never been prescribed. It does have a good effect at lessening side effects for some, not so good for others, the usual tale here! I don't have side effects from meth but I do eat plenty of fresh beetroot, and celery, both of which are supposed to be a good anti-inflammatories. Humira is the best anti-inflammatory for me tho! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Cath,

I hope you are feeling a bit better now? I was fine on the 10, 12.5 but on the 15 I have been feeling sick though I still say mine is the folic acid that makes me feel yuck! I got some anti-emetics from the gp and am much better now. After a few weeks I don't always need them either.

Its a good drug if it works for you.... I hope you find it does. Cris x

hey Jen how come it cant be found in something nice? x
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    DD - would be great if the doc wanted me to eat beetroot as a cure LOL (note to self re read posts!)

Cris don't you like beetroot then, my 8 year old loves it!
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi - can you get anti sickness tablets to help you out? I took them day before to get them in the system - this helped within reason. But its like DD says - it takes time to get into the system and everyone is different with it!!

good luck and hope it works - my doctor says its good if it does its job!!!

Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I now take MXT injections at 20mg, I still feel a little bit sick but not as bad as when I was on the tablets, I told my gp aboiut feeling sick, he put me on some tablets, they help too, I would suggest that you speak to your gp or Rheumy nurse.

I am not feeling any better on the MXT, I am seeing a new consultant in august love Jaspercatxx
  • tarasmygirl
    Options
    Thanks Everyone
    I must try the beetroot, don't like celery so will give it a miss.
    haven't asked for any anti em drugs so far as nausea is mild, mMilder than what I had when I was expecting my daughter (that was 30 years ago - doesn't time fly !!!).
    Hopefully if side effects stay the same I won't need them.
    Have noticed I am also falling asleep as soon as I come home from work - but once I've had a sleep I am ready to take dog out ( weather permitting how far she gets )

Cath
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi
    Due to take folic acid tomorrow morning.
    Have 1 more week at 7.5 then go up to 15mg for 4 weeks then onto 20mg. Cath

Hi Cath...

I'm also in the Mtx club (injectable). I did wonder whether it may be worth you giving your rheummy a quick ring? If you're feeling queasy on 7.5mg then perhaps (personal opinion only) a 'jump' to taking 15mg might be a bit much? I only moved up in 2.5mgs steps until I reached the right dose for me.
    Could be too that your rheummy might want you to take the folic acid on additional days to counteract any side effects / or prescribe you an anti nausea med?

hope it all settles down and that the improvement in your joints is due to the Mtx...

Iris xx
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Cath

I agree with Iris (Dorcas). Might be best to phone Rheumy (or Rheumy Nurse if you've got one yet) and say that you are feeling queasy and ask if gradual increases of 2.5 mgs might be better than a big jump from 7.5 to 15 mgs...

I personally went up to 15 mgs too quickly and became quite nauseous so had to drop down again to 12.5 and stayed on that for many many months and then went up to 15 mgs again

.. my first rheumy was a bit 'gung ho' and did things very quickly, my current rheumy is much slower and careful with medication and I like that way of doing things....

Marion
  • tarasmygirl
    Options
    Hi Marion & Iris

Rheumy Dr is hoping to stop things getting any worse as the signs developed so quickly. Will keep a note of your comments and see how things go, unless it gets a lot worse I'd rather have some nausea than the pain I was in.
    One good side is by eating less I'm losing weight ( which is good for me ) and hopefully the weight loss will also help ease the strain on the joints.

Thanks
    Cath
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Cath

I am on 20mg of Methotrexate a week and other pills. Every so often I feel sicky and usually a bit tired the day I take it and the day after. But I think, "Hey, what's a bit of sicky compared to maybe improving my swellings and pain!!"

Like DD says, Meth usually takes an age to take positive effect therefore more likely the steroid giving you relief but I ain't no doctor!!

Good luck with it - I hope it helps you and that you have a good day today.
    Carol
  • tarasmygirl
    Options
    thanks Carol

I do feel a bit better this afternoon - don't know whether it was the folic acid this morning or just the symptoms wearing off.

Have you found you are more tired than normal ?

Cath