Any good TENS stories?

Options
leecarter
leecarter Bots Posts: 4
edited 1. Aug 2010, 03:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have left big toe OA. Don't really want to go the surgery route, at least not yet. The only painkillers that work for me are opiates so I don't take them every day. I've seen ads on the web for a sock that you can plug a TENS machine into (daughter is prepared to lend me the machine she used in labour). Has anyone tried the iSock? Is it worth risking £15?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry leecarter, I have no idea. I have always found TENS completely useless at relieving my PA pain, but if you have had some success with TENS in the past why not just get a machine from lloyds? They were on offer recently at about £10. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Not heard of this, but I would waste £15 if you've got it.

Used a tens for pain, but never on my inflamatory arthritis - would be too scared. But on the bursitis and the like.....

Found it did do something yes....not for long enoughg fro me, but could use it before bed for instance to get off.

LOve

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I used to look after my mother-in-law and she had a tens machine to try. I followed the instructions, put the electrodes on and turned it slowly up, she could'nt feel any thing so up a bit further until they were very high. Still nothing. So I checked the leads and pushed them in as far as I could. Poor mother in law nearly shot up in the air, screaming :lol: I know I should'nt laugh but I was scared to death, pulled the leads off, and calmed her down. :oops: She did let me do it again (brave :oops: ) and she found it worked well on her arm, which had nerve damage from a stroke.

I use one myself and I'm always careful. :lol:

Love Sue
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Blimey Sue - your story did make me laugh ... sorry couldn't help it. Poor MIL!!! And she even let you try again!!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I've used a tens machine fairly regularly and it works well for me, but the pads have to be properly placed. Never heard of the sock though.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    My friedn regularly mkes her arm twitch with hers (neck problem!)

reckon she does it on purpose - attention seeking :wink:

She loves her tens though - it's the second one she's had

Love

Toni xx
  • rachelj
    rachelj Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Has anyone found a good place to put the pads? I bought a TENS unit to relive back pain after a car accident and although it wasn't a cure all, but meant I had to take less pain killers.

The pads on my unit are 3 x 4" so no idea how I apply them to knuckles and wrists? The instructions says they need to be 4 to 6 inches apart, so could I put one on either said of my hand. I am thinking maybe I should put them on my fore arms as that's where most the muscles for my hands are :?

Has anyone found a simple guide on them?