Update on Access to Work assessment

marion1952
marion1952 Member Posts: 963
Hi all

I am now 12 weeks post-op THR and went into work today to meet the Access to Work assessor. I am hoping to go back to work full time (albeit on a phased return) next week.

Fortunately, the assessor was also a trained Rheumatology Physiotherapist, so she was very understanding.

She took a full medical history of my RA and OA and measured my legs from knee to floor, from knee to thigh, and my shoulder to elbow. She then looked at my work and desk area and observed me using the computer and phone.

She is recommending that I have a special chair to support my back and hip, an ergonomic keyboard, a special mouse, a small collapsible trolley to put stuff in if I need to go to meetings outside my building and a special cushion to take with me if I need to sit on (lower) chairs in other rooms. (I already have a foot rest). We discussed the 'Dragon Speak' software and a dictaphone, but decided to put those on the 'back burner' for the time being, although I will try out the demo CD of the Dragon software.

She will do a report of her recommendations and send this to my Disability Support Officer, who will then order the equipment. I gather Access to Work will fund half the costs and my employer has to fund the other half.

She left me her phone number to contact her if I have any further thoughts or queries about equipment..

I was very pleased indeed with the assessment.

I just thought I would share this with you in case other peeps have an assessment coming up.

Best wishes

Marion

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Marion

so glad your meeting with the ATW assessor went so well. :D it sounds like she was very thorough and 'on the ball' when it came to understanding arther :D
    Did she say how long it will take to get the equipment you need ? I guess though that it'll be ordered by your employer.

it's very encouraging to hear such a positive outcome. :wink:

thanks Marion and good luck with your return to work :D

Iris x
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Hi Iris

She said she would do the report/recommendations tonight and e-mail it to my Disability Support Officer (DSO) tomorrow. The DSO is absolutely excellent and will place the order straightaway, but I think it might take about 2 weeks to get the chair - so I will be taking some cushions from home to sit on next week..

BW

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It makes a pleasant change to hear of a professional who a) understands her job and b) is good at it. I think you are very fortunate in the support you are getting marion - you seem to be about the only one who is having proper help! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Wow Marion that all sounds very positive. How is your phased return going to work?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.