Are You Aged 40 or Thereabouts and Being Refused TKR?

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 8. Aug 2010, 19:30 in Young people's community
Hi

Im Elaine. I have posted on here before but am looking for people to come forward with stories which are similar to myself.
I am 41 have suffered from Oesteochondritis Dissecans since age of 18. Had about 5 surgeries between ages of 18-25 to take out loose bodies, wash out knee. I was told when first diagnosed would need TKR at age of 40, this came and went and I thought I was lucky. 41 came and dropped a bombshell, I have been suffering since last summer when ironically helping dad aged 77 recover from his TKR. I have seen 2 consultant at my hopsital, they both say Im too young for TKR despite the amount of pain im in, way my life has been restricted so much. I can no longer walk more than 40 metres, squat, kneel, walk up or down hills, difficulty getting in and out of car, getting out of chairs, picking up items on bottom shelves of supermarket is a no-no, cannot stand for more than 15mins. Im also currently fighting and ESA appeal as they say Im fit for work......
Im going for a 2nd opinion at Wrightington on 13 Sept 2010. What I want is stories from other people who can recognise my story in themselves and I can state that other people maybe do get TKR's done in younger life. It seems to be the case as far as i have found that you can be in as much pain but unless you are at least 55 they wont consider you for surgery. Im basically going in fighting my corner as I feel I need to.
Any help most appreciated

Comments

• clairy
    clairy Member Posts: 29
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Im Elaine. I have posted on here before but am looking for people to come forward with stories which are similar to myself.
    I am 41 have suffered from Oesteochondritis Dissecans since age of 18. Had about 5 surgeries between ages of 18-25 to take out loose bodies, wash out knee. I was told when first diagnosed would need TKR at age of 40, this came and went and I thought I was lucky. 41 came and dropped a bombshell, I have been suffering since last summer when ironically helping dad aged 77 recover from his TKR. I have seen 2 consultant at my hopsital, they both say Im too young for TKR despite the amount of pain im in, way my life has been restricted so much. I can no longer walk more than 40 metres, squat, kneel, walk up or down hills, difficulty getting in and out of car, getting out of chairs, picking up items on bottom shelves of supermarket is a no-no, cannot stand for more than 15mins. Im also currently fighting and ESA appeal as they say Im fit for work......
    Im going for a 2nd opinion at Wrightington on 13 Sept 2010. What I want is stories from other people who can recognise my story in themselves and I can state that other people maybe do get TKR's done in younger life. It seems to be the case as far as i have found that you can be in as much pain but unless you are at least 55 they wont consider you for surgery. Im basically going in fighting my corner as I feel I need to.
    Any help most appreciated

Hi Elaine,

I've not had a TKR myself but i do know people who have had TKR in their teens and 20's so it is def possible to have it done before 55. Hopefully you can get some answers with the 2nd opinion.

Good luck