Internet explorer 8 - nail in the coffin

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 7. Sep 2010, 12:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
I feel like throwing my monitor in the garden,jumping up and down on it and then get a massive hammer and smashing it to bits!!!!!!!!!!
I came on this site an hour ago and up pops a nice little reminder from my internet provider to uninstall their browser and use internet explorer 8, well this took over an hour!
Now, its so slow that when i press submit for this message i might as well clean the whole house, peel potatoes for a platoon or read the bible cover to cover as thats how long i am sat just looking at the swirlling going round, then mouse just packs in.

Has anyone else this problem with it exp 8?
hubbie says to reload computer but i am reluctant cos it will be a day job, first backing up all my files, so i am putting it off.

Its a step backwards, off to press submit, might get 8 hours kip in whils waiting.

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I haven't got a clue, but you have my full sympathy :!:

m03148.gif

Joseph, where are you :?: :?: He'll know what to do :!:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Oneday

sorry you are having thsi problem ..... I had so many problems with internet explorer (no idea which version) that I gave up and I now use Mozilla Firefox instead. For me this has got rid of most of the problems.

not sure if that will help .... good luck with whatever you do!

hugs
    Wonky
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Hi Oneday

I HATE all things new :x

Poor you

windows 7 is on here and a cannae do most of the stuff.

I will not do it when it asks me I promise :wink:

Hope you are ok now?

Love

Toni xx
  • oneday
    Options
    hello fellow techno sufferers!!
    a collegue of mine had same problem and ended up calling engineer out.
    The mad thing was at the beginning i was directed to a page of instructions which i read first before actually just doing e.g. stage 1 etc (then assuming i could go onto stage 2).
    I then copied and pasted onto word the instructions. Now its a good job I did this because the first stage said to uninstall my usual browser which i did BUT if i had not kept a copy of the instructions they would have been lost at the first stage!! (why dont instructions say to copy and paste them because once you have done first stage to uninstall your compouter needs to re start and obviously you wont see the rest of the instructions!!)

whats the advantages/disadvantages of different browsers? whats safari for example?
    I just knew last night that when i popped on internet for a quick look at the site something would go wrong!
    I will press submit now and see how slow it is! perhaps cook a full english whilst i wait.
  • oneday
    Options
    9.28 to 9.35 to get this far-rubbish!
    hubbie saying its cos i on older machine and internet explorer 8 for windows 7 system.
    hubbie says mozolla firefox has loads of openings and backdoors for hackers etc!...says safari better.
    he keeps saying to reload machine.noooooooooooo
    9.35 ready to submit for another 8 mins! thanks Mr Internet Bod
  • oneday
    Options
    cheers..will have a think about it.
  • oneday
    Options
    ok-seems bit quicker today!
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Really you didn't need to uninstall anything, just download and install IE8 then you would have had a choice of browser.

Firstly, did you download the correct IE8 for your system, as there are different ones for each version of Windows, (IE8 for Vista won't run properly on XP or Win7, etc). Did you do a complete restart immediately after you installed it, as often programs only part install until the computer has been shut down and restarted again?

I use Firefox as it suits my needs, (no worries about hackers, etc. as i use a very good antivirus/firewall which is kept up to date), but I also have IE8, Opera and Chrome installed so I can choose which of the four to use. Also, if one browser goes down, then I can use one of the others to download/install the latest version of the dud one.

Why do you need to totally reload your computer, as the problem appears to be in IE8 and not Windows? Have you considered using Restore which rolls your system files back to a previous time/date? This shouldn't alter your personal files at all. But create a new restore point before you do it. If you use XP look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084 for further information or google 'windows restore' plus your operating system.

The above is just a guess, as I can't guarantee I have hit the right problem.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The legend strikes again. Joseph, you are a remarkable fount of knowledge on all things computery. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • oneday
    Options
    I may be posting too soon but just got some extra memory for computer and its speedied up.
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I use IE8 and firefox.IE8 still falls on its **** all too often using Firefox most of the time :? :?