telephone preference service/telesales

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 17. Aug 2010, 19:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just picked up phone to someone whos first words were, "how are you today"...which always annoys me!
i said who are you.
she said i am calling from weatherseal (but maybe it was weatherfield)
i said where did you get this number, she said a list!!
I said this number is ex dir and registered with telephone preference service, (would love to know where she got it from)
she said she would take off list.

has anyone else had these calls even though you are tps registered? and what did you do? is it worth a complaint to tps?
arrh..........

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yeah we are ex d and we still get them, some are from outside the country and some are random generated robotic calls, not sure what you can do but e mail them anyway and see what happens, also if you get some twerp selling thnigs like doors etc just tell them you rent the house that stops them every time!.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    we just put the receiver on the table and let them talk to themselves...then after a few mins pick it up...they say thought there was nobody there for a min...you say there wasn't :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    We are ex-D but got calls from the first day.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    hi all
    makes you think that people who arent ex dir must be inundated with these calls.
    i had thought of leaving it off the hook but if its one of those calls where they end up charging you (however that works?) i wouldnt like a big bill.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    if you are registered with TPS and you receive a call that should not have been made (the scheme does not cover those foreign calls unfortunately) then get as much info from the caller as to who they are and a phone number if your phone stores the numbers (they don't always block their numbers :wink: ) then you can write to the body which oversees the TPS service .... can't remember who it is but the info is in the phone book.

they can take action against firms for ringing those who are registered, and firms can be fined a lot of money for making wrong calls.

I knwo because i had cause to complain once .... and they were really helpful.

wonky
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    We are Xdirectory too but still gets calls. You should be a bit careful about leaving the phone on the side.

I knew someone who had calls when X Directory and she put the phone down, she went off to do something and forgot the phone was off the hook.

She had a massive bill for this call. It is something they do and they leave you calling abroard somewhere.

She sorted it in the end but it took a long time to sort out.

Trish xxx
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    They get your phone numbers from the electoral register at the council , companies buy them..... as anyone can buy a copy i think You can choose to be withdrawn from the public register or whatever its called.

Rose x