Locations

Options
tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 16. Aug 2010, 04:37 in Community Chit-chat archive
Have you been moved to visit a place where a book you read was located.Went to Kefalonia after reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin.Went to the Camargue after reading Caravan to Vaccares.Rhodes after Guns of Navarone Provence after A year in Provence

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    to be honest havent but then not very adventurist have just put secret briton on now might want to go some of these places looks lovely
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What an interesting thought. So far the answer is pretty dull, North Yorkshire moors (Brontes) Dartmoor (can't remember why) Dorset (Hardy) and Paris (Maigret) but I would like to go to America (all over, Reacher). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Bet a fair few went to Rome after reading Dan brown thogh.....
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Despite all the tourists, I think that the spirit of the Brontes still lives on in Haworth Parsonage. Also, if you go up on the surrounding moors, you can imagine poor Heathcliff still roaming around pining for his Cathy.

I went to Provence after reading A Year in Provence, but I was more interested in following in the footsteps of the Impressionist painters. It gave me a wonderful feeling to stand on the same spot where Van Gogh stood, and to see some of the exact scenes which he painted.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    We first went to Cornwall many, many years ago, as a result of my reading Daphne du Maurier`s "The Loving Spirit", followed by all her other novels. I have re-read them many times, and re-visited lovely Cornwall many times too.

We had never visited Haworth until my elder son was studying "Wuthering Heights" for A level. It started a long love affair for us with West Yorkshire. So much so that both my sons chose to attend nearby Leeds University. As Joan said, the moors above Haworth are wonderfully atmospheric, and we have visited them during every season, and found something different every time.

I also have a passion for all things Spanish, the "real" Spain though. It was music rather than books that led to this love. One of my Daughter`s in law is Spanish, although she is from the North....Valladolid. For me, the passion, and romance is in the South, but don`t tell,her I said that!.........Ange.