Going to hospital - great tips

Options
mjking
mjking Member Posts: 145
edited 20. Sep 2018, 08:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi evereyone! I've recently had a hip resurfacing operation and my wife suggested I compile a list of things we've found useful and share it for others to add their experiences to:

HELP FROM YOUR LOCAL SOCIAL SERVICES (CALLED ADULTS & COMMUNITIES IN BIRMINGHAM)

They gave me:

A grabber - helping hand
A long shoe horn
A sock putter on aid
A raised toilet seat (essential after the op as you cannot get too low down at first)
A frame to go around the toilet to hold onto - essential after op and maybe helpful before
A block of plastic to stand on to help step in and out of the bath
Grab handles for the bath
Arranged for one of our chairs to be raised up (you cannot use a low chair after the op)

Most of these items can also be bought from ARGOS. A second one can be useful – to keep up stairs maybe.

Get Social Services in BEFORE op as its too late after and some things help before it!

JOIN LIBRARY ON LINE

Reserve books and CDs.
Talking books may be useful if you are too tired to read after your op.
Register as disabled and they should deliver to your house – Home Delivery Service.

SHOP ONLINE – HOME DELIVERY

TESCOS – ask them to carry your purchases into your kitchen for you and they will.
AMAZON etc for books, CDs etc.
ARGOS for household items etc.

MISCELLANEOUS

Tidy house, esp floors.
Put often used items at a height you can reach without bending.
Slip on shoes – no laces to tie!
Compression stockings – may be OK to use next size up, if find they are tight and hot. Get a second pair – they need to be washed every 3 days.
Make sure your computer/laptop is accessible (& internet connected) for when you come out of hospital.
Ditto for your land phone and mobile charger.

NHS MEDICAL EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE

Spread the cost of medicines over the year.
Can be worth having, depending on what medicines are needed etc.
Probably worth it if you have at least 2 prescriptions a month that you pay for.

NEIGHBOURHOOD OFFICE WILL HELP WITH FILLING OUT FORMS

Disability Living Allowance. Not means tested.
Social Services Fairer Charging – financial help to look after you at home.
Blue Badge if you drive or you can get one for someone else to use, if they drive you places or drive to get stuff for you. May be able to qualify for free road tax. (or refund if already bought it)

FRIENDS

You must have someone at home before the hospital will discharge you after the op.
Try and have someone sleep over for the first week or so.
You will need help with washing and (if you have to wear them) putting your compression stockings on and off.
Don’t be afraid to ask for and accept help.

Hope this helps!

Mike :)

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Also, when you have had an operation, such as hip resurfacing, you MUST promptly inform the DWP and anyone else you claim benefits from, such as your local council, that you have had a Change of Circumstances. If you don't then you may end up paying a very large sum back to them.

Having a stair lift, bath hoist, bed raiser or other aids or appliances fitted if these mean that there has been a reduction in your need for attention from another person;

There is a widespread and mistaken belief that in providing information to one benefits agency it would then be shared and transmitted to all, so you are required to inform everyone yourself.

If you have had a hip operation and, having left hospital and recovered from the operation, it quickly becomes obvious that you now feel a great deal better and need a lot less attention then clearly you should inform the DWP.
    http://www.nwdial.org.uk/training files/changes.pdf

Unfortunately the downside of improving your way of life.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mjking
    Options
    Some good tips here Joseph - thanks!

I have informed the DWP about my op but didn't - thinking about it -receive an acknowledgement, so I'll write again today.

My problem is I had severe arthritis in BOTH hips and although the operated on leg is getting better I'm still more or less in the same boat - the other leg is actually worse than before, I guess 'cause its having to do some of the work of the other leg.

At my 6 week check up, the Registrar advised me to wait a full 12 months before the 2nd op.

Mike
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Mike

Lots of good advice there. May I be so bold as to suggest a few more:

*freeze lots of meals (if hubby is useless in the kitchen);
    *ensure cupboards are well stocked with kitchen essentials - shopping online is a godsend!
    *teach hubby how to use washing machine (a few months prior to op); how to fold towels; sheets; etc. How to iron.
    *show hubby how to change duvet cover and how to put pillow cases on.
    *Cleaning rota etc.
    *Gets lots of change and keep it in teapot for car park and OH's visits!
    *Ensure you have enough meds to tide you over.

I had a TKR and my hubby coped pretty well as long as he knew how to 'operate' things. Considering he was didn't know how to do anything in the house - he did a fine job of looking after me and all that training was worth it.

You did a fine job of putting this list together!

Take care.
    Sharmaine
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Mike and Mrs

Go right ahead! Elna gave me lots of advice prior to my TKR. I think the best tip she gave me was to buy an ice pack and it was the best £25 I've ever spent. Especially as my leg was swollen for about 3 weeks. Your suggestion to have 2 pairs of compression socks is so true. You really need that second pair.

With regards to meal ideas: stews; sauces; curries; pies freeze very well. It was a godsend to have these meals on hand especially when hubby went back to work.

We bought a chair with 2 arms which proved very useful for me as I found getting up from a raised position jolly hard. Getting in touch with your Occupational Therapist well before your op, as you mentioned in your list, is such a good idea. I got them in 3 months before and they put in lots of aids. One month before my operation they put hand rails inside the house and at the front door which have been really useful............especially as I have to go in for another TKR.

I hope you are doing well.

Regards to your wife - she sounds like a practical woman! :lol::lol:

Sharmaine
  • wendgro
    wendgro Member Posts: 296
    Options
    I was surprised to read your post I too have had THR and a TKR and all the things you wrote about were done automatically through my hosptal where I had the ops. Except the Tesco and library bit. I didn't have to do anything the people came and sorted out the chair bed shower etc and all the other things were given to us when we went for the open evening (That was most important) I think I am very lucky to have had all the worry taken away.
  • mjking
    Options
    Hi wendgro

I got some of those things from my council and some from my local NHS but in both cases I had to contact them first and no one told me about the service.

From reading comments here its clear that there is a wide variety of help out there but equally very differrent services operate depending on where you live. In many cases the help is there IF you know who to ask.

My hospital offerred a really good fast track out of hospital quickly after the op but with more support at home. I got great support but for others the 'fast track' just meant out of hospital quickly and then left to themselves.

Mike :)
  • jassie
    jassie Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Mike, this is so helpful. I'm sure I will have to go into hospital sometime in the next year or so as my hips in particular are getting worse (and that's if the heart doesn't get to me first!) and it's my worst nightmare as I have no one to help me. I've never been able to think about it in practical terms as the thought spells instant panic, so I will print out your list and keep it somewhere safe for when the dreaded time comes. Many thanks to you and to your wife for thinking of it. Hope you are recovering well. Jassie.
  • mjking
    Options
    Glad you find it useful Jassie.

There's loads of good advice and friendly people here so try not to worry too much!
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi Mike, Hope you're having a good day today, Just read your list there and i don't know if you've done this already but how about adding your list to the other one of tips (looked at it less than 30secs ago and forgot what it's called already doh! :oops: )

There we're some great tips there (well done Mrs Mike :idea: ) that other users my find useful but not necessarily look here in your thread.

Just a thought

Hope the op goes well

Gentle hugs NMB
    xx

P.s it's 'the ideas to make life easier' thread i cheated and went back to look!!
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.
  • PetGeek
    PetGeek Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for sharing great tips... 8)
  • dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Oooooooops just posted for this info, I think I need to spend some time reading :oops:

Thanks for these useful tips from a first timer :smile:

Sue x
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    Options
    I am going in to hospital very soon to have some of my mid foot joints fused.

I am very nervous as I do not have the support of my family. I am only 24 years old and I have to go through the operation myself.

I am also worried about afterwards. Due to my Mum not supporting me and the operation, she says she will not do any extra around the house. This means while I am in a plaster cast for 4 months, I still have to clean the whole house and do the food shopping.

Does anyone have any tips.

Is there any help that I could get?

Thanks. :sad:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi Sailrib,

I suggest you put this question as a separate thread. I think people will find it more easily.

Do you have friends who would help?

The Occupational Therapist, in the hospital should be able to help with some ideas.

Hope it all goes well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Being still anxious and worried about post op problems, I did a search on here & came across another great post from Mike - mjking which was very useful of how he was after his op & also he had a link to a site, which answered alot of qs & also qs to ask at the 6 wk post op check, so as a few of us have had recent ops I thought it might be useful to add here.
    http://www.hipsandknees.com/hip/index.html
    hope this is ok
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    what a great write up, i went in on a cancellation appointment, june 21st 4 years ago i was called at 4pm to go in for 7am next day, was so excited at the thought of no more pain i jumped at the chance... no time to contact anyone regarding my 'needs' indoors, so when i came home someone got an OT to come to me and assess what was needed, the chair raisers were great, also only had a pc then and couldnt get under the pc desk, had to get a laptop, it wouldve been a good idea to rearrange the furniture so accomadate my forthcoming needs at the time, going iin on a cancellayion just wasnt the best idea as i left the family to just 'get on with it' in hospital for 9 days...
    so if anyone else has their name down for a cancellation TKR or any other op.. prepare before... keep on top of household chores as best you can
    i hadnt :sad:
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • daina
    daina Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips.
  • annstar
    annstar Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Brillant list thanks for sharing! This is just the sort of thing that people need, as it's something you can't get from your local authority or help centre.

Thanks Mike!
  • ImmaW
    ImmaW Member Posts: 5
    edited 1. Aug 2011, 18:53
    Options
    These are all very helpful tips. I really like the grabbers as they have come in handy many times. Also make sure you have toiletries and other common items like soaps and shampoos within reach and not tucked away high or low. You might even want to get a shower chair so you'll be more comfortable.
    Imma - making the most of my day
  • mjking
    Options
    You're very welcome Ann - it was my wife's idea. Glad you found it useful. What are you having done yourself?

Mike

:grin:
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    when gathering your stuff up for the hospital go for short sleeves on nighties or shirts , most of us need a cannula in place for a while , ask if you will be having and equipment fitted to come home with , i have a leg brace at the moment and finding stuff to ware is a nightmare my trouser legs are not wide enough to fit over it ,
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • lalla
    lalla Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Great lists , can I also add if you are going for MRI scan, a swimsuit(ladies only!) with no metal underwiring, worn under elasticated waist trouser(no metal eyelets) gives support without affecting the scanner.
    Also if having from waist level down scanned, ask if you can go in feet first.On my MRI last week the technician put me in that way and it felt so less claustraphobic, in fact I felt very much more relaxed than my previous scan Linda
  • girlyxcharlie
    girlyxcharlie Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm on the waiting list for a total pelvic osteotomy and have found all the tips really great. I have had a few ops on my hip so far and one thing that I have found useful is buying some PJ's two sizes too big to accommodate the swelling. Oh and being extra nice to those closet to you to make up for the crabbiness they will suffer with around the surgery has always helped too!

Charlie
    xxx
  • dingbat77
    dingbat77 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I started my diet a few months ago as want to try and lose some weight on advice of consultant so hopefully all my PJ's will be too big
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Some good tips there, having spent over 3 months in hospital I know how important it is to get it right.
    I found my biggest problem was nights and getting to sleep or constantly being woken up, and not getting back to sleep.
    Books or e.books and if possible media, be it TV or Ipod, but don't forget earphones.
    All those that are going or expecting to go in, I hope your experiences will be smooth for you.

Arfa
  • manxygirl
    manxygirl Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Mike,

Have found this very helpfull as due to have a full hip replacement.

Never thought about having the computer somewhere I can reach it or the phone charger etc.

Its the little things I suppose you don't really think about.

Thanks
    Manxygirl.