laptop problems-Joseph!

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 21. Aug 2010, 01:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
Every time I log in to google Chrome or internet explorer the laptop is trying to send me elsewhere. Just now i was sent off sites relating to goods for sale (arthritis linked products, a tens machine, a blood cleansing products). I also successfully logged onto look at the Vectron Wave( a toy) and then the laptop tried to send me off to a site called WTC.
I have had the security checked since geting identitiy threats and told all is well. I am concerened.
any advice Joseph? Is anyone else having or had similiar problems?

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Every time I log in to google Chrome or internet explorer the laptop is trying to send me elsewhere. Just now i was sent off sites relating to goods for sale (arthritis linked products, a tens machine, a blood cleansing products). I also successfully logged onto look at the Vectron Wave( a toy) and then the laptop tried to send me off to a site called WTC.
    I have had the security checked since geting identitiy threats and told all is well. I am concerened.
    any advice Joseph? Is anyone else having or had similiar problems?

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth...If you scroll down to the bottom of the google chrome page you can click on ...."learn more tricks" (in blue) see if you can work out what has been happening from there! good luck CB
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou. I am supposed to have enough security on my laptop but it seeems something has got through. I will try that allan.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Every time I log in to google Chrome or internet explorer the laptop is trying to send me elsewhere. Elizabeth
    You probably mean, everytime you start up Chrome or IE you are sent to a rogue page.

This is known as 'home page hijack' and its caused by visiting a site which is suspect and which downloads a hijack file in the background.

If you're using Internet Explorer and your home page has been changed, you can often reset it yourself.

Restart IE then go to http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx and download and run the Malicious Software Removal Tool. This should clear most rogue hijack programs off your computer.

•Close Internet Explorer and all other programs that are running.
    •Open just Internet Explorer.
    •Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
    •Click the Advanced tab then click Reset.
    •In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
    •When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK
    •Close Internet Explorer.
    Restart your laptop. Update and run your antivirus.

By doing both of these things IE at least should be returned to normal. Clear the Home page info on Chrome and you may also find that it can be reset to what you want.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are a wondrous fount of knowledge Joseph: now may I pick your brains please? I have tried to find the answer to this but have so far failed: why does my computer lose its compatability settings? It does this after it has installed McAffee updates - does that upset my machine? My suspicion is yes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thankyou Joseph. A hijack it is. Often i have problems coming on this forum and today when I logged in it sent me off to a games arcade page again. Earlier I was sent off to Colon treatment! I log out and start again.

My computer man checked everything for me and said it was okay. He advised me not to go on IE but my son downloaded it straight after laptop man left. Im loathe to interfere myself as computers re not my strong point. Will it cause any problems if I do as you have described?

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Not long to go now Rehab.
    If its any help new computers have just as many problems!
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • livinglegend
    Options
    I can only give general advice that I have obtained from various sources, if anything does go wrong I cannot be held responsible. It is always at your own risk, as different computers have different setups, programs and 'whatever' on them.

The information that I gave you is from http://www.microsoft.com/protect/terms/hijacking.aspx I would therefore advise you to read all of that web page first. Then it is your decision as to what to do.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thats all right Joseph, I asked you for advice.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • livinglegend
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I think it was Bill Gates who said that customers will never need more than 1meg of memory
    "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer," Gates reportedly said at a computer trade show in the early 1980s. Only he didn't really say it. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/tech-myths/5-myths-about-bill-gates3.htm

Sorry Rehab, cyberhoax.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • livinglegend
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    You will be telling me next that the lovely lady from Nigeria that I have been speaking to doesn't really have $6 million to put into my account :roll:
    Have the Lads from Lagos been emailing you again?m0328.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif