Football

Options
noeltone
noeltone Member Posts: 878
edited 22. Sep 2010, 03:25 in Community Chit-chat archive
I know there are some on here who like football and follow teams such as Ipswich and the new season is now underway we must forget the England and world cup perhaps and analysing it but hey I am happy being a canary as we now have Stephen Fry on board as well as Queeen Delia how do you think your teams will fare this season?????

Comments

• carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am a Falkirk Bairn ..... need I say more?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, the sainted Deals, as she is known in this household. The rallying battle cry of 'Where are yer? Where are yer?' is oft-quoted here to. Has Mr Fry joined in as well? Has he really sunk so low as to follow a sport enjoyed by the great unwashed?

I am learning to like football. Living with a husband who has followed it for years (although now going off the boil somewhat, it has to be sad) my testicular credentials have improved over time. My premier League team is Chelski, and always has been. Obviously Ipswich are my Championship side, the other divisions I ignore. I do have a soft-spot for Stranraer (we went there once, upon a wet, Sunday afternoon in October. God-forsaken little town.) One of my male friends is a dedicated Torquay supporter, despite never going there in his life. It is the illogicality of somne football supporters which I find so endearing.

The best part of the new season is that a) Fighting Talk is back and, I hope, b) Danny Baker too. Essential Saturday morning listening, especially DB. He is one of my favourite broadcasters. Erudite, witty, supremely daft, his shows are great.

The dismal England performance should be forgotten yes, but I soundly hope that the Roonster and the others are routinely booed for one minute of every game they play this season. They earn obscene amounts of money for doing very little and they just could not be a***d to put in a performance in SA. They showed little respect for the manager, their supporters and their country. Arrogant, jumped-up little *******. (add your own words - hopefully I've put enough stars!) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Aston Villa for me. Not had the best of season starts losing our manager.
    I am not as keen on football since the money rolled in. I remember standing on the Goldstone Ground terraces(Brighton was my local team) shouting Seagulls, and being frozen, pushed by all the male yobs behind me and suffering all the awful 0-0 games. I actually have fond memories....

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I'm a Derby girl through and through. 'Nuff said.

Nx

PS - I don't know why you're taking the mickey, Len - you live in BRUM!
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Who are all these teams???

Glasgow Rangers champions again.

Oh yes and we play in the champions league :D

No comments about the poor standard of Scottish football please :P
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    William, william, william, we know your teams - all 14 of them or whatever it is! Do you think there would be any benefit if Scottish and English football were to become one? It would broaden the mix for your teams, but I suppose the whole season would become too unwieldy. DD
  • williamlargs
    Options
    I think Rangers and that other mob who's name I never speak should be invited to join the premiership.

I usually follow the Gers abroad once a year or so with my son so a couple of sorties into Englandshire would be no problem :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Englandshire! You make us sound like Hobbits! It could be good to have the Scottish premiership involved: we have the few very big teams who, frankly, have spoiled footy. They should be hived off into a small divsion of their own and kept away from the rest of the premiership. It would be good to let the lesser premier teams have a crack at winning the league. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    yoville always have my heart. worksop where we live do not play here but miles away and charge far to much to get in so do not bother with them go to watch lads play when they in town they pay to play so are doing it for the love rather than the money so it st josephs and disralies this year val
    val
  • williamlargs
    Options
    Wise and knowledgeable words DD. And no I don't mean that from a 'for a woman perspective' :wink:

Most leagues particularly now a days have their top teams who are always there or there abouts. In England they have 5, or maybe 6 now with the big spending of Man City.

We in northern Britain have 2. The mighty Rangers and the other lot who in all honesty think they are Irish. Thats for another discussion though and nothing against any folks from the Emerald Isle on here.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for the compliment: I shall show The Husband my post and watch him fall about laughing! My favourite boy sport however is rugby. Proper game played by proper men in a proper way. Phwoar! DD

PS How did yesterday's dog-walking go?
  • williamlargs
    Options
    Fine ta. Felt a bit 'not just right after tea time' last night which was either my first encounter with a side effect or more likely the vegetable spring rolls I had for lunch :lol:

Fine today though. Looking forward to packing in the anti inflams and paracetomol in preperation for tomorrow night's gig. Going to risk a few beers as well. What the hell!!!

What you up to this weekend? Whatever it is hope its good and reasonably pain free.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Beer and curry with old friends tomorrow. Yippee! Two of my favourite foodstuffs in one evening! Have a good one william, chat next week I hope. Stay well. DD
  • williamlargs
    Options
    Ta. All the best to you and yours :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    And the same back! Enjoy the gig tomorrow - do ladies throw their underwear at you? DD
  • williamlargs
    Options
    Not with this band.

Funnily enough when I was much younger and playing solo I used to entertain weekly at an arthritis care hotel believe it or not!

One night I joked about never having knickers thrown at me. About 20 mins later a, lets say mature, lady disappeared up to her room only to return a few minutes later and launched a pair of 'bloomers' at me, clean ones I must add :lol:

I have dined out on that story to this day. The band I play in now is very much of the classic rock covers variety.

I could tell you some stories but they can wait for another time.

Regards
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh. I am a Tractor girl.

William: there is some irony in that, isn't there?! DD
  • tkachev
    Options
    Not with this band.

Funnily enough when I was much younger and playing solo I used to entertain weekly at an arthritis care hotel believe it or not!

One night I joked about never having knickers thrown at me. About 20 mins later a, lets say mature, lady disappeared up to her room only to return a few minutes later and launched a pair of 'bloomers' at me, clean ones I must add :lol:

I have dined out on that story to this day. The band I play in now is very much of the classic rock covers variety.

I could tell you some stories but they can wait for another time.

Regards

That would be Linda legs.

Elizabeth :wink:

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    TKACHEV! I am giggling! What an nasturtium to cast upon legs! DD

(Sorry, family joke: for 'nasturtium' read 'aspersion')
  • tkachev
    Options
    Its okay I thought I d post it before Linda did. She knows I am only joking....

By the way Linda I didnt see the word mature until after Id posted!

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    OK, tractor boys won, more convincingly than those NFNs in Norwich. Come on you blu-ers! DD
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    DD The sign of agood team is they play not so well but still win and get 3 points Ill wager a bar of Frys or a virtual creme egg yellows will finish higher then blues
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Its okay I thought I d post it before Linda did. She knows I am only joking....

By the way Linda I didnt see the word mature until after Id posted!

Elizabeth x

You got me sussed Elizabeth :roll: ....and I like to think I'm like a fine wine ................or cheese if you're near my feet :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Luv Legs who needs her bloomers back 'cos it's draughty :oops:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning noeltone - I accept your wager! A virtual creme egg it is.

William, you must be a happy boy too today - 3-0 to your lot. Well done. How did the gig go? Many knickers cast off? DD
  • williamlargs
    Options
    Morning DD yes great result and a great gig thanks. The tractor boys how ironic. Is Mr Keane still the manager?