fleeced by toyota

Options
cthornley
cthornley Member Posts: 627
edited 20. Aug 2010, 10:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
Warning a bit of a car related rant
Once again took my car for its annual service & MOT and feel like i've been fleeced for every penny....its amazing how they always seem to find something wrong even when the car seems to be running perfectly fine.

I am getting more sceptical tho...last time they told me something needed replacing and it was going to cost me another £750, I told them I couldn't afford it at that point then promptly forgot to do anything about it....bizarrely this time round it seems to have fixed itself!:shock:

THis time they phoned me to tell me it needed new brake pads and discs AGAIN and a new water pump....the guy on the phone said i needed it to pass the MOT....seems actually after agreeing to it and paying for it, that that isn't exactly true and that it was according to the report just recommended

I keep meaning to take it to another garage but the Toyota one is right next to my office so I don't need to take a day off to take it as I don't exactly have loads of spare time and the thought of taking a 2yr old with me on a weekend makes me want to cry. Although this times shocker of a bill might prompt me into action as I can't afford to keep being a mug, no matter how much I love my car.

I have been having a few hard weeks and this was almost the final straw....I can't believe a garage man nearly made me cry I think it was just too much, I think being in pain makes me emotional which just makes me annoyed with myself.....anyway ok annoyed rant finished
Kick me if I do it again next year:roll:

Chrissie

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Chrissie
    We have a Toyota...only once did we take it to a Toyota dealer :shock: we now take it to our local garage...such a difference..
    If you think they are ripping you off, report them ...it will stop them doing it to anyone else.
    I am so sorry you are having a bad time, lots of hugs to you ((((())))
    I hope you find another garage nearby, ask around see what people recommend.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Never use a main dealer. I am lucky in that my local garage is run by a woman. NO teeth-sucking and head-shaking from her boys - just honest appraisals of what needs doing eg, well that tyre could be done now but it's good for another 5 thousand, bring it in then. They fit new windscreen wipers for me (a job I used to do myself) and check my tyre pressures, as I can no longer manage to do that. When I take my car in for its MOT they drive me home again, so I don't have to hang around. When it's done, they fetch me - admittedly all in my car, but it's thoughtful and kind! Your garage may be convenient, but convenience is expensive sometimes. See if you can find someone more helpful. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    in a similiar vein i wont be buying a Honda again! i take to main dealers as previous car makes i have and everything was fine.
    car not high mileage. had mot and service, gave me a deal of £180, then told it needed something, was it bush or suspension, ones of those as last year told it needed the one (quote garage for one bush £170 to pass mot,took to local garage got 2 bushes for £180), so this time must be suspension struct or someting another £200. Also per schedule due cam belt another £200!, then car tax.
    Thats car no 1.
    car no 2 due same time service £150, then car tax!!
    all on visa! no car, no job so needed!
    then this govt will be taking tax credit of us in 2 years, talk of child benefit, hubbie overtime stopped, great isnt it?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    How old is your car Chrissie. I would take it for its MOT and if there is a problem they would fail you but i bet its not that bad. it is just a chance for them to get some money off you as the other so-called problem mysteriously corrected itself. They love to scare you out of your hard earned cash.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I go to a local un afilliated Nissan dealer with my Toyota Rav 4 to get it serviced, I had the same problem with the local Toyota dealer, MOT and service cost £237, I have however ued them for big jobs as they know the car, I had a clutch go and they were cheaper than any other garage round here and they were also quick at doing it.