A query for parents

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 23. Aug 2010, 07:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
Harry is now almost 4months old and has been formula feeding for 2 months. He' not a big eater but for his weight he 'should' taking between 30-35oz every day but he's taking between 15-25oz. I know that he might not hit the 30-35oz every day but occasionally might be nice.
He's recently had a cold so is now struggling with congestion (I'm off to Boots tomorrow to get some saline to put up his nose as this apparently helps according to my older sister) but he's gone to bed tonight after taking only half an ounce and that was with a lot of crying and fighting him.
How long do I leave it before contacting anyone for help regarding his eating? Will it get better after he weans in a couple of months?
Other than he's eating he is a happy little chap.

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jen

Harry's cold is probably the reason he isn't very hungry. His appetite will return when he is better, I'm sure.

Babies vary a lot in how much they eat, and if Harry is happy and thriving, I'm sure he will be fine soon.

But I think that if you have any worries, you should ask for a professional opinion from a health visitor or doctor. It will put your mind at rest to have a chat with someone who can see Harry, and is in a better position to advise you.

I hope he will feel better soon.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Jenzie

Some mums start their baby on solids earlier than 6 months if they have an unhappy baby who is not taking enough milk. You say Harry is a happy baby except when feeding and if he sleeps well too I would not worry too much about it. As Harry is not feeling too great as he has had a cold that will not induce him to take too much milk. If he is not doing a growing spurt at the moment, that will also make a difference.

What is your gut feeling about Harry and his feeding?

It is all well and good giving out these guidelines but each baby is different. Why not see someone about it if you are worried and put your mind at rest?

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, Do you attend a health clinic for weighing etc. :?:
    If he is happy & gaining weight then i wouldnt worry too much.
    I started to introduce solids at 4 months but dont do dairy & egg (i think ) Til 6 months.
    I started with a litlle baby rusk or rice added to the bottle last thing at night & mine always slept well on that,tummys full.
    Then i slowly introduced solids on a spoon.
    I hope alls well with baby,but as said if your worried best to seek help/advice for little 'un & your peace of mind.
    Long time since i did babies. debs
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I totally agree with the advice given here. If Harry is otherwise a happy baby, then don't worry too much about his feeding. Otherwise, see your health visitor for a chat.

Every baby is different. We followed the books to the letter with our eldest but by the time our 3rd came along, I'm sure we were giving her bits of chapatti to chew on at 4 months :)

Nx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Yes ditto Pixie. I would say the same for piece of mind and better safe than sorry,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Harry has never had a huge appetite and is long and slim in build (just like his great grandad who he was named after) but his congestion is reducing what he will take. He's gone to bed tonight after taking a couple of ounces.
    I'm going to weigh him on Thurs just to make sure he is gaining weight (not expecting a huge increase). But other than his eating he is a happy little boy, lots of smiles and chatting.

I plan to contact the hv once his sniffles have cleared up if his eating doesn't improve. To be honest he may do better on solids but he's too dinky yet to try. Very interested in watching us eat though.
  • sillyswede
    sillyswede Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi there, and nice to meet you! :)

Firstly, I want to say that I've always thought there's far too much hysteria and obsession by health professionals this days about how much a baby/child should eat and how much weight they should gain. They're individuals, just like us adults! The health pro's need to chill a little and stop putting so much pressure and stress on mums!

His cold would definitely affect him and his ability to eat/drink, especially if his nose keeps getting blocked.

I agree with above posters, trust your instincts. If he's happy and content with what the amount he's eating, great. If you think he might it might be time to introduce solids, why not try a little baby porridge or rusks?

Weight and height charts are great for guidance and reassurance, but if your little boy is happy I wouldn't worry. A hungry baby would not let his hunger slip passed you - you would know about it! Babies and children always seem to make sure they get all that they need! :)
  • grampyal
    grampyal Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Sillyswede is not so silly. As grandparents we have seen how much harder life is for new parents than in our day despite all the modern aids. There seems to be too much advice, most of it conflicting. We didn't even know about cot death in the 70s so got on with letting he child sleep in whatever position suited them. "Experts" get a good living by being experts and they are not always right. If your baby is happy and developing well at its own speed don't worry about exact amounts given by food manufacturers. All children are different and your own latent instincts will tell you if there is anything wrong with your child. Then is the time for action.
    Best wishes, Al
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Elna likes the last two postings. :D
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.