33yrs old just been told I have Arthritis, help!

tillypink
tillypink Member Posts: 212
edited 6. Nov 2010, 15:12 in Say Hello Archive
hi

I;m 33yrs old just been told I have Arthritis in my left hip, scared and confused all at the same time.

Comments

  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Tilly and welcome........

    What flavour of Arthritis do you have........

    I hope you join in...........We try to help each other...........through the good......and not so good....

    Rob x a045.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh, I am so sorry. I don't know what to say, I've had an oddly rough day, out of the blue, but I will try to be more constructive tomorrow, I promise. I have psoriatic arthritis, it's like rheumatoid but with the added benefit of psoriasis. You have come to a good place, I wish I had found the forums years ago: we represent all types of arthritis, we have a wealth of knowledge between us, proper knowledge, not doctor stuff -we're living the reality of their theory. I'll come back tomorrow morning, I promise. Sleep well, you are in good hands. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Morning tillypink, 'tis I, DD, looking in as I promised. I hope you had a good night with some sleep. As Rob said, if we know what type of arthritis that would help us help you: OA is treated differently to RA and PA as its root cause is different. I think you said it's just the one hip - although I have many affected joints I am thankful that my hips are not included - yet!

    Please have a look around the other forums: LWA (living with arthritis) is where we cover meds, operations, and try to help each other out with practical suggestions. Chitchat is usually more light-hearted, tho we do get serious sometimes. Working Matters is self-explanatory really! Hope to hear from you soon, on a thread somewhere. DD
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Morning tillypink, 'tis I, DD, looking in as I promised. I hope you had a good night with some sleep. As Rob said, if we know what type of arthritis that would help us help you: OA is treated differently to RA and PA as its root cause is different. I think you said it's just the one hip - although I have many affected joints I am thankful that my hips are not included - yet!

    Please have a look around the other forums: LWA (living with arthritis) is where we cover meds, operations, and try to help each other out with practical suggestions. Chitchat is usually more light-hearted, tho we do get serious sometimes. Working Matters is self-explanatory really! Hope to hear from you soon, on a thread somewhere. DD

    Hi again, sorry was just overwhelmed yesterday with the news and stuff, not what I expected the consultant to say.. told me I have severe osteoarthritis in the hip.

    I've been on the sick since march and back and fore to the dr's with just pain killers etc, as they did't know what was causing it, just thought it was my weight, typical really..

    My consultant reckons its due to having pin's in my hip when I was a child and its been slowly deteriorating.

    Looking at this web site last night I've been reading loads, but just think its brain overload at the min..

    Have to wait now, to go to my own dr's next week for some more advice and my consult wants me to go for an MRI scan now also to see how far it is, and if anywhere else.

    thanks for listening to me moan.

    x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Firstly, you are not moaning: it's a great deal to comprehend and come to terms with. Secondly, this is the place to unload and ask questions. Thirdly, I can't help at all as I have PA (psoriatic arthritis) which is a whole different ball game to yours. Get thee onto the Living With Arthritis forum and post your info there. That is where most people hang around, and there are many OAers who will be able to help. Please, tillypink, re-post on LWA, you will have some answers there. Take care. See you there! DD
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Firstly, you are not moaning: it's a great deal to comprehend and come to terms with. Secondly, this is the place to unload and ask questions. Thirdly, I can't help at all as I have PA (psoriatic arthritis) which is a whole different ball game to yours. Get thee onto the Living With Arthritis forum and post your info there. That is where most people hang around, and there are many OAers who will be able to help. Please, tillypink, re-post on LWA, you will have some answers there. Take care. See you there! DD

    welcome tillypink you wiil find it very uplifting here lots to join in with and lots of good advice....forgive the lack of punctuation etc. got my t.e.ns on my bad hand :?
    dd hope you are having a better day today..chin up cb
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    cebeem wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Firstly, you are not moaning: it's a great deal to comprehend and come to terms with. Secondly, this is the place to unload and ask questions. Thirdly, I can't help at all as I have PA (psoriatic arthritis) which is a whole different ball game to yours. Get thee onto the Living With Arthritis forum and post your info there. That is where most people hang around, and there are many OAers who will be able to help. Please, tillypink, re-post on LWA, you will have some answers there. Take care. See you there! DD

    welcome tillypink you wiil find it very uplifting here lots to join in with and lots of good advice....forgive the lack of punctuation etc. got my t.e.ns on my bad hand :?
    dd hope you are having a better day today..chin up cb

    Thanks you all. will do now :)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi it a lot to take in but at least you know the cause so that one good thing now they can help yoy. you will be up down angry sad you name it and you will feel it do not worry it normal we are here when you need us this lot know most things hugs val
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    valval wrote:
    hi it a lot to take in but at least you know the cause so that one good thing now they can help yoy. you will be up down angry sad you name it and you will feel it do not worry it normal we are here when you need us this lot know most things hugs val

    Hi Val

    Thanks for the reply means alot. Certainly is a rollercoaster of emotions at the min.

    This site is helping though.

    :lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    tillypink wrote:
    valval wrote:
    hi it a lot to take in but at least you know the cause so that one good thing now they can help yoy. you will be up down angry sad you name it and you will feel it do not worry it normal we are here when you need us this lot know most things hugs val

    Hi Val

    Thanks for the reply means alot. Certainly is a rollercoaster of emotions at the min.

    This site is helping though.

    :lol:



    i know it no help but you will get through it and we will help come in cafe if you do not want to rely to set topic moan if you need to or just ask questions that you feel silly asking docit does help good luck val
  • mjking
    mjking Member Posts: 145
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi tillypink!

    I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both hips last August by my DR and saw my consultant in September.

    He offered me hip resurfacing rather than replacement, due to me being relativley young (51) This is a less intrusive op - known as the Bham Way, as it was invented there - than THP (toal hip replacement).

    It involves shaving off the arthritic bits and recovering the area with metal. (that's a layman's description!)

    As you are so young, you would seem a candidate for this but I have read that due to bone and body shape, women are often not suitable for this.

    I had my 1st hip done (in B'ham, as it happens) 2 months ago and so far its been good.

    Please feel free to ask me more once you have seen your DR.

    Good Luck!

    Mike :):)
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    mjking wrote:
    Hi tillypink!

    I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both hips last August by my DR and saw my consultant in September.

    He offered me hip resurfacing rather than replacement, due to me being relativley young (51) This is a less intrusive op - known as the Bham Way, as it was invented there - than THP (toal hip replacement).

    It involves shaving off the arthritic bits and recovering the area with metal. (that's a layman's description!)

    As you are so young, you would seem a candidate for this but I have read that due to bone and body shape, women are often not suitable for this.

    I had my 1st hip done (in B'ham, as it happens) 2 months ago and so far its been good.

    Please feel free to ask me more once you have seen your DR.

    Good Luck!

    Mike :):)

    Hi Mike

    Thanks for the info, still coming to terms with everything, feel silly being taken so back with the news but at 33 its not what I was expecting.

    Got my MRI in 9weeks, so gonna see where I go from there.

    How you feeling now after ur ops, do u still have any pain at all?

    thanks

    Lisa(tillypink)
  • mjking
    mjking Member Posts: 145
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lisa

    I don't think you are being 'silly' having trouble coming to terms with it at all. I was much older than you and still didn't expect to be told I had arthritis in BOTH hips - nor that it was really 'severe'.

    But I had been in a lot of pain for nearly a year before I was diagnosed so having a solution seemed good.

    I have very little pain now in the leg that was operated on. The actual wound still hurts a bit from time to time and I can get 'muscle' pain if I walk too much.

    My problem is lack of sleep as I'm advised to sleep on my back for about another 4 weeks & I just cannot sleep well this way.

    My other problem is I'm much more aware of the arthritic pain in my other leg now ....

    Hope it all goes well for you,Lisa ...

    Mike :)
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    mjking wrote:
    Hi Lisa

    I don't think you are being 'silly' having trouble coming to terms with it at all. I was much older than you and still didn't expect to be told I had arthritis in BOTH hips - nor that it was really 'severe'.

    But I had been in a lot of pain for nearly a year before I was diagnosed so having a solution seemed good.

    I have very little pain now in the leg that was operated on. The actual wound still hurts a bit from time to time and I can get 'muscle' pain if I walk too much.

    My problem is lack of sleep as I'm advised to sleep on my back for about another 4 weeks & I just cannot sleep well this way.

    My other problem is I'm much more aware of the arthritic pain in my other leg now ....

    Hope it all goes well for you,Lisa ...

    Mike :)

    Thanks Mike, u've certainly been through the wars :o ! glad ur on the mend now :) !!

    I'm finding it hard to sleep now, before I even have an operation, specially as I love sleeping on my belly :mrgreen: , but getting there!

    x

    lisa
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 28,072
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lisa

    welcome to the forums from me - late due to hols in france.

    It is such a shock isn't it?

    You neeed to be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to adjust to this huge shock.

    Allow us to support yo while you get your head round it all.

    Theses guys about kept me sane when it first kicked off for me.

    Love

    Toni xx
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Lisa

    welcome to the forums from me - late due to hols in france.

    It is such a shock isn't it?

    You neeed to be kind to yourself and allow yourself time to adjust to this huge shock.

    Allow us to support yo while you get your head round it all.

    Theses guys about kept me sane when it first kicked off for me.

    Love

    Toni xx

    Hi Toni , thanks for ur kind words :) , its not been easy but getting there, trying to be positive , but having a bad pain day today.. but my own fault, did to much yesterday,but was to nice to stay in side.

    Hope u had a nice holiday :) , how long u been suffering with Arthritis?

    x

    Tillypink
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 28,072
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lisa

    Oh dear - that's one thing you learn - how to pace yourself :roll:

    I think I had it goin on for years had back op 7 years ago...

    This inflamaotory malarky has been more recent only a little over two years so I still remember the shock and blind terror of that time. This lot kept me sane.

    And the pain - before it got more under contriol.

    I do hope you feel more in control soon - it helps - once you have a plan it helps.

    LOve

    Toni xx
  • ANDYAJ
    ANDYAJ Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi tillypink im andy, and i suffer from osteoarthritis in my left hip, due to major motorcycle accident in1987 when i was 19 years old. I am now 42 years old and still suffering because things are getting worse and i am struggling to cope with my condition these days.
    Pain killers dont work anymore because ive been taking them for years and my body has got used to them now.
    Eventually one day the hospital will replace my hip joint.
    I have found over the years that gp's dont take our condition serious enough and just fob us off with worthless drugs.
    Make sure you really push your gp for all and any help you feel you need to help you cope with arthritis, and speak to others to find the best way for you to deal with your symptoms. good luck for the future, take care. ANDYAJ

Who's Online

5
Edgey_75
Edgey_75
Keef
Keef
+3 Guests