hd tv

Options
only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 23. Aug 2010, 11:26 in Community Chit-chat archive
hello

has anyone got any ideas how a friend can solve this tec problem it might be one for joseph i dont know, anyway his tv is hd ready but its not got the hd contections on the tv as hd box for hi defintion tv he with virgin phone, broadband, tv , can anyone help.

if you can he would be grateful

thanks
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I would have thought that the connections would be identical, only49. HD ready means it can receive the signal, but I think I recall it's more complicated than just plugging in a couple of leads. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    only49 wrote:
    his tv is hd ready but its not got the hd connections on the tv as hd box
    There are currently two types of HD connections in use. Earlier 'HD Ready' TVs had only DVI single or multiple connector inputs fitted, rather than the (now) standard HDMI. Check the manuals for both the TV and the HD Box as they will have a labelled picture of available connections, make a list of all the connections. They should ideally both have HDMI connections which simply requires a HDMI to HDMI cable.

If not, then the following may help with what to check.

HDMI (High Definition Media Interface) combined digital video and audio connection.

DVI (Digital Video Interface) A three jack (RCA) component video connection carries the picture information in three parts. Also uses a separate sound cable as well. Later on, this was put together into one DVI plug.

It is most likely that the Virgin box has only HDMI out and the TV has only DVI input. Firstly, if the TV has only a DVI input, check that a converter was not included with the TV when it was purchased, as most came with a HDMI/DVI converter. Sometimes it is left plugged into the back of the TV.

If it is a HDMI/DVI incompatibility problem then an appropriate Converter plus a HDMI lead should preferably be used. Be careful to get the right converter to match the output and input. Try amazon.co.uk for the converter.

That should sort the connections.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Remarkable. Do you have to look things up Joseph, or is it instinctive technical knowledge? Are you the techie equivalent of the Stig? Some say that livinglegend is actually Bill Gates in disguise but we know him as - Joseph. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • only49
    Options
    thanks everyone i pass the infomation onto him, i had a feeling there would be away round this problem, so thanks everyone.
  • livinglegend
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    The V+ only has HDMI so a converter will be needed if the TV doesn't have this type of connection. The adaptor is about £20 from somewhere like Maplins.
    Or £10 from Amazon

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    What's the TV?, I have only one HDMI input on me Sony Bravia so what I have done is got a remote splitter and can now run 3 HDMI inputs into the blighter, mind you not all at once!!, so far I have X Box 360 Freesat and an HD recorder/hard drive unit in line, mind you I should have got the 5 to 1 HDMI remote switcher as I really need more input connections!, well you live and learn I guess!?.
    Oh if any of you want to get an HDMI switcher don't go for the Argos 2 into 1 auto detecting one it's poo.
  • livinglegend
    edited 23. Aug 2010, 11:21
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Remarkable. Do you have to look things up Joseph, or is it instinctive technical knowledge? Are you the techie equivalent of the Stig? Some say that livinglegend is actually Bill Gates in disguise but we know him as - Joseph. DD
    Mainly its considered technical knowledge with the backing of techie qualifications. However, I will sometimes check online to be sure. Useful online info is often in italics, my knowledge in plain.

Some say that Livinglegend is a geek god who lives in a computer housing, others say that he is a nerd hero who eats hard drives for breakfast, but we just know him as an RA sufferer, (or is it insufferable).

He just posts on here as Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • only49
    Options
    yes joseph

you amaze me how you know all this stuff, what would we do without you, i think the answer to that is we would all be panicking like mad and in a right old muddle but as long as we got Joseph our " knight in shinning Armour " we all be just fine.