then and now

tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 25. Aug 2010, 12:02 in Community Chit-chat archive
Who was and is your favourite stand up comedian.From from the distant past Ted Ray and Max Wall From the past Dave Allan and Billy Connolly For the present Michael Macintyre Peter Kay and Jimmy Carr AND from America Jackie Mason any more?? :?:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oooooh, food for thought here. From the distant past, Tommy Cooper (but not when I was younger - I get him now). Recent past, The Big Yin and now? Michael M is a little too smug, but very funny without being rude, which is refreshing. Frankie Boyle is very funny as he targets everything, but sometimes he's too much like a five year old trying to shock granny, so my vote goes to Russell Howard. Funny, and can be both clean and dirty.

Some people on here too - mell makes me laugh as does Rob! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    From the past Bob monkhouse

Now micheal m. Peter Kay and Alan Carr.

I used to like joan rivers at one time but have gone off her now

juliepfxx
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    In the dark ages.................Harry Worth, and Spike Milligan

In the middle ages..........Harry Enfield, and Spike Milligan

Now.........Micheal MacIntyre, and Rich Hall (yes I know he's a colonial)

Greatest ever.............Has to be Mike Spilligan....

ROb x a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Jimmy Carr is very witty at times. He is the only one I know. I can remember my dad used to like Benny Hillalso Tommy Cooper.

Morcomb and Wise used to be funny though.

Trish xx
  • dreamdaisy
    That explains a lot, Rob! Especially the word play that you are so good at. Do you listen to the Goons on Radio7? (I assume you have digital radio - if you don't, I apologise for that assumption) That and Round the Horne are essential listening for me. I love the way that Milligna (the well-known typing error) would turn logic on its head. Min! Min! She's falling to bits! She's a loose woman, you know. DD
  • robertls
    Radio 7.............What happened to The Home Service, and The Light Program......No one tells me nuffin'........

Julian and Sandy are 2 of my favourites, but probably not PC anymore....

They were such fart young smellers.......

Rob x a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    I love all those, too, Rob........and Tony Hancock, Frankie Howerd, Kenneth Williams.

I haven't yet heard a modern-day 'comic' who's been able to get so much as a smile from me.........

Annie
  • robertls
    The Goons were far and away the best......as a Radio program..

But The Navy Lark must come a close second.....

And in a later era.........

Hitchers Guide to the Galaxy

In my humble opinion

Rob x a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    I don't think The Navy Lark has stood the test of time as well as Round the Horne and The Goons. I had to dish up and then go and eat just as Much Binding in the Marsh came on tonight. I have never heard that, and it sounded promising: Richard Murdoch and Kenneth Horne. All-time favourite tho? It has to be Clue, with Humph. Fabulous. DD
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    That explains a lot, Rob! Especially the word play that you are so good at. Do you listen to the Goons on Radio7? (I assume you have digital radio - if you don't, I apologise for that assumption) That and Round the Horne are essential listening for me. I love the way that Milligna (the well-known typing error) would turn logic on its head. Min! Min! She's falling to bits! She's a loose woman, you know. DD
    Some one bought me a load of audio tapes of the goon Sow a few years ago Although I hve an I pod I keep the walkman for the goons.I really am A SILLY TWISTED BOY :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Gritpype-Thynne. What a voice from Mr Sellars. DD