A Daft Question Re ESA?

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 25. Aug 2010, 08:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I just wondered if one goes to appeal and they say you are put into the work related group, what does that mean? Is it that youre a jobseeker again or do you still get ESA? I dont know what this means and it may sound a silly question but nonetheless if someone can answer would be good.....
My doctor wrote to my CLA solicitor stating that i could not do tasks such as:-

Stand for more than 10mins even if free to move around/needing to sit.
Cannot pick up light pbject off floor or low shelf etc...
Cannot walk more than 100metres before get considerable pain and need to stop or sit down. Same on level or up/downhill ground.

She however has recommended I can obtain work with help from so called related group...Now what a doctor on £100,000 per annum knows about this I doubt very much, easy to say not to do...So it looks like im likely to head down this route....Feel a bit let down by doc really....

Thanks

Elainex

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This may possibly be a daft answer, but it is one that springs to mind. The phrase 'work related' indicates to me that potential employment should be selected from those areas that match your physical capabilities, e.g till work is a possible, as you are sitting, not stretching or bending, whereas street cleaning wouldn't be, 'cos of all the walking involved. These are just my examples elaine, not an indication of what work I think you can do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

You continue to get ESA while in the Work- Related Activity Group

this is what dwp say about it.

Work Related Activity Group
    If you are placed in the Work Related Activity Group, you will be expected to take part in work focused interviews with your personal adviser. You will get support to help you prepare for suitable work.
    In return, you will receive a work related activity component in addition to your basic [ESA] rate.

hope this helps

Iris x

so sorry you feel let down by your doc :(
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was wrong - I've learned something too. Thanks dorcas, you are a mine of very useful information. In future I should google stuff! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Its all so confussing isn't it? They give these things such wierd names and they all seem to be slightly different. I think I'm in the Pathways to work, which gives me a personal advisor, but I havn't seen him many times as he keeps cancelling and saying he dosn't know why I'm in his group, as I'm not able to work yet!!! :lol: You have to laugh or you'll cry. (I've done some of that too). Love Sue
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thank Iris

I am a dingbat with some areas of these benefits. Its like a maze to me!
    Thats clearer ta.

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Sue

I saw a Pathways to Work guy once after my op and he basically he couldnt give a monkeys whether i got a job or nowt...Seemed like an easy peasy job to me? Sounds about right for jc staff mind!

Elainex