pain meds ...... what next after co-codamol?

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 25. Aug 2010, 11:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering for those of you who have dealt with greater pain than I have had so far ...... when the max dose of 30/500 co-codamol was no longer enough, what did you move on to?

I'm off to see my GP in the morning and am thinking of asking her for something else to have in hand if it gets worse than it is right now.

thanks
WOnky

Comments

• minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wonky, I think Tramadols & morphine based meds are next. thats what my chemists told me.
    Ive had Oramorph with the coco's also with the Zomorph slow releases for the breakthrough pain) but whilst on tramadol & dont need to take as much Oramorph. Im just trying a slow release tramadol to see if its better than the normal ones.
    I hope you dont have to go down the route of stronger meds :(
    Take care debs
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    Thanks Debs ...... I wondered if they were next, but like you say, we all hope we'll not need them, but if we do well it is better to use them than to grin and bear it sometimes I think!

hopefully I'll soon be back on the MTX, but I'm not sure how much of a hold Arthur will get before then!

hope you sleep well

WOnky
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Yep, it was the old Tramadol for me too, Wonks. If you just take them when absolutely necessary, they should give you what you need til you get back to the MTX....Much love, and cuddles for Littlelegs.....Ange.
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    Thanks Ange :D

Littlelegs is snoring away by my side ..... she won't leave me today bless her ...... she has been so good.

Tramadol it is then tomorrow :roll:

sleep well
    hugs
    WOnky xxxx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Good luck at the docs this morning wonky :wink: sorry your pain is on the increase. :(

co-dydramol is stronger than co-codamol so that might be an option.... I'm on that alternating with Tramadol and then the Amatriptyline at night.

hope you get a balance of pain meds that suits you. :wink:

Iris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Morning wonky, I hope things are tolerable today. Yes, I use co-cods 30/500 for day pain, then, when things are rough, I use Tramadol 50mg at night, as they help me sleep. I also have liquid morphine, Oromorph, for the truly excruciating times but they, thankfully, are rare. Good luck at the docs today, let us know how you fare. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    Good Morning (just made it before it's afternoon :lol: )

well am back from seeing my usual GP :D:D

feel fairly positive even after a rubbish night with little sleep. I never realised what rubbish was on the TV at 3-4am until this morning :roll: should have come on here to see who was about .... but hands weren't up to it really.

Right hand is really bad today (the one that was stung) but the other is not far behind. Right shoulder was screaming all night. With missing MTX today ( making 3 weeks in total so far) and next week looking unlikely I asked what we could do.

My GP suggested that we would be better trying a different NSAID rather than adding in more pain meds, so I'm ditching the Ibupofen for now & starting Naproxen to see if that helps .... both the GP and pharmacist think that I might even be able to lower some of the Co-codamol doses in time :D

My GP saw the rash for the first time and said it looked quite like Eczema, although not all of it ...... checked my urine to make sure it couldn't be vascullitis (all was fine) ...... so .......I can stop using that awful Coal Tar soap which has done nothing for the rash and dried out my skin :D:D:D:D:D , and instead I have 'Epaderm' cream which I can use 3 ways - instead of soap, in the bath, and as a moisturiser :D:D:D:D:D

Feeling quite positive at the moment ......... hopefully that will continue. Will need to have a quiet day today. maybe will have more energy tomorrow.

thanks for all the support

WOnky xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    make sure you eat with the naproxen and if get stomache probs they will give you stomache protector good luck they do help only take pain meds when things get bad now not all the time val
    val
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi wonky :D

glad you had a good doc appointment :wink:
    hope the change of anti inflams helps..... but don't suffer for too long if they don't.
    your hands and shoulder sound so sore flower :roll: :|

what about the antibis? you started on them yet? fingers crossed that between the antibiotics & the epiderm cream they help your skin. you are going through the mill these past weeks.

Have a restful day wonky.

love n (((hugs)))

Iris x
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    valval wrote:
    make sure you eat with the naproxen and if get stomache probs they will give you stomache protector good luck they do help only take pain meds when things get bad now not all the time val

Thanks Val That is great to know ...... I hadn't thought about asking to change the ibuprofen because I thought we'd exhausted all the choices ....... and I got well warned about taking the Naproxen with food - the pharmacist I uses is fab.

Wonky xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi wonky :D

glad you had a good doc appointment :wink:
    hope the change of anti inflams helps..... but don't suffer for too long if they don't.

what about the antibis? you started on them yet?

HI Iris,

DOn't worry ..... I know I can go back if things don't get any better.

I started the antibiotics yesterday lunchtime. Not sure my stomach approves but hopefully the bacteria will be wiped out before I am :wink:

I'm off to watch a DVD now I think :D

Is there a slight irony in the fact that it will probably be ER I watch :? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ta for the hugs - sending some back for you too ((())))
    WOnky
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I Wonky
    Sorry I am late with this, at least you had a good appointment, I found that the anti inflammatories ment I could lower the pain meds, but like Val say make sure you eat with them, and drink loads of water, I have just had tramadol stopped, because it didnt suit me, and now got gabapentin.
    I really hope the meds work for you, nothing worse then the pain.
    You take care
    Sending loads of hugs ((((((()))))
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Glad you had a positive appointment Wonky, my anti-inflamms are my best defence - I always take them and add in pain killers as and well needed. Hope the new ones help - if not ... back to the docs.

Keep us posted.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • amboritic
    amboritic Member Posts: 66
    Options
    There is a machine, very much like a TENS machine, that I bought a few years ago on the recomendation of the pain clinic.

It is by a company called Acticare, it is called a TSE machine, or Transcutaneous Spinal Electroanalgesia, spelling may be wrong.

There are only two positions for the electrodes, either side of the neck, for pain in the neck and above, and an electrode at the top and bottom of the back, for all other pain.

It can also be used as a TENS machine, they are about £150 and you don't pay the VAT if you have a long term condition.

Other than that all the other posts are spot on, though some get some side effects with Tramadol, I have been put on Co-Dydramol after years on Co-codomol 30/500, I also take Diclofenac 50mg, and sometimes Nurofen plus.
    I have also recently been taking Gota Kula from (edited by Mod ECM), which is a herbal remedy with anti inflammatory properties, not sure how much effect it has, but my CRP has dropped from over 50 to almost nothing over three weeks, with the only med from the Consultant being Sulfasalasine.

I am a bit like Tesco, every little helps.