Anybody

Options
tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 25. Aug 2010, 14:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm taking 2 Ibuprofen powders and I Artilog tablet a day along with a buffer capsule first thig Doesn't seem to be doing a scrap of good pain just gets worse Anyone tried this combo and did it work Any ideas of anything better I can ask for?The pain just gets worse The problem is my hip but the whole leg hurts :(

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Morning tonesp, poor you. I presume by a buffer tablet you mean a stomach protector like omeprazole, I don't know what artilog is, but ibuprophen doesn't have anything like the welly us people need, well, it doesn't for me.

For daytime pain relief I use co-codamol 30/500, a mixture of codeine and paracetamol. They cause constipation so I also take docusate tablets to help with that (beer and curry is usually the answer tho!) For tougher times I use Tramadol 50mg. These are morphine-based, and do knock me out, so I save those for night-time. For the rare occasions when I am climbing the walls I resort to Oromorph, liquid morphine.

There are many forms of pain relief available here, and I am sure there too. It all depends on whether you can tolerate codiene or morphine - many people cannot. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Tonesp
    I would suggest you see your GP as soon as you can to get a prescription for something else. Do you have OA? I have OA and I take diclofenac, amytriptine, tramadol and if pain is really bad paracetamol.

I hope the pain settles down soon.

Regards
    Sharmaine
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    Hi Tone sorry about your pain 4 TO 6 nurofen plus just before I get up then copious ammounts of brandy on agony days ......not to be recomended on the cusp of sorting something out at presentxxxLB/Cham :(:(

Hi cham :shock:

please be careful that you aren't overdosing on this drug :roll:
    I thought the max dose for nurofen plus in one day is 6 tabs... not 4- 6 tabs in 'one go'.
    maybe you should speak to your pharmacist cham about safe doses....and see your doc if the pain is that bad :idea:

sorry to be a clucky hen... but I wouldn't want anything to happen to you flower. :roll:

Irisx

tone... sorry to but in on your thread. :oops:
    I've been prescribed co-dydramol alternating with Tramadol for pain relief.....
    as Sharmaine said best to see your doc though and get him to review your meds....x

hope you get some relief soon. Constant pain is difficult to cope with. :roll:

Iris x
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I think I might just soldier on for a few days I went to the hospital last week for Blood ECG and Chest X Ray I have an appointment to see th Anaesthitist on tuesday so the replacement could be just around the corner Thanks for all your comments and lovely thoughts Will keep you posted :wink::wink:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Tonysp,

I would definitely see GP for more pain meds whilst you wait for your op date to arrive. Why suffer needlessly if there is something better out there. Neurofen would have been like smarties in the lead up to my op ... in fact the stronger meds only dulled the agony slightly - but was definitely better than nothing.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Oh Babycham, you too get to the docs ... taking all those neurofen together isn't good girl - and there are stronger and better anti inflams out there. The last thing you need is an ulcer on top of everything else.

Make haste.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thankfully it's not long too Friday - let us know how you get on Babycham - you definitely need a meds review.

Speedy
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Thankfully it's not long too Friday - let us know how you get on Babycham - you definitely need a meds review.

Speedy

I'll second that too bcham..... you cannot medicate yourself this way :roll: it is not safe!!
    you are obviously in a lot of pain if you're having to resort to taking more than the safe dose so PLEASE see the doc...write down what your pain's been like and tell him what/ how/ when you've been taking the meds . (sorry I'm clucking again :roll: )

Hope you get things sorted out bcham....let us know...Please :wink:

tone... I agree with speedy too ...don't wait so long for a pain meds review... you need to be on effective meds before you have your op ...not wait til after (now I'm clucking at you too...sorry :oops: :roll: )

Iris x