more scans

Options
lavenderlady
lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
edited 28. Aug 2010, 15:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
although I'm booked in to have my TWR on 27th September I have got to have a heart scan plus a stress test on my heart to make sure my anesthetic is going to be ok for me, got the scan on 7th and stress test on 9th what worrys me is the stress test is going to be a fail anyway due to not being able to walk far or run ( what ever that is ) becasue of my arther has anyone else had to do this test, I'm all set for my op mentally and would hate anything to stop me having it done, :? :cry:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    although I'm booked in to have my TWR on 27th September I have got to have a heart scan plus a stress test on my heart to make sure my anesthetic is going to be ok for me, got the scan on 7th and stress test on 9th what worrys me is the stress test is going to be a fail anyway due to not being able to walk far or run ( what ever that is ) becasue of my arther has anyone else had to do this test, I'm all set for my op mentally and would hate anything to stop me having it done, :? :cry:

hi can not help sorry but feel sure it just to make sure op wont make life worse for you if they truly thought it to dangerouse they would not have let it go as far as it has hope all goes well val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't know what the stress test entails, but you do not know that it is going to be a fail. Try to be positive, think positive thoughts - I do think that helps in all situations. You need to pass these to have your op - think of the benefit that will bring. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi lavenderlady

sorry I don't know what a 'stress test' entails. :?
    have you had anything like that before?

I'll have my fingers crossed all goes well on the 7th and the 9th and that you get the 'go ahead' for your op. :wink:

keep posting lavenderlady so's we can follow what's happening and support you. :D

Iris x

ps..maybe you could ask the helpline if they know what the stress test is :idea:
  • rachelj
    rachelj Member Posts: 121
    Options
    I have never had a stress test, but I would have thought it can be done without you having to do any physical exertion or very little, else how would they do such tests for those with no movement such as the paralysed.

Don't worry, if they didn't think you could complete the test then they wouldn't be putting you forward for it.

Good luck with it all, and think happy thoughts.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    HI Lavenderlady - I don't know anything about this stress either - but since they give THR and TKR to very elderly and inactive patients I'm sure you will be fine. If they were worried about your heart they might suggest numbing the arm and sedating you instead ... why don't you ring up the clinic and ask what the tests entail. I agree with the others they must be reasonably confident you will be ok or they wouldn't have got you this far. Keep us updated.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    apparently I am given some medication ( nuclear stuff) walk on a treadmill then scanned to see whats going on, I am also having another scan done to check my arteries ( I googled it , but yesterday went into town with mum and flet unwell my right hip and back was agony I sat down for a while then after a while I felt breathless and woozy and a pain in my chest started , dont think this is connected to my arther , but is what they are testing me for , so we came home so I could rest, am a proper miserable mare right now what with pain and worry about op although Iris helped me a hugh amount with this, but now the heart worrys and tests are grinding me down, right now am under the cardiologist the nuerologist and rhumatologist thanks goodness finsihed with the gynacologist :cry:
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Lavenderlady,
    I am sure this has knocked your confidence today. I will be glad for you when the tests are over. The stress of everything must be getting to you and you so need the reassurance of these tests.

Not easy I know but do try and keep occupied and do not put pressure on yourself. Go into pottering mode :wink:

Will be thinking of you.

Lv, Ix
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi lavenderlady

despite your worry you still manage a little poke at yourself with the 'finished with gynaecologist' remark. good on you lavenderlady. :wink:

In some ways I wish they had been able to arrange the stress test for the day after they told you you needed to have it, cause they have managed to cause you more anxiety with the wait :roll:
    but....they do have to be careful and thorough and their care and attention to detail is reassuring, even though it doesn't feel that way just now.

you are not being a miserable mare..... far from it.! you've shown such huge courage with all you've been coping with.. and are entitled to 'release' how you are feeling. You know you can come on the forum any time and we will listen and support you.

Keep posting so's we know how you are and can share the ups and downs with you. :wink

(((hugs)))

Iris x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Lavendar lady
    Sorry I know nothing about the stress test either....but as someone said earlier they wouldnt have let it get this far if they thought they wern't going to operate...it will be to cover themselves as much as anything else.

Love
    Hileena