Glasses... I just don''t see why ther'e so expensive

valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 27. Aug 2010, 14:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
last time cost £300 got two pairs and one pair varifocals but so expensive and had these two years so getting ready for new pair lol
val

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    As I understand it from my independant optician, there is a fair bit of engineering involved in making a pair of frames. They have to be light but robust, strong enough to hold the weight of the lenses, and able to withstand the trials and tribulations of every-day use. You can spend as much or as little as you like on the frames, mine average about £25. My lenses are fairly straightforward, so I am lucky in that respect, the last lot cost £40. One complete pair of specs for £65. They won't win any prizes for looking good but who cares? I can't see them when they're on, but I can see to read. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh that's miserable, I do symapthise. I haven't come across that side effect before - there is no justice in this world is there? We have variations of a rubbish disease and are given rubbish meds that cause more rubbish problems. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. How's your neck behaving now? DD
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    I have varifocal.........without them I'm as blind as a bat.....

I've never worked why they cost that much...

Last new lot I got I spent about 2 hours looking for different frames.......Assistant kept asking me 'did I need help'

Eventually I found some I liked......Took them to the counter........and she started chuckling........

When I asked why............she pointed out to me that they were exactly the same as the ones I was wearing.......

Well............at least I'm consistant......

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Thanks for the laugh Rob. Consistency is a very good thing ,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Should have gone to Specsavers Al They're even here in Spain
  • dreamdaisy
    Really? You think they're good? Not in my town they're not. I have had one incorrect prescription and wasted money on glasses that were no good, my ma-in-law has had that happen twice. They are a shower. Go to an independant person, they are more interested, take more care and time with you, and offer good advice. I will never go to a chain again. DD
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I agree it's a bloody con, I had to pay £30 for a new pair of lenses to be put into some old frames they wouldn't let me take them home and do them myself.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    have any of you tried the cheap glasses you can get from different stores, they are graded, fro around 150 strength to 450..give them a go, my OH has worn glasses all his life, and paid a fortune, he still has his eyes tested just in case they get worse.
    Then he goes and buys the £5 ones, he recons they are better then his prescription ones.
    I got my reading glasses for £2.50, they are perfect, my first ones cost £80
    Love
    Barbara
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Hi Barbara

How are you doing? :D

My OH bought a pair of the cheapy reading specs (the opticians sell them), just to keep as spares, but the optician said you should really only use them if both eyes are the same. OH's are, but my eyes are both different, so I've never used them. But OH still manages to finish the Sunday Times crossword with them (in his dreams) :wink::wink:

Lynn xxx

Buy 2 pairs of cheapy's...........One for each eye.......

Then swap lens's around.........

1 pair of 'custom' glasses

ROb x a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • tkachev
    We go to an independent opticians as the service is good. But OH did get charged £200 for a new pair of glasses in July.
    I stick to contact lenses and have done for 30 years. Only problem is I cant go on Arthritis care forum at night cos I cant see! But I refuse to spend out on glasses too.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    robertls wrote:
    Hi Barbara

My OH bought a pair of the cheapy reading specs (the opticians sell them), just to keep as spares, but the optician said you should really only use them if both eyes are the same. OH's are, but my eyes are both different, so I've never used them. But OH still manages to finish the Sunday Times crossword with them (in his dreams) :wink::wink:

Lynn xxx

Buy 2 pairs of cheapy's...........One for each eye.......

Then swap lens's around.........

1 pair of 'custom' glasses

ROb x a045.gif
    good thinking Rob.. :lol:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Hi Barbara

Lynn xxx
    Hi Lynn...good point..my eyes are the same..i just need them for reading...so I save a fortune..my OH has had his tested and there is very little difference.....the optician said they have not deteriorated....so he is back to the £5 ones
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I went to Specsavers for mine and got a pair for just over £30 :shock: This was 2 years ago and I admit they weren't the 'fashionable' frames - they didn't suit me at all. Mine are just plain gold-coloured frames.

Hubby had his eyes tested and as his were both the same they suggested he bought the cheap magnifing ones available in chemists.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    yes and i need them for work or can not see counters or buttons on till they great saves changing glasses every few mins
    val
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    mine cost a small fortune but partially my fault for picking pretty frames....I hate wearing them tho so I have to get something nice as some sort of incentive.
    The only bonus was I bought mine at Boots and got points on them so I got something back in a roundabout way....think it got spent on nappies instead tho :(
  • tkachev
    Rob, I'd end up held together with superglue and duct tape, and assorted pop rivets!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

Elizabeth, I tried contact lenses years ago - couldn't get away with them, sadly. They were coloured ones too - I had beautiful green eyes for a while (but red at night, when I took 'em out) :roll:

Lynn xx

Hi Lynn,
    I have got green eyes and found the green coloured lenses didnt do much for me but I had a blue pair and a turquoise pair. I loved them. If i had enough money I would get some more.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    We were hoping to get away for the bank holiday for a couple of days but a trip to the opticians soon put pay to that: £417.00!!! Still at least they'll give me a couple of years use (hopefully) where as 3 nights in a caravan in the rain with a 7 year old would just cost me even more money! I mean by the time I'd paid for all the therapy I'd need!!!!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    £417 Kate were they real gold rims?????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Luv Legs :|
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    lindalegs wrote:
    £417 Kate were they real gold rims?????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Luv Legs :|

Sadly not Legs and to add insult to injury I got a Costco card last week and went to their opening "do" and guess what they sell specs!!! I didn't dare go and look at the prices!!