What a mess

Options
marief
marief Member Posts: 26
edited 25. Aug 2010, 14:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
haven't posted for a while , lives been turned upside down , my partner /full-time carer of 11 years moved out last week and left the country to start new life so could only take suitcase and hand luggage got so much stuff to sort out don't no were to start .
Informed the benefits my situation had changed as we had joint income support .
Now I'm told that because I receive Incapacity benefit I receive to much money to live on so no longer able to receive Income support.
but with paying for my medication each month will ended up less money than before its madness .
I need more help now not less .
My mothers in and out of my house no stop during the day Im having to ask her for help on silly things opening jars , milk containers the list never ending .
I'm so stressed which doesn't help Arthur

sorry about this message just needed a good moan
Marie
xx

Comments

• annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear oh dear... I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I know from bitter experience how awful it feels when things all go against you like this.

Can I suggest that you try and break it down into more manageable chunks?

For a start - why are you paying for your meds? At the very least I think you should have a season ticket? Better still as you are on Benefits would it be worth checking to see if you are entitled to free prescriptions? Your surgery or if you have a helpful one your pharmacist can advise on this?

Can I also suggest you contact the Local Citizens Advice bureau and ask for their Benefits Advocate? They are independent and are expert at sorting out the tangle of the benefits system to ensure you get all you are entitled too?

Those are the practical things but you also really need to nice to yourself at the minute. Any chance of a little treat?

And do take the help that is being offered. I am sure you do you share so please do take for a while

I shall keep an eye out for you but do drop me a line either personally or on the forum if I can help

Chat soon

Annie xxx
    marief wrote:
    Hi
    haven't posted for a while , lives been turned upside down , my partner /full-time carer of 11 years moved out last week and left the country to start new life so could only take suitcase and hand luggage got so much stuff to sort out don't no were to start .
    Informed the benefits my situation had changed as we had joint income support .
    Now I'm told that because I receive Incapacity benefit I receive to much money to live on so no longer able to receive Income support.
    but with paying for my medication each month will ended up less money than before its madness .
    I need more help now not less .
    My mothers in and out of my house no stop during the day Im having to ask her for help on silly things opening jars , milk containers the list never ending .
    I'm so stressed which doesn't help Arthur

sorry about this message just needed a good moan
    Marie
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are not alone in this - at least two other ladies here have had their relationships fall apart under the strain this week - the OHs not being able to cope.

The last poster (I have forgotten the name - sorry) has given you some very good advice. It is ironic: just when one needs lots of help one has to start making huge efforts to get it, further robbing you of energy to cope with life. I am so sorry: I do not know what to say or what advice to offer as my situation is so diferent, but come and talk to us, post every moan and groan, we will do our best to get you through this. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Marie
    Your poor thing, dont you dare apologize for moaning, at least you can get it all off your chest.
    Now you must sit down , with your mum if you want, and write a list of what needs doing money wise, and any extra help you need.
    My friend was in the same situation, and went to the social to ask for help, they where fantastic.
    Ring them up or do what she did, and just turned up, trouble with that she had quite a wait, but they gave her all the forms, told her what she could claim for.
    I do hope you get some help very soon.
    Please let us know how you get on
    Sending you loads of hugs ((((((()))))
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • marief
    marief Member Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks
    for all you kind words and advice I will ring citizen advice and ask to see a benefit advocate this will help as so much red tape its mind blowing .

will let you no how it goes , I'm sure I'll be ok just having a blue day .

Marie
    xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    HI Marie,

I think you should contact CAB as soon as you can for advice on the money stuff and also get down the docs and ask for an OT referral - as there are lots of gadgets out there which can help with everyday tasks that challenge - they will come and assess you at home.

Take each day at a time and read and post on the forums when you fancy a chat.

Take care,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Heck Marie, I am so sorry.

I agree with the others, I think you should be able to sort our free prescriptions as if you are on ESA or Jobseekers for example you can get them free.

Good idea to look into the benefits entitlement - remember all the things that help eg council tax rebates, mortgage help or rent help, Disability Living Allowance etc - the CAB office will point you in the right direction.

Thinking of you.
    Carol x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Marie,

So sorry that your relationship has broken down, it's such a shame. :(

Have you got any gadgets to help you with things? Your GP/Rheumy can refer you to a community occupational therapist and then you'll be assessed to see what assitance you need around the home to help you be independant.

Hope you get the financial side of things sorted too.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Marie,

CAB are great but you will have to go and queue up for an appointment but I can assure you it will be worth it.

Invalidity benefit is not a lot so you should get help with medication costs and council tax benefit and possibly housing costs( but that all depends).
    Disability Living Allowance is non-means tested and you may qualify for it-again ask at the CAB.There is a lot of form filling but they will help you,
    Very best wishes, and keep posting
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Marie,

so sorry you're having such a turbulent time. :roll:

lots of really good advice already given for you to follow regarding benefits etc that you may be entitled to.

I'm so glad you've got your mum there; she will be such a great support to you... but no doubt worried for you too.

I just wanted to add my support to that of the other peeps. :wink:

will be thinking about you. please keep posting.

strength and love

Iris x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi Marie, im so sorry this has happen to you.
    there is alot of support on here so please post & you wont feel so alone with it all.
    Ive been in the same sort of position a few times but not whilst being disabiled & never want to be. :( failed relationships are hard enough to deal with & ive been rock bottom, wish i had this site then.

There is a really good site; entitledto..(sorry dont know how to do links) if you google it, fill in your income details,rent,councli tax etc it will calulate what your entilted to..Its private so no-one can see details & you dont have to put your name in.
    Its worth looking at & ive just saved someone a fortune using it.
    Take care & keep your chin up.
    debs