Fed up with the pain

mags1961 Member Posts: 2
Hi I've suffered from pain for over ten years and been told its wear and tear or its arthritis - live with it (doctors advice !!). I have had operations on my shoulder but pain is really in neck confirmed years ago whilst having injetions to neck that there were cervical sputs) hips and now lower back. New Doctor was going to get proper diagnosis but since severe back pain last week, taken medication and the last Dr I saw yesterday was again dismissive and told me to pay for private physio etc as the NHS waiting list was long - I cant afford it and Im really fed up. :cry:


  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Live with it - easy for him to say as he isn't. This doesn't sound good enough to me: Xrays would show if it's OA (the 'wear and tear' type) or blood tests might show another form. Physio isn't always the answer to these things: can you get another opinion from a more sympathetic doc? Keep a diary of symptoms, what aggravates it, what (if anything) eases it, how tired you are, does it have periods of being worse and then easing - if you go armed with specific info they should take you seriously. It doesn't sound as tho they are. I am sorry: I hope you can find an answer. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome,

    no that is not good enough ... you need x rays and a referral to an ortho. You have as much right to physio as anyone else - say you want to join the waiting list!! Book an appointment with the doc who was helpful - even if you have to wait/keep ringing up etc Also ask for a pain clinic referral.

    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mags

    You do need to have some more xrays and get a proper diagnosis.. I would try and get to see the nice first doctor and get him to refer you..

    Let us know how things go for you.

  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mags

    You should not have been told by any doc to ' just live with it' :? :roll: and it is jaw droppingly unfair to have been dismissed in this way by your local GP. :shock:

    Please.... as others have already said.... go back and see the 'new' doc who was keen to carry out further investigations ...xrays, blood tests etc to identify the source of your pain and get an accurate diagnosis. It is so important to know the extent and type of arther you have as that influences the treatment you ultimately receive.

    I am sorry you have been so poorly treated and hope that you do see a more compassionate doctor next time. Physio can be helpful.. but your doc can refer you. You should not be expected to go privately. :roll:

    please let us know how you get on.

    Iris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,578
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Mags,

    Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. You might want to check with your GP a little more, because they may have quite a lot on your notes about this if you've had injections and bone spurs have been diagnosed already.

    I'd imagine you might have seen some kind of specialist in the past and any letters from them that might be in your GP notes might help you understand the diagnosis.

    What some people do in this situation is ask the GP to print out those details for you to take away and read. If the GP can be persuaded to explain them to you that may help also.

    If you email us with your full name and postal address on our confidential email - helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk we can post you more information on managing back problems.
    Or just ring our freephone number.
    hope that helps