Nerve Damage - Pregabalin

Options
calcass
calcass Member Posts: 29
edited 27. Aug 2010, 08:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've had several surgeries on knees - TKR included and am now suffering in hips although my query is based on on-going severe knee and leg pain in one leg. This knee has undergone 2 TKR' s, patella resurfacement and a radical synovectomy - I think over the past twelve months I have had possibly every investigation and test done but mechanically and inflammation-wise there is no evidence for existing pain, which is constant and increases in severity with activity. ( A lot to get head round)

I have now been seen at a pain clinic by my own request and am now taking a drug - pregabalin - the doctor at this clinic explaining that my pain has been caused by nerve damage!

Can anybody else shed any light on this for me?

The medication has proved to be really effective but side effects are taking it out of me - but has dramatically reduced my pain!
Be more Panda
Ccass

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I do know of someone who takes preg but she is unable to log in at the mo due to adverse weather. (She lives in Cornwall which is, I believe, currently about 6 feet under water.) I will let her know you posted. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi, I take pregabalins & there very good. they do take a bit of getting used to.
    Dont try to go up the doses to quick, its took me a few months to get up to 200mg twice a day & im supposed to be on the full 300mg twice a day.
    If you find a level in doses that takes away the burning,trickling type pain then its working on the nerve pain.
    Ive been reading in a book recommended by pain clinic & it says the nerves are like a faulty set of traffic lights, there stuck on go instead of stop. Its the same with some amputiees they can still feel the pain in the limb even when its not there any more.
    Ive only just hit this part of the book & its quite interesting.
    the pregabalins are far better than anything else ive tried so i'd say stick with them if you can, if the feeling high is too much then lower the dose by say 50mg.
    My gp has given me a box of 50mg along with my now 200mg incase i need to up the doses. you can ask the gp to do this for you, you have the choice of dosing that suits you.I stayed on 150mg for a while & took the extra 50mg a few hours later to stop the high feeling.
    If you need to ask anything else im usualy around or send me a message, i dont mind.
    I hope you find them as useful as i do.
    debs
  • calcass
    calcass Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks Debs

I've reached a dose of 150mg twice a day plus 50mg at bed time - this seems to be working although after appt last week the doc advised me to reduce sleeping tabs seeing as if the meds were helping and I was taking one at bedtime. I normally take 3x25mg Amitriptyline so dropped to 2 tabs but discovered that this was not an option ie no sleep for few nites lol
    It's taken me about a week to catch up with myself and for pain to settle - amazing how sleep affects the pain (no sleep = xtra pain!)

I would be very interested in reading the book you mentioned - more knowledge more power lol

Thanks again
    Be more Panda
    Ccass
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Calcass,

Been on them over two years now and they are very good if they don't mess with your head too much. I went on them after a quality of life discussion with the rumo and they changed things dramatically.... they suit me very well! I have a lot of 3rd stage oa and they really have enabled me to keep going with my way of life and that's a kinda demanding way so I am basically their number one fan!

They do mess with your brain though, even now. I take 600 and stay fairly grounded but it took a long time to be able to do that. The go up weekly thing was impossible for me and I also did it in stages and took them 3 x a day but even then it was quite a while before i could take the 300 in one hit.

Unfortunately nothing bar injections of pethidine etc can eliminate all pain but to have it at an acceptable level is wonderful. The pregabalin are right there with the morphine and opiates BUT they don't make you sick but are powerful hence the messing with your brain I guess.

Side effects... I don't mind the euphoria :wink: Have had the anxiety, the hallucinations and the sleeplessness but all are relatively transient and for me it was well worth plodding though the side effects.

Good luck flower and I really hope they help. I don't think I have bumped into you before s nice to meet you. Cris x