Birthday party ideas wanted!!

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 29. Aug 2010, 07:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi, it is S's birthday soon .... he will be 19 but has to cope with the challenges of autism ....

He has already chosen his birthday cake .. a BBC1 Spring logo cake - mmm- I'll have fun making that one!!

I need to present him with some viable party options that he will enjoy, that won't kill me in the process and that are fun!!

Food is very important to S and physical activity means he can join in on an equal par with others ...

Over the years we have had lots of different types of parties - some more successful than others, based on these I have come up with the sum total of two ideas so far ...

1. Pizza hut
2. bouncy castle & trampoline party at leisure centre with buffet we take with us - but I'll cheat and do a "mum's been to Iceland" style party.

Thanks,

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Morning speedy

What about a meal at Nandos , if there is one in your area.

Then a trip to bowling alley.

(do forgive me if they ar stupid ideas as i have no idea of autism)

Hope you find a solution and have a great time

Love PF xx :)
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    Pizza always goes down a treat, you can't really go wrong with that. Buffet also does too, lots of things to just pick at.

Is it a party where friends and their parents will be staying, or leaving the kids to it (young adults I should say!).

Just because buffet food feeds everyone doesn't it, and what's left if it's OK food like crisps etc that don't go stale quick can also be used later on for snacks etc.

Bowling is a good idea too, does he like the cinema or do you want a more interactive time? Is laser quest something he would enjoy? Not sure of his wants and needs, but you can hire them so only friends play so he wouldn't be overwhelmed with strangers etc and they often put on food etc too.

Sorry if any of those are useless though, brain is mush today..

Ange..xx

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hmmmm, a challenge. Does he have some bezzie mates that he gets on well with? Are they autistic too, in a similar way to him? What numbers are you thinking of? Bowling could be good, but possibly a little too noisy for S. Karting? Or would noise be a factor/drving a challenge? It certainly is a poser. I will give it some thought. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 26. Aug 2010, 07:11
    Options
    What about these places that organise parties where you paint a plate or whatever, it is fired and you go collect them a few days later..... not sure what S and friend's concentration is like. Pizza afterwards perhaps. :lol: Or is that a bit too girlie :oops: These places are not only geared for children, but anyone can have a painting party there.

Claypigeon shooting or is that a total no no. Pizza afterwards.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    this difficult depends on what he likes it has to be something he will enjoy and cope with autium can lead to problems mixing depending on how bad it is what about a wii party a compitition with couple of his mates and if got garden small bouncy castle for when they get there to get rid of extra energy and only for couple of hours you will have had enough by then
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

It is Daniels birthday next Sunday but we never have a party.He might have a trip out, last year he went to Quainton, Bucks to ride the Thomas the tank engine train and another year to a Car museum. The cake is very important as are his presents. We are waiting for 2 to arrive today and he is very impatient.
    The cake will have a picture of an underground sign on it! We had one made from a local shop 2 years ago but his brother leant over and stuck his elbow in it. He screamed the house down. This year I will keep elbows away!

Snakes and ladders or similar is a favourite place to let off steam. Bouncy castle is a good idea to hire if your garden can fit it in.

Nothing wrong with Iceland for catering. Why not?

Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Daniel is into T.V logo's too!!!!!!!
    But the underground sign is the fave choice.

We have had a few BBQ's at Nannies house and invited hs friends from his special school but not one came! As its open house we had loads of other peeps turn up so no problem but I did warn his Nan that the parents won't want to come, because of the issues involved -they will worry about the garden and how safe it is and their childs behaviour but they didnt believe me.They sent out the invitations behind my back.
    Are you intending to invite lots of other children. In a way it is a chance for them to have fun arranged around their needs so should be lovely.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Julie, Angie and DD,

Keep the ideas flowing .... it gives him more choices.

S is going to a bowling and Nandos party on Sunday - you are very in-keeping with the times - Julie!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Bouncy castles are fun - but not for you, speedalong. Think of the resulting mayhem! :shock: How about hiring a couple of Sumo suits and having a knock-out (not literally) competition, followed
    by Pizza Hut? Are you up to catering for a group of hungry adolescents yet? And be honest in your reply. I think a sit-down is the best option for you - more expensive perhaps, but safer and less tiring in the long run. I know it's his day, but your abilities have to be taken into account too, especially at the moment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Elna, Rehab, Val and Elizabeth ... ideas to ponder.

If we go for the bouncy castle/trampoline idea - I have had a bouncy castle in my garden before but that was before we had the trampoline ... not enough space now - so would be at the leisure centre. Trust me that would be more relaxing - I booked one once and it did not turn up and then I had to phone a friend to pore through the yellow pages and try and find one at short notice! The leisure centre provide staff to supervise the activities - I would have to prepare and lay out the buffet.

Speedy

PS Surj did do karting and got a free invite to go back for an extra one to one session that we haven't taken up due to my hip ... must chase that offer up.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Speedy

Just catching up with everyone! I would go for the bouncy castle/ trampoline at the leisure centre too. You won't worry about the weather or the state of your house then! Would your budget stretch to a disco? Me and the girls went to a party like that and the kids were exhausted when they got home :)

Nx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Nina, I don't think a disco would cost any more - but we would struggle to get enough guests for a disco ... S goes to a school a long way away and although he is a day pupil most are boarders ... and we don't have any family close by to pad out the numbers. The only way we do that is if we invited everyone from special olympics ... I think I might keep that one for another year ...

Speedy
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Speedy

Sorry do not have many ideas for you. Go with what you know he will like best of all.

What makes him happy, can you go to a place where you can eat also have fun?

Think of the weather, a bouncy castle is fun but the weather has changed it might be raining also cold for you.

Sorry for butting in though.

Love Trish xxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Dont forget the bubble machine- very popular at the parties we go to.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    Don't be sorry for butting in Trisher, the bouncy castle would be inside and the leisure centre ....

The more ideas and oppinions the better.

Speedy
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Do you have a local gymnastics club? Our local one does birthday parties and they lay on the staff and do games and lots of running about and using some of the easier pieces of equipment.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Snooker or Darts party or would the latter be too dangerous.

:) Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    Options
    Following on from Kates suggestion some gyms have sensory areas and supply bouncy castles. There is a superb one near us but I dont know your area.

Hi Kate how are you? Nice to see you. Is hubby going to I.O.W or Mersea?

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    We organised a Bush Tucker trial for the children I work with, they really enjoyed it.
    Did it at the local country park, get them to look for stars like they do on I'm e celebrity get me out of here..... place stars under seats/ on the trees/near signs etc ( before you start the game..... get them to look for the stars giving some obvious clues if needed.....finders pay a forfeit e.g. 10 star jumps... or run to the sign and back 3 times etc. then they have to eat one of those wine gum type snakes or spiders, you can buy bags of them. (if s doesnt like the jelly sweets invent a name for the sort he does like!)
    Bush Tucker picnic later of course with crocodile sandwiches, and swamp juice that you made earlier. Can be as simple or creative as you like (or s like)
    Hope it goes well enjoy whatever you decide on!
    *CB*
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Following on from Kates suggestion some gyms have sensory areas and supply bouncy castles. There is a superb one near us but I dont know your area.

Hi Kate how are you? Nice to see you. Is hubby going to I.O.W or Mersea?

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,
    No he hasn't gone to IOW I think he fancies going to Mersea. He went to Darlington and Shipston as well so needs a bit of family time (whether he wants it or not!!).

Hope all ok with you.

Love Kate xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Family time is very important but I think we needed some time apart. We are both going to Mersea but often go in different directions. He is a drinker I am a talker!

Might look out for him! I will be on crutches yet again!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi - wow thanks everyone - we could publish a leaflet with all these ideas. How fab, many thanks.

Speedy
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Sorry dont how I missed this (blame the new meds ) when I have parties for my granddaughters, I put a buffet on, they love to help themselves, I do get help of my lovely neighbour , then they all disappear to there bedroom with pass the parcel, dont care what age they are , they love this, them on goes there music, and weather permitting out into the garden.
    I always worry about it just being right for them, we haven't had a bad on yet :) touch wood :)
    Hope it goes really well
    Good Luck
    Love
    Barbara xx
    PS dont know how brave you are, but they love there chocolate fountain....
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    Options
    Ooh Barbara a chocolate fountain - do you own it or hire it? Might be an idea for a present??

Speedy
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Ooh Barbara a chocolate fountain - do you own it or hire it? Might be an idea for a present??

Speedy
    Hi Speedy we own it..its is only small and cost around £10..here's a tip use rape seed oil to add to the chocalate it is a lot lighter then other oils...you have to add oil so that it flows
    Good Luck
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara