What a day....

Options
angie1973
angie1973 Member Posts: 248
edited 26. Aug 2010, 09:19 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi all,

I'm having a day today. It's a year to the day since my father passed away from cancer. He had only just turned 60. I didn't want to face today at all, but knew I would have to, part of the process and all.

I'm at work, and keep having periods feeling tearful. He died at midday so I know I will be feeling raw.

A year to the day, the weather was exactly the same too, I remember every minute almost.

So, come on, a woman in need of cheering up, who has a good joke or silly to tell me!! I'm all ears today, stop me making a fool of myself at work.. (again).

Ange..xx

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Those first anniversaries are always tough, I remember them well when my dad died. I am so sorry, but the day will pass and you will get through it.

Jokes? I'm fresh out. Can't think of a single one . . . . oh, how about this?

A polar bear walks in to a bar. The barman askes 'What will you have, sir?' The bear says 'May I have a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . pint of beer?' 'Certainly sir, but why the big pause?' (Read in your head to get the pun) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I am sorry you are having such a horrid day. Remember him for all the good times you had so that will bring a smile to your face.

Take care
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I'm sorry Ange

Those 1st anniversaries are always the hardest, but it does get better. my Dad died aged 54 2 and a half years ago. I still think of him every day.

Ange, treat yourself to something you like today after work. Got no jokes, I'm rubbish at those I'm afraid!!

But thinking of you anyway, watch Dave channel if you have it. It's good for a laugh

Janie
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i'm not to good at jokes, but i could tell you sarah's (my 3yr old) favourite joke, sadly it doesn't make sence but she keeps telling it any way!!

here goes - knock knock...........
  • angie1973
    Options
    Priceless! Thank you, that made me smile......... than laugh.....

I've got passed the worst bit, the time he actually died, I shall be treating myself to a fair bottle of plonk later and have booked the day off to enjoy my children and my husband's company and be thankful for all the good things I have.

Stars, all of you :)
    rehab44 wrote:
    A story about Fat Kev my mate, from many years ago when we were young, single, and free.

He was a callow youth and suprisingly slim at that time - a fact to which many of his friends would attest - but also inclined to be gregarious. He rather enjoyed the occasional pint too - as long as an occasion could be defined as something that happens at least twice a day, lunch and brunch
    It would be pleasantly reassuring to suppose that this combination of ill considered, alcohol fuelled sociability is a occurrence rarer than dodo sightings, but that would be a mistake since, unfortunately, it pretty much sums up most most of my mates during 'the troubles'

Fat Kev was also blessed with two left feet, extreme myopia, a callous disdain for sartorial elegance and a distressing tendency to behave tactlessly to people whom he considered less intelligent than himself - which was pretty much everyone. (in fact Kev was a bit of a tip)
    I paint this somewhat less than flattering picture for you so that when I tell you, at the time our story unfolds, that Fat Kev had a girlfriend you’ll appreciate that this is an infrequent occurrence and one he was keen as mustard to nurture.

Now, no-one’s all bad and our hero does have a few plus points - he’s a fair cook, and has reasonable taste in wine too. This particular evening he’s had an opportunity to use both these skills in the pursuit of a greater aim (some might say the only aim of most squaddies) as he and his girlfriend had her parents’ house to themselves while Mum and Dad were away for the weekend.

Since he’s already been invited to stay over, he’s reasonably sure it’s going to be a lucky night. He’s prepared a chili con carne, fresh jalapenos and coriander mind you - none of your powdered or freeze-dried rubbish and procured a pretty decent bottle of St Emilion with which to wash it down.
    An hour or so later the pair of them are having a “nice cuddle” on the sofa when our hero decides to try a little game of “Yellow Pages”[1].
    At first, all seems to be going remarkably well - right up until the point where his little sweetheart emits a banshee shriek and runs to the bathroom as fast as its humanly possible to do with one’s best lingerie round one’s ankles. (I did say remarkably well, didn't I?)
    Initially very concerned for the young lady’s welfare and puzzled by this extreme behaviour Fat Kev is soon left in no doubt as to the cause of her ire as, to the accompanying hiss of a power-shower on full-cold, punctuated by a number of vile oaths worthy of the saltiest of sea-dogs she casts doubt upon his parentage, calls down on him a plague of misfortune and lets him know in no uncertain terms of the capsicum tainted error of his ways. She instructs him in tones that preclude any negociation to begone, permanently, from her sight by the time she leaves the bathroom if he knows what’s good for him.
    I’m sure you, ladies and gentlemen of the world, can work the details out for yourselves without me having to stoop to further explanation.
    [1] Let your fingers do the walking.

And no he didn't marry her

My thoughts are with you....
    :D

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • angie1973
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    Angie... the last total eclipse was the week my dad died ....the beatles across the universe and....o miobabbino caro need playing with wine no work tomorrow and let it out dont bottle it up with jokesxxxL/Babycham trust me ....jokes later sort the raw edge out

You can be sure there will be tears later. I just need to be at home where I feel like I can without looking a bit mad. Wine, my favourite film, and the arms of my man, and I can cry till it hurts, then go to bed, and maybe, just maybe I might get more than a few hours sleep.

At least I can wake up slow tomorrow, and not think about work.

Thanks BC xx

• angie1973
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    Avoid the chilli con carne :D

xxx

I'm thinking chocolate...... ;)