Orthokine – Therapy against Osteoarthritis

Options
sturge8
sturge8 Member Posts: 164
edited 1. Sep 2010, 10:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Has anyone tried this kind of treatment for their OA?

Orthokine Therapy

The concept of the Orthokine-Therapy is to derive the body’s own inhibiting agents and growth factors from the blood stream and to inject them into the afflicted joints afterwards.

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've looked at their website......

For something so big.........

It lacks something...........real detail....

When its says "about 100% of people" and "approximately 100% of the population suffer from osteoarthritis"...........well is it 100% or not.......

I guess if I was desperate, and conventional treatment had failed......I'd look at any/everything...

I'm plagued with RA, and it makes no reference to RA....

Sceptical...

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • sturge8
    Options
    In the defense of Orthokine Therapy and any other drug or treatment out there. What works for someone may not work for the other person. You must have found this out with your treatment of RA. There are different dmrad's for you to try, you have to find the one that works for you. Likewise for OA sufferers - we are entitled to trying all sorts of treatments. I have tried surgery, supplements and injection therapy. None have worked yet. But I will continue to try whatever is suggested to me as long as there are no irreversible consequential damage. I have read the brochure about Orthokine Therapy, it could provide 2 years pain relief, which is definitely worth a go. What is the harn it can do?
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    I dont for one minute, question your entitlement to try it.....

As you say, you've tried other options/meds. to no effect..

Is it available on NHS?....I'm assuming your in the UK.....

I'm still going through the roundabouts thats DMARD's, or combinations of the dreaded things......and NSAID's...So far with limited success...

I hope Orthokine provides you with the relief from your OA....

Please let us know how you get on........

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Sturge8

I'd never heard of this but have just Googled it so know a bit more about it now....

If you can afford it, it's worth a try..

(the problem is there are a lot of 'charlatans' out there, trying (and succeeding sometimes) to 'rip off' people who have arthritis .. they take advantage, knowing how desperate we are to find something that will work ..)

Let us know how you get on...

Marion
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I've got OA, but I would be very unwilling to try something like that, however you have a right to try it and maybe you will find it helpful.

My problem is that I like my medication to be tried and tested before I take it. That is my choice and I would advice caution to anyone taking medication that isn't prescribed by a doctor. I think you have a right to make an informed decision to try it and I hope that it works for you. Good luck. Sue
  • sturge8
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, I've got OA, but I would be very unwilling to try something like that, however you have a right to try it and maybe you will find it helpful.

My problem is that I like my medication to be tried and tested before I take it. That is my choice and I would advice caution to anyone taking medication that isn't prescribed by a doctor. I think you have a right to make an informed decision to try it and I hope that it works for you. Good luck. Sue

In the defence of Orthokine therapy, it has been tested on 15,000 people and no side effects have ever been reported. It has been around for 8 years in Europe and with good results. So with this evidence I would be confident to try it. I don't believe the scientists would waste 20 years of their life perfecting something that doesn't work. It is a similar treatment to PRP, which is becoming another treatment option for the repair of joint injuries. Football clubs in the UK are buying the PRP kit in order to treat players who have sustained joint injuries. NHS have injected my joints and surgically washed them out and with no success. These methods have apparently been proven to be successful. But didn't work for me. So now this puts me in a frame of mind where I need to test treatments for myself, whether the NHS say it works or not. Obviously I do not intend to put myself in danger, but I certainly am not going to do nothing to help myself.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've read the research paper published in Arthritis Research and Therapy - Cytokine Profile of Autlogous Conditioned Serum for the Treatment of OA. Heavy going it was too, but basically it doesn't get a ringing endorsement. They concluded that it gave small to moderate relief, but it had minimal influence within the joint space due to fast disappearance of the cytokine from the synovial fluid. They now need to develop further intra-articular therapies that focus on prolonging its presence in the joint. Keep an eye open for that - you could be a participant in trials, perhaps, but I guess they won't be happening soon. It is what it is, and will do what it will do. Arthritis outwits man, again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi sturge :D

I hadn't heard of this therapy although always interested in any new research and treatments. :wink:

Has your doc or consultant suggested you try this?

Iris x
  • sturge8
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've read the research paper published in Arthritis Research and Therapy - Cytokine Profile of Autlogous Conditioned Serum for the Treatment of OA. Heavy going it was too, but basically it doesn't get a ringing endorsement. They concluded that it gave small to moderate relief, but it had minimal influence within the joint space due to fast disappearance of the cytokine from the synovial fluid. They now need to develop further intra-articular therapies that focus on prolonging its presence in the joint. Keep an eye open for that - you could be a participant in trials, perhaps, but I guess they won't be happening soon. It is what it is, and will do what it will do. Arthritis outwits man, again. DD

DD - once again you tell it how it is and eliminate any hope I have with treatment which I thought could help me. What is this research paper? Can you link me to a copy?
  • sturge8
    edited 31. Aug 2010, 02:18
    Options
    dorcas wrote:
    Hi sturge :D

I hadn't heard of this therapy although always interested in any new research and treatments. :wink:

Has your doc or consultant suggested you try this?

Iris x

My doctor hasn't suggested I try it. I am in communication with a clinic in London who offer this treatment. I will be interested to hear their opinions when I ask about the Arthritis Research & Therapy paper.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi sturge,

all sounds very interesting and if your doc has suggested it he must feel there's merit in considering it as a viable treatment option for you.

Keep us posted sturge :wink:

Iris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I showed this thread to my husband, a research biochemist. He looked at the web site and said 'don't waste you're money'. Basically its a sales pitch to get people to spend money in the hope that the 'drug' will somehow work, it won't. I'm afraid its another case of getting the sick to part with their money in hope of a miricle cure. If it worked it wouldn't need to be marketed to people like us. So I'd ask the person who started this thread, who do you work for? Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    sturge8 wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've read the research
    DD - once again you tell it how it is and eliminate any hope I have with treatment which I thought could help me. What is this research paper? Can you link me to a copy?

She does doesn't she Sturge :(

She is currently offline due to technical issues but am sure she will get back to you when she can :(

I was hoping it wold be good news too.

Love

Toni xx
  • sturge8
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    sturge8 wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I've read the research

She does doesn't she Sturge :(

She is currently offline due to technical issues but am sure she will get back to you when she can :(

I was hoping it wold be good news too.

Love

Toni xx

I was given some more research clinical trial data from a clinic in Germany regarding Orthokine Therapy and the results do show benefits to the patient in forms of decreased pain etc. However the cost of treatment compared to marginal pain relief doesn't seem to be worth it. Maybe I may go for a consultation next year out of curiosity.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    No harm at all in finding out is there?

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I just googled orthokine and read what came up. You can do the same, I'm sure, or just stick in the title of the paper. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sturge8
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I just googled orthokine and read what came up. You can do the same, I'm sure, or just stick in the title of the paper. DD

I've read about the trial which you are talking about, the clinic have even sent me another 4 trial results. They all pretty much say the same thing – marginal reduction in pain. I may as well go and have a chat, see what they say. Be interesting when I talk about the evidence not being overwhelmingly brilliant. They are adamant they can help – 80% chance of success. They said it works for 2 years and well on ankles like mine. Interesting. They'll have to do some pretty good convincing still before they'll get their hands on me dough. Something for me to think about in the new year perhaps.