frustrated

Options
nanasue
nanasue Member Posts: 465
edited 26. Aug 2010, 13:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
So much for having my blood test results... As I expected the rheumy nurse didn't phone me back. I went to the hospital today when there was a clinic on and asked to see her, after a long wait she did see me but said, you can't just turn up here like this. I told her I had phoned and she said she would have got back to me EVENTUALLY, I told her I didn't think that was good enough and she started moaning about the fact she is only part time and has to do the work of 3 nurses, as if that excuses it. I also told her what had happened with the consultant so she told me to up my MTX to 20mg, go to my doctors to get a steroid injection and she will phone me next week or the week after. I phoned the surgery but they need a fax from her, so I left her a messsage again, but I don't suppose that will get done either. I also phoned PALS, got a recorded message saying leave a message and they'll get back to me in the next 2 working days. At the moment I'm sitting on the sofa with a heat pad on my back cos it hurts so much. I'm so angry I've got steam coming out my ears like a cartoon character but I also feel very upset and let down. I don't know where to go from here.

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    oh nanasue

I can imagine how you feel and the anger you are feelin will make you feel worse. Why can't people keep their promises and ring you back , they must know you are waiting and perhaps worrying, Its not your fault they are short staffed and it is no excuse.

I am not very good at advice but i just want you to know i care.

Hope you feel better soon.

PF x
  • jordansmum
    jordansmum Member Posts: 257
    Options
    hi i think if it was me i would go and see my gp and tell him that you feel like you are being neglected tell him everything from the way they treat you to the way you are feeling.I can understand your frustration and i am sure pals will be in touch .You are quite within your rights to see someone else as i have done so myself in the past but see what your gp can do first after all that is what they are paid for .Take care xx jenny
  • rachelj
    rachelj Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Hi Nanasue,

It sounds like your local Rheumatology dept is just overwhelmed with work. I would be inclined to write to the hospital saying staff are great when they have time to do stuff, and that maybe those staff who only work part time hand over the care of their patients to the others when they are not in, as you have a full time condition. Can you imagine being an in patient and only gets attention when your allocated nurse was on shift?!? Why is it acceptable to treat out patients any differently.

At the moment the person you should write to has completely gone out of my head.. if its was your GP it would be the practice manager but in a hospital its a ...... eek sorry!

Rach
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Giving you a round of applause for turning up there - just what I have done in the past.

Just because she is doing the work of 3 nurses does not mean that YOU have to ensure the pain of 3 peeps.

Remember to back everything in writing so they cannae ignore it eg a letter to the Rheumy Dept confirming that your GP requires a fax prior to altering treatment etc.

Good luck and hope you get a bit of pain relief soon.
    Carol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The rhuematology department at my local hospital is the fastest-growing unit they have. The staff are under huge pressure and I always have to make the effort to remember that I am one of a fair few hundred that they are dealing with. We see things from an individual point of view, obviously, but we are not necessarily individuals to them. I am also appalled by the rudeness of so many patients to the staff. They are not there as targets for our frustrations: they are trying to help with increasingly reduced resources. My hospital has now decided to save money by doing away with urine sample plastic pots. Everyone is now turning up with glass jars - and the staff are fed up as many jars are not washed out properly so the urine is contaminated by jam, or Branston pickle! They then have the problem of disposing of said jars, as the patients do not want to take them home. A pointless cutback, it's the usual, the money men who don't do the job make the decisions. Daft. DD (who has a store of pots and will hang on to them!)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi Nanasue

I am sorry to hear you are having to fight. But well done you for going to the hospital to request an appt, that takes courage. Wait for Pals to get back to you. They should be able to help you.

It may be a good idea to write out a letter detailing all the problems you are having at the moment with your illness and doctors, then send a copy to your consultant, Rheumy nurse, GP and Pals so that they have it in writing. At the end of the letter write down what you expect each one to do and a way forward. I think better communication between them all is a must.

I know this is a pain when you feel poorly but they will not want the number of complaints to go up so they will get back to you and get it sorted asap. It should not be that way, but I am afraid it is.

Take care - sending you hugs and extra strength for this.

Fayann xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Well 10 out of 10 for turning up at the hospital...wish I was has brave.
    Please don't think you are on your own, it seems to be the norm having to fight for the right treatment.
    Sorry I cant add anything else, but please don't give up, I really hope you the right treatment very soon.
    Sending loads of hugs (((((()))))
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara