Does anyone notice that they are in more pain at night?

Options
nordman
nordman Member Posts: 6
edited 30. Aug 2010, 04:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone, its bobby, fibromyalgia sufferer. in the evening i start to feel more severe pain compare with pain during the day and i am very fatigued because i don`t sleep at night. By the time 8pm rolls around i have difficulty to move around and i have to takeextra pain medication. Sometimes the medication brings me a little relief and sometimes i gets no relief and continue cry out in pain.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I used to suffer with a lot of pain at night, Bobby, so could not sleep or the pain would wake me up. There is medication that can be prescibed by the gp to make you sleep better at night, why not have a chat with your him/her. I find having a shower or bath can loosen up the joints and muscles, also a few gentle stretching exercises in bed, before attempting to get out. Taking some meds before you get out of bed can help too, if you have them to hand with a glass of water.

Many of us suffer or have suffered with this problem, you are not alone with this.

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Bobby

Yes I used to get that quite badly until I got my meds sorted out properly. I now take amytriptilines at night and these help to relax my muscles and I get a fairly good night's sleep. I take these about two hours before bed and a tramadol when I go to bed.

One of the things I found helpful was sorting out my bed. A memory foam mattress topper helps to cushion your joints. I also found a feather and down quilt in the winter is much better too.

I'm generally stiff as a board in the morning but after breakfast and my meds my movement is better.

Sharmaine

nordman wrote:
    Hello everyone, its bobby, fibromyalgia sufferer. in the evening i start to feel more severe pain compare with pain during the day and i am very fatigued because i don`t sleep at night. By the time 8pm rolls around i have difficulty to move around and i have to takeextra pain medication. Sometimes the medication brings me a little relief and sometimes i gets no relief and continue cry out in pain.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi again, Bobby,

I too have a memory foam mattress and an electric blanket. I use a heated wheatbag too to wrap around painful joints. Would not be without any of those three items. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nikscat33
    nikscat33 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    My Partner also suffers a lot at night, she is now taking amitriptyline and diazapam ( which is not recommended for long term use as you get withdrawl syptoms) both muscle relaxants at night and Ibuprofen and dihydrocodiene for pain relief.

Hope you find something that suits you to help you get a good nights rest.

Cat x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Bobby and welcome,

yes I find pain is worse at night. I think it is a combination of being tireder, being busy and more distracted during the day and being in one position and/or hurting as you move in your sleep. I too can recommend a memory foam mattress topper - sleeping on top of a thick duvet is also a good susbtitute and also see if your docs can sort out some better meds for you. Take you pain meds about an hour before bed so they have kicked in before you go to bed. Sleep deprivation is awful isn't it.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I agree too that it is the lack of distraction plus general tiredness which makes the pain more noticeable at night.

Deliberate distraction doesn't always work, but is better than lying in bed wide awake in pain. I usually get up and do something, even if it is just read a few pages of my book or do a crossword.

I do crochet work and other needlework too, so have plenty to fall back on; very often it is the men who find this harder as they are able to conjure up fewer distractions.

Annie
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Yes....like most of the others....pain is worse at night and it is when you have less to distract you. After my hiop replacement I couldnt stay asleep....I would waken up about 4 times every night {it was always with pain} I wne t back and back and back to my GP until I got something that seems to be working reasonably well.
    Amitryptiline {sp} I cant take because I am on anti convulsants {epilepsy which is well controlled} but it clashes withn them.
    Dihydrocodeine.....after the 3rd night I was like a zombie LOL..others didnt work at all....eventually diclofenic modified release...{not the ones you take 2 3 times a day or whatever. this lasts for 12 hrs and you only take one a day. We are all different so what works for some wont work for others.
    I find a nice thick duvet underneath is good....or a long time ago the OT gave me a mattress {not memory foam} I wish LOL!!!!! but I dragged that out and tried it again and it helps

Love
    Hileena
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Like others have already said, I feel it more a night too due to either being tired or finally stopping after being on the go all day. I find once Ive sat down for the evening, I tend to stiffen up quite a lot.

I just take extra pain relief before I go to bed. Im sorry I can't be more help. As for the tiredness, by 8-9pm Im ready for bed and can barely keep my eyes open. On other occasions, like tonight, Im feeling rather sore and uncomfortable and cannot get to sleep and will end up being up quite late.

Hope you find something that works for you, as others have said, I would talk to your GP and see if he/she can help you.

Caroline x
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    I find that in bed at night I seem to get more pain My problem is with my hip but it's my knee that hurts at night a horrible stabbing pain.I seems to go after a few hours sleep
  • nikscat33
    nikscat33 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I think as said there seems to be diff things that suit diff peeps and see what doc suggests but one thing i have learnt with my partner is that most of the stronger pain meds and muscle relaxants can leave you feeling dopey with like a hangover effect or just very sleepy during the day... this does tend to lesson after a little while a week or 2 generally when the meds have got in to your system and your body gets a bit more used to it.... I hope that helps a little.

Cat x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    As an addition to Cats post......this slow release tablet thatg I have to take at night.....through trial and error I've discovered that if I take it about3 hours before settling down I'm usually OK the next day.....leave it until the last minute and I'm groggy LOL

Hileena
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Bobby

Yep, by about 6pm I am hobbling around like a 100yr old and stretching out in bed feels like heaven although getting sleep is another matter.
    I am much better in the mornings therefore I try to do all my tasks in the morning before I seize up.
    Carol
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi Bobby

Welcome to the froums from me too :D

I reckon nightimes are bad as we are able to think about the pain more :( You know - less distraction and i think pain is more scary at night :(

I am with Sue and some others in saying that I swear by the amitriptyline and wouldnt be without it. I need my sleep to get through the next day.

Love

Toni xx