A New Start........

Options
handsy
handsy Member Posts: 209
edited 30. Aug 2010, 04:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi to all the gang, For a while now I have been down in the dumps. Well as from today it needs to change, for the better I think. I have spent so much time letting this illness take over my whole life and find that I have been giving up too easily. Well thats stops today! I am going to try to change my outlook on life and we all know that its very hard at time to see the wood for the trees. So with a little help from loved ones I am going to start to think positive and regularly kick myself up the backside and try. We have all said many times no doubt that The dreaded RA is getting the better of us. After another night without any sleep things have to change. Ok I have a lot of problems with RA/Heart ETC, but being possitive in the mind is the first hurrdle to conquer and conquer it I must. Keep an eye out for some POSITIVE post comming in the future. :o

Comments

• Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hansy

Sorry to hear about the really difficult time you have had recently. It is ok to be in that place for a while, but in the long term that can really wear yourself down as well as the illness.

I would make some really small, realistic achievable goals that you can focus on over the next few weeks to help you gain some confidence back. It can be as simple as you like. It could perhaps be a mini project at home, or a task that you can do on the internet. Or write something or perhaps being able to go somewhere or walk a short distance etc. Then think about how you are going to achieve it and work towards it.

Make sure also that the docs are doing all they can to support you at this time with pain relief and sleeping etc.

Go for it!!

Fayann xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    John you are absolutely right. R.A does take over your life for a while then you realise that life goes on and you just have to adapt.I wasted so many years feeling too ill to go to parties or going out and about but have now started to make an effort. I can still sit down with my friends and talk and listen to music so that is the route I now take.
    Hope you are starting to feel an improvement....

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi handsy :D

Great to hear how resolved you are in taking control of your life back from your illnesses. :wink:

I may have missed it.... but how did you get on with the angioplasty I'm probably using the wrong word, sorry :oops: but you know what I mean... your recent tests in hospital?

Fayann has given you some great advice, practical, achievable goals ... sound :!: think I should be following that too. :mrgreen:

will be watching for your updates John :wink:

Iris x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi John

Another very uplifting post to read. :) I have just read and replied to (Tillypink() Lisa's thread that was similar to yours. She had been feeling very sorry for herself for a while. Quite rightly so, but she has decided like you to start on the being positive route. Let's hope this frame of mind is catching around the forum. :)

I do wish you well with that, John. From what I have learned on here, RA is a horrid disease and you all have to put up with so much. You have added complications to contend with as well. Long may this positive attitude rule, but please do not torment yourself if you cannot carry this out all of the time.

Looking forward to your positive postings but if you do flag, let us know and we shall do our best to support/help you and get you on the right road again. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tillypink
    tillypink Member Posts: 212
    Options
    handsy wrote:
    Hi to all the gang, For a while now I have been down in the dumps. Well as from today it needs to change, for the better I think. I have spent so much time letting this illness take over my whole life and find that I have been giving up too easily. Well thats stops today! I am going to try to change my outlook on life and we all know that its very hard at time to see the wood for the trees. So with a little help from loved ones I am going to start to think positive and regularly kick myself up the backside and try. We have all said many times no doubt that The dreaded RA is getting the better of us. After another night without any sleep things have to change. Ok I have a lot of problems with RA/Heart ETC, but being possitive in the mind is the first hurrdle to conquer and conquer it I must. Keep an eye out for some POSITIVE post comming in the future. :o

Hi Handsy

I just read ur post and want to say hey and chin up not easy I know, but like u I'm trying to stay positive and not let it get to me! but like we all say easier said than done!

there's some great support on here,being a newbie I'm so amazed

:o !

xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Handsy......Great to hear you in such a positive frame of mind.
    Can we have permisssion to give you a cyber kick up the bum if needed LOL LOL

Hileena
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Handsy,

wow well done you for determinedly taking your life back from arther!!

Don't be disheartened though if you do have occasional off days - even non-arther sufferers have them ....

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Handsy

I quite agree with all that you have said in your post.. It's hard to remain positive sometimes, but I think it definitely helps us cope with arthritis if we can keep busy (mentally and/or physically) and remember the good things in life..

I like Fayann's idea about making a list of achieveablel goals - think I might try that too..

best wishes

Marion
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    we do all try to stay positive as it does help good luck hope you manage it and life becomes much more positive val
    val
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Well done handsy.

I too like your determination.

I am right behind you.

pf x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi John,
    You have been through a great deal recently and hopefully your consultant has reassured you about the heart condition.
    It’s good that the family are supporting you and sometimes it gives them a big boost to know that you are having a positive day. So well done you.
    Hope you are getting out and about now, although this wet weather is not ideal. Good job our skin is waterproof! :roll:

Lv, Ix
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Thats the spirit Handsy :lol:

Remember though that it is not good to bottle up the frustrations, anger and sadness/grief that Arthur brings so every so often it is a good thing to sit down and cry and ask why me then dust ourselves off and get back into that positive mindset again.

Great to hear your positivity.
    Carol
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Hi John

Good for you!

Nice attitude

I hope it pays off 9sure it will0 and I will be here wtching for the 'new and improved' John :D

Love

Toni xx