Bouncing off the walls with Steroids

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 1. Sep 2010, 07:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have been put on steroids as I'm reacting badly to meds the hospital have tried to help me with.

The only safe way for me at the moment is the Prednisolone.

While I was at the hospital they gave me another Depo Medrone as well to help with the swelling and to help the inflammation.

I have been going 48 hours without sleep. Then I did manage 4 hours. The next two hours and I laid in bed waiting for it to get light. Well I fell alseep after my pain meds for two hours.

I have spoken to my gp and she has given me the smaller doses to go up or down. I have to try and stay up on the higher dose as much as I can.

I just wondered how many of you have gone through the same thing? If you did what did you do to try and distract yourself for not being able to sleep???

Trish xxx

Comments

• cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    trisher wrote:
    Hi

I have been put on steroids as I'm reacting badly to meds the hospital have tried to help me with.

The only safe way for me at the moment is the Prednisolone.

While I was at the hospital they gave me another Depo Medrone as well to help with the swelling and to help the inflammation.

I have been going 48 hours without sleep. Then I did manage 4 hours. The next two hours and I laid in bed waiting for it to get light. Well I fell alseep after my pain meds for two hours.

I have spoken to my gp and she has given me the smaller doses to go up or down. I have to try and stay up on the higher dose as much as I can.

I just wondered how many of you have gone through the same thing? If you did what did you do to try and distract yourself for not being able to sleep???

Trish xxx

Hi Trisha .....my friend had the same problem with Pred. Lots of help about dealing with it over on the Crohns disease forum. *CB*
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Ask your doctor for sleeping pills! It's what I do. If you don't want to take any more drugs you could try Neal Yards night time roll on remedy. It's what I use when not taking the former. Works well for me.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Trish
    I so wish I could help,can your gp not give you anything stronger to make you sleep. sorry I am racking my brain here.
    I really hope they can bring the steroids down very soon, and you can manage some sleep.
    Sending loads of hugs ((((((((()))))))
    love
    Barbara xxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Share my T shirt, petal. The only thing I've ever found that works to a certain extent is daft computer games.

I can't read, 'cos I can't concentrate, can't settle enough to do needlework or knitting, but I got through the whole of one night playing Bejewelled!

It does settle after a while, but how long that takes depends so much on the individual.....it takes me about 2 weeks as a rule. I don't count the last time as the whole thing just went pear-shaped then.

On the other hand, I'm glad I'm not one of those that Pred throws into a deep dark depression! I think that would be worse.

Annie
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi trisher

so sorry that you are having bad reactions with your medication and the only option at the moment are steroids.

As for sleeping are you allowed to take the tablets advertised on tv is it nightall.
    I normally listen to a boring radio station and after a while eventually drop off.

sotty i cant be more helpful

Thinking of you
    juliepf xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Trisher

sorry you're having such a hard time and that the preds has chased away much needed sleep. :( :roll:

I don't have experience of taking oral steroids sorry but do know what it's like to be unable to sleep. I've not found anything that really helps... but usually get up, make tea take meds and watch some pre-recorded programmes on tv. ... then after an hour or two... try to go back to bed to sleep.

wears you down Trish. :roll:

definitely go back to see the doc if it doesn't improve.

hope that things start to get better for you soon,

(((hugs)))

Iris x
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Popping in to let you know I`m thinking of you Trish. Been out for lunch with family, now off to the Mathew St Festival. Takes me back to my Cavern days, silly old ****!

Try to make up your sleep during the day Trish, until the effects of the steroids settle down. The more you try to force sleep at night, the more impossible it seems to become.

Cham, ask your GP if you can have Zopiclone. I find them really good, with no after effects.........Ange.......x.
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Trish hun wish there was something I could do for you, so I am sending you a ((((hug)))).

Love Jules xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Trish

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I don't know what dose of Pred you are currently taking but I too experienced the "bouncing off the walls" effect of Depo Medrone and Pred so I do sympathise. I think you are probably taking a much higher dose that I did though and I did manage at least some sleep. Like Annie says, it's made even harder when you can't concentrate enough to take your mind off things - the only thing that has helped to pass the time for me in the middle of the night is watching dvds - or things I have taped during the day. Takes very little concentration and, if you have something to watch which you enjoy, you might even find you lose yourself for a litte while.

Wish I could think of something more practical to suggest Trish but I am thinking of you and really hoping that things improve for you soon.

Love and ((())))s Tilly xxx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi trish, Im sorry i cant help but just wanted to say im thinking of you,sending ((((HUGS)))) & hope things settle down for you soon.
    luv debs

Oh Babycham,Alot of us on here take Amptripyline to help with sleeping. Makes you a bit groggy in the morning but it wears off pretty quickily.
    Hope that helps.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Trisher, your poor thing, broken sleep is bad enough, no sleep is deadly. I've never taken pred (I have OA) would taking it at a different time help? If not then you could try Salamander's suggestion or Julie's suggestion - Nytol - they do a herbal version, which works if you only use it occasionally .... or it's a case of back to the docs.

Hi Babycham you too could try Salamander's suggestion or Julie's suggestion - herbal Nytol and if these don't work see what the doc says as no sleep compounds problems and makes it harder to cope with what life throws at us.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Trisher,
    Sorry I cannot help but I just wanted to say I am thinking of you and I hope you get some relief soon.

Loads of hugs anyway.

Lv, Ix

Hi Babycham,
    Lets hope tonight is a better night for you. Good luck with your appt on Tuesday flower.
    Fingers crossed your new meds kick in soon.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi trisher how it going not read much yet but fingers are crossed things settleing down for you hugs val
    val
  • pixie01
    pixie01 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi Trisher, afraid I can't help, but want to wish you well and hugs. Hope you had a better night last night.
    Jo xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Trish

So sorry I haven't been about lately. Just catching up on the news now to see you have been struggling with the steroids. Do hope they are settling down now for you and that you are getting some sleep lovey. I have been thinking of you.
    Sending hugs and humbugs as always. (((( ))))
    love
    Chris xxx
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Sorry I have not replied to you all my fingers are so swollen I'm using a penil and it is hard typing a lot.

Still not sleeping much. Last night I was chatting to Julie as we both could not sleep it must have been 3 am. Finally dropped off about 8am.

I'm trying everything films games reading but it is so hard to concentrate. I hope it does settle as I cannot go on doing marathon sleeplessness.

My doctor called and she has given me a small does of them so I can go up and down a biit. The trouble is they want me up high to try and help me more try to stop arthur as she was shocked at how I have gone downhill with my hands sinse she last saw me.

I do take 7.5mgs of Zopiclone which is a sleeping tablet but it even that has not helped to get me off to sleep.

Thanks to all of you though and your replies, it is nice to know there are people there for you even if they cannot help they do.

Love Trish xxx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Trisher

so sorry they are affecting you in this way. Can't say I'm surprised though, and I don't have any answers .... I didn't find any for the week I was taking them. I was lucky it was a finite dose and I could count the hours until I was able to stop taking them.

sending you sleepy wonky hugs in the hope that they will help a bit.

(((((zzzzz)))) (((((zzzzz)))) ((((((zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)))))

Wonky xxx
  • tiatodd1
    tiatodd1 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Trish. All i can say is be veryt careful about the quantity of steroids you take. I have twice had an episode of "Steroidal psychosis". The initial symptoms are certainly similar to yours and can result in episodes of pschosis which led to me being hospitalised twice(Sectioned). Although the steroids I received were injections my understanding is that steroidal psychosis is quite common. My personal point of view is that they should be banned completely.All the best Aidan
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all the replies.

Yes still up again. Anyone else want their ceiling painted while I'm up here :shock:

I did Val's on Monday, she rather likes it. Well I have gone up and down with the steroids.

My hands are still very painful why do I have to be like that??? They help others.

My fingers have definately divorsed one another now one is this way and another the other way.

It is the sleeplessness. I took a sleeping tablet last night but still was up. I did finally fall alsleep and 6ish am. Then woke up again at 9am and have been awake all this time. Yhe right time now is 2.40am

Please if your are passing my place call in and hit me with the hammer.

Wrists have gone down a little bit so we may be improving slowly

Love Trish xxxx
  • trisher
    Options
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi Trish

So sorry I haven't been about lately. Just catching up on the news now to see you have been struggling with the steroids. Do hope they are settling down now for you and that you are getting some sleep lovey. I have been thinking of you.
    Sending hugs and humbugs as always. (((( ))))
    love
    Chris xxx

Dear Chris

Chris it iis fine, don't worry about it. No they have not Chris, would you like your ceiling painted while I'm up here :shock:

Thanks for the humbugs you know I like them.
    Love Trish xxxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi pal sorry you still up there time you was back down on the bed mind you saves washing the sheets if you up there all night long hugs val
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's finding the balance, isn't it? What dose of oral steroids are you on at the mo trisher? Given the fact that you had a depo is shouldn't really be too high, I'd have thought. I have never had the bouncing off the wall feeling, but then I've never gone higher than 20mg daily, and even then only for a few days. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben