Stuck toes

Options
rachelj
rachelj Member Posts: 121
edited 6. Sep 2010, 18:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning all, last night the toes on my right foot were stiff and felt a bit painful. I shoved my foot on a hot water bottle took some pain killers and went off to bed.

This morning I have woken up, pain has gone, but I can't move my toes, they don't hurt, they don't hurt when I manipulate them, and are still sensitive to touch.. They aren't cold, going a fun colour or anything, and are just as swollen as my other foot.

On the basis I can still feel them and they aren't going blue I assume its not a nerve or circulation thing, just really weird that en I try to bend them they do nothing, there is still something there as can walk on it. I called NHS direct and they said, go to A&E, but as I am in no pain and no obvious danger it seems a bit over kill.

Anyone else have anything similar and tips on how to get them moving again?

Rach

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rach

I have toes that won't flex and finger tips that don't move any more because of arther, but haven't had anything like you describe happen as suddenly as you describe.... more of a gradual seizing up over time.

May be you should consider being seen at A&E??? your docs won't be back tomorrow will they because of it being a bank holiday so that's a long time to wait before being seen. :roll:
    NHS 24 wouldn't have suggested it if they thought it could or should wait. :|

let us know how you are Rach...

Iris x
  • rachelj
    Options
    Thanks Iris,

I have been thinking about what I was doing yesterday, and I was squatted down scubbing a tent most the day, and been doing the same today, so think that's what's set it off. Hopefully tomorrow they will get some more normal use and will ease up on their own. Just so odd because they don't hurt in the slightest, maybe I should try walking around on my knuckles, see if that stops them hurting :lol:

Rach
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    You were W-h-a-t :shock: 'squatting down scrubbing a tent'... no wonder your poor wee toes have gone on strike. :roll: :wink:

Ease up flower; your toes are being wiser that your head and telling you to s-t-o-p. Too much bending, too much stress on already inflamed joints.... just can't be good. :?

let us know how you are Rach and please pass the brush to someone else to do the scrubbing. :wink:

Instead, have a nice warm soothing bath.... or even a warm foot soak to ease those sore tootsies.

Iris x
  • rachelj
    Options
    on't worry I didn't plan to scrub a tent, but circumstances changed, I was aiming for 3 days of rest as I know the next 4 weeks at work are going to be hell as we have a deadline rapidly approaching. We lent our nice new 4 man tent which we have used once to the OH's sister so she could have a cheap get away for a weekend with the kids. It was returned on Friday night only to discover it hadn't been dried properly and was covered in mould and mildew. So OH and I have been scrubbing away with the bleach and I think we have rescued it. Just got to reproof it tomorrow which I don't think I will be doing as its in a trigger squirty bottle thing.

Oh for a day of nothing :D

Rach
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Rachel

Just catching up with your posts ..

It could be you've been overdoing it ..

Let us know how things are for you tomorrow ..

Marion
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Oh Rachel, the toes thing sound wierd, I think you are right though and it is because of the crouching ... If they get any worse though or don't improve - get them checked. What a nuisance about the tent - I think OH should get his sister to help with the cleaning and reproofing ... Good job you checked it.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • rachelj
    Options
    Well, best made plans, I have had another day of tent cleaning, wishing we never bought such a big one now :lol and my toes are still the same. Still no pain either, so will just carry on regardless. The only odd thing I have noticed is when walking up the stairs I get a shooting pain from my toes up to my knee, so maybe it is just a squished nerve. I have started shoving voltarol gel on them, see if I can bring the swelling down. I tried the cold thing instead of my nice warm wheat bag but that was agony.

See what tomorrow brings, maybe a trip to the quack.

Rach
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Rach,
    Well it sounds like you have injured yourself. Sometimes you do things that does not register at the time.
    Have you tried salt water? Old fashioned but quite often works.

Lv, Ix
  • rachelj
    Options
    Oooh, do I just soak it in warm water with some table salt, or should it be something like epsom salts?

Rach
  • ironic
    Options
    Sorry Rach, missed you last night and I have been at work today.

Yes just salt water it seems to draw out any brusing and kills infections.

Also a very good mouth wash when you are unable to use a tooth brush. I was told by a dentist that is the best thing you can use.

So there you are I've just topped and tailed you :D:D
    Are you feeling any better today?

Lv, Ix
  • rachelj
    Options
    Well I tried the salt water and nothing, however, I found out today that stubbing my toe did the trick perfectly! I now have a fully functioning foot :-)

Rach
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Have you cured it Rach??

Really with a scrub?

Glad it's ok now

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Ouch!! Glad it is working again ... though must be painful ... do you think it had been dislocated and you just shoved it back in???

Is THAT tent finished now?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • rachelj
    Options
    I only stubbed my little toe, and maybe the one next to it on the clothes horse of all things, I do seem doomed when it comes to cleaning things :-) So why they all work now I have no idea, and yes Speedy it did hurt and expletives were used in abundance hehehe

Tent is done for now, all packed away ready to get out in a few weeks to see if any more mildew has appeared.

Its a glamourous life I lead, scubbing off mould and stubbing my toes :D

Rach
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are the epitome of glamour! I loved the evil laugh on your other thread - excellent! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ironic
    Options
    rachelj wrote:
    Well I tried the salt water and nothing, however, I found out today that stubbing my toe did the trick perfectly! I now have a fully functioning foot :-)

Rach

Forgot to add if salt water does not help try stubbing your toe!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Now please step away from the ironing board/tent pegs...

s015.gif

Lv, Ix