dislocated hip

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 1. Sep 2010, 06:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi
i am posting this from my hospital bed :cry: I dislocated my THR yesterday whilst putting ironing away! I have never known pain like it. I was so scared, but after going to theatre it is back in place. I had no sleep mainly as ward noisy. I'm waiting to see docs, physio, and OT. Iwill keep you posted.
NB

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    oh dear

sorry to hear about your hip and that you are in a hospital bed.
    I hope it is better today after having it put right and you now have very little pain.

Dam ironin should be banned. I have to sit and iron from my wheelchair and about 3 weeks ago I fell out of it. (sounds funny I know I laughed after the initial shock). I had to ring my parents up to lift me back into the chair. OH was at work.
    I am unable to wear prosthetic leg that was another reason for falling.

Hope you are home soon
    Thinking of you
    love juliepf xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    OH NO!!!!!

NB

I am so so sorry!

I do hope you will rest up now and they will have made it as secure as possible this time.

Please take very good care and keep chatting to us if you can - we will try to keep your spitits up.

Love

Toni xx 027.gif
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    NB,

OMG (not an expression I have EVER used before, but this warrants its use) how frightening and terrible.

Are you in less pain now it is back in?

Did they manage to put it back without opening you up?

It must be a combination of movements that worked together to pop it out .... this is something we hip people start thinking will never happen to us ...

Take care and keep us posted,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi NB
    OMG I cant believe it, after all this time that you can still dislocate it, at 3 months the physio told me that it wouldnt come out now and that reasurred me no end, but for yours to dislocate just by doing a simple job like that, I was told by the consultant before the op that is was extremley painful when it dislocates, and isnt it a worry when you have first had it done that you dont do anything that could cause it to come out.
    But after so long its the last thing that you would expect.
    I hope you feel better and are home again soon.
    take care.
    Denise.x
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    I have seen the consultant and physio, but as this isn't the hospital i had my THR at, I didn't get many answers. Just one of those things. But the physio said Wrightington will need to assess things to find out why after 18 mths. I am in less pain now thanks, and am up on crutches. OT are delivering stuff later and I will see about home.
    NB
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi NB

Good to see you up on crutches already.

Hope they let you home soon....today?

Love

Toni xx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi NB, have only just read about your bad luck as I am in hospital too having broken bones in a fall, sorry to read about your bad luck, hope your recovery continues and that you are soon home and well love jaspercatxx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Oh, I'm really sorry for you, it does sound painful. Lets hope it soon settles down and you can carry on recovering. Lots of love Sue
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hi Nearly B.
    i hope you are feeling a bit better now.
    take care and dont try any more trick's with the
    ironing board,
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    OMG NB
    How scary that must have been, I will be having mine done in Wrightington surely this shouldn't happen after 18months...I did read that right I hope.
    Thank goodness you are not in pain now, do you have to start again has if you had just had the THR.
    Sending you lots of hugs ((((((())))))
    Love Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Goodness NB :shock:

How scary and painful that must have been!! Do hope you are soon feeling more comfortable and can soon be back at home. I am sending healing wishes your way.
    Chris
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi NB,

glad the pain is lessening and that you are up and about even though it is with crutches. Is the equipment so that you follow hip restrictions again for awhile? Will the hospital liaise with the Wrightington to get you an appointment asap? Can you recall the movement you did that caused it to happen?

Hope they get the equipment sorted and let you escape asap.

Keep in touch,

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Oh my goodness, NB - what a horrible thing to happen! You poor thing. It was ages ago you had op so such a shock. Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight - ask for a sleeping pill if they let you.
    Hope you feeling much better really soon, sweetie
    love Pennie X
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks everyone for your good wishes.
    I am home with all the OT equipment and hip resrictions in place. I already have an appointment for Wrightington next Friday but rang the sec today to see if he wants to see me sooner to assess why it happened etc. She is ringing me back on Thursday after speaking to him.
    I`m glad to be home as the ward was very noisy. But I was very scared in the car and felt very freaked out when I went back into our room where it happened. I know what I was doing and it was just picking clothes from ironing pile on bed to put in wardrobe. Nothing major!
    NB
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Well I'm glad to see that you are home. I'm not surprised you are so shakened.

I seem to remember that you have been unsure about it for a few months now.
    Well you should get some answers on Friday if not before. I do so hope that they can put your mind at rest.

It's been an awful shock for you and I wish you well.

Lv, Ix
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi NB

what a terrible, painful thing to have happened. :shock:

I hope that your surgeon will see you sooner and that he can answer all your questions.

NB you rest up. Hope you have a peaceful night in your own bed..... hospitals are so noisy aren't they. :?

Make sure you've got plenty pain meds to see you through til you see the surgeon.

love and gentle ((((Hugs))))

Iris x 040.gif
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Oh gosh NB.. I had a shock when I read your message. That must have been very frightening indeed... I, too, didn't realise it could dislocate after such a length of time, and doing something so simple too...

Glad you are back home now.

It will be interesting to hear what they say to you at wrightington.

Hope you are not in too much pain.

Marion x
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi NB, glad to hear you are home - the OTs did well to get all the equipment in place so quickly.

I hope the ortho at the Wrightington sees you asap so that you get some answers to your questions and some more info.

Being a ceramic hip it should have a large ball and be safe from dislocating, but you did have that pain in the joint awhile back ... I too have a history of dysplaxia, I wonder if that adds to the risk of this happening.

I hope you manage to get a good nights sleep, take care,

Speedy
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi, I've just logged on and seen your posts. Am glad your home again and the dislocation pain has stopped but what a shock especially when doing something so simple. Depending on crutches again and all the associated restrictions for THR won't be fun either but take it easy you have had a massive shock, physically and emotionally. I guess you were admitted as an emergency to your local hospital and are anxious to hear what Wrightington have to say. Hope he can see you soon and give an explanation for a late dislocation. PM me if I can help in any way, take care
    elaine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi NB

I bet you get some sleep now you are home - it will be far quieter mind you - i bet a few freinds/family want to visit you to check you are ok?

I thought you were putting the BOARD aweay :shock: Blimey Nearly that is nothing :?

You use those crutches and lok after yourself till you get to see the consultant.

Love

Toni xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Morning all
    I had a good nights sleep in my own bed, probably aided by a dose of oromorph! i am sore today in the hip, and other places. This is probably from the dislocation and them putting it back in, which is supposed to be quite brutal. glad I was asleep.
    I am still shaken today and was tearful when hubby went to work. My children are at home til friday so i have some help, and I have family and friends popping in later.
    I am so grateful to have this forum to chat on, and will probably be around more.
    NB
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi NB

I am so very sorry to read your news. That is unbelieveable, I have never heard of that happening so long after a hip operation. I do hope that you get some answers soon. I wish you well with this and do let us know how you go on. You are bound to be tearful, it has all been an awful shock to you. At least you are home again now. GA's can also make you tearful and feel a little down, about the third day afterwards.

You call in as often as you wish, we are all here for you.

Luv and gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi NB

Cris has asked me to post for her to say she hops you are ok - she was really shocked.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well, I guess that's an end to your ironing tidying! I leave mine in piles all over the place 'cos I is untidy. I can't bend sufficiently to stuff things in anything but a top drawer, I can't climb all the stairs to The Husband's dressing area, so his stuff gets left on the stairs for him to carry, shirts are left hanging in doorways for the same reason, sorted! You poor thing, what a shock: truly frightening. I do hope that the pain has diminished, and that you are getting over it. I am so very sorry, take care and let us know how your doing please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Thanks Toni
    Say hi and hope you`re feeling ok to Cris too xx
    NB