No sleep

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 5. Sep 2010, 08:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am feeling like a zombie. i haven`t slept properly since Tuesday, when i came home from hospital. I think I only slept then cos I took Oromorph. My pain is less, but does wake me when i do doze off. I am taking other meds as recommended by my GP.
I think its the lying on my back that is hindering things, and an overactive mind! :roll: I am worried about mt hip, worried about work, my daughters birthday coming soon and not being able to arrange her party,.......told you I had an overactive mind!!
Any tips welcome!
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sleeping lying on your back is never easy but remind yourself that it is to help your hip, so that might remove one worry. By work I take it you mean paid employment - you have been in hospital, you are unable to work at the moment, so don't fret about that. They can manage without you, no-one is indispensable. I don't know how old your daughter is but birthdays do come around with monotonous regularity - would it be such a disaster if she didn't have a party this year? Just take all the children to Pizza Hut. Even better, get another mum to do it. (Or Mr Nearlybionic, if there is one).

You have inadvertantly set yourself back in quite a big way: that's done and dusted, you know where you are now and what you have to do. If oromorph helps you sleep, swig that. Failing that I find half a bottle of white grape juice and a tramadol works, or grape juice and a co-codamol or two. Or my MP3 player (music or a novel) even better. Sleep during the day if you need to, but not too much. Lying awake worrying achieves nothing: it's a waste of your time and energy, energy that you need for the daytime. It's a vicious circle that you are in and breaking it isn't easy. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

I hope you get a bit of a rest today to make up for the lack of sleep. I wonder if its the racing mind that's keeping you awake? Sometimes my pain relief sends my mind into orbit and then I can't sleep. Can you take the tablets etc a bit earlier in the day? I really hope you get some decent sleep as lack of it accentuates everything. Sending a ((( ))) and a hope. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Nearly

Ok today you organise the party.

You delegate jobs to other people but you get started write a list and delegate. You will worry less about that then.

Now you WILL worry about that hip - who on earth wouldn't? after what you've been through?!!!!

Maybe you have to remember how babdly you would have slept before when you had the op first time round....bet you didn't sleep well then?

I think Post-op we do expect to sleep badly, but I totally understand how exhausting lack of sleep is :(

If all else fails maybe GP can 'give you something else' short-term?

LOve and hugs

Toni xx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Thanks
    I totally understand what you are saying Dreamdaisy, but i am my own worst enemy and a control freak!! I will be able to sort something out for my daughter. And yes there is a very helpful MR NB, I don`t know what I`d do without him.
    My pre op pain was far far worse but I knew it would be better after the initial post op pain. And , I know this will be better too. I am a bit irrational due to sleep deprevation I think. (no wonder its used for torture!)
    I need to give myself a good talking to and get on with it. Sorry to be a moan , I will stop!! :oops:
    NB
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi,
    Firstly remember all that you are worrying about is entirely understandable given what's happened and sleep deprivation just makes it worse. It gives you more time for things to go round and round for one thing. Party will be sorted, perhaps not with you doing everything but that's no bad thing either. Amazing what you can control by delegating. Now control is an occupational hazard I think, we multiple task and manage several responsibilities at once. To achieve this the overactive mind is useful.the trouble is I have never found the off button. I well remember the sleeping (or not) on the back routine iPod was the only answer since meds send me funny and alcohol meant more getting up to the loo which had it's own crises.
    So all in all it's not surprising you're feeling exhausted, you're not moaning, you're talking to friends who are all shocked at what's happened. Your colleagues at work would be the first to tell you not to rush back so concentrate on what's important - that's you x elaine
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 5. Sep 2010, 09:12
    Options
    Hi NB,

sleeping on your back is vile - but unavoidable at the mo. Try nestling a smaller cushion against your cheek - so it feels rather like it does when you are able to nestle it into your pillow. As DD says if oromorph works - take it ... sleep will help with everything and no sleep makes everything seem worse. For the worrying and reoccuring thoughts - some people find writing them down at bedtime helps. I listen to a visual meditation or music on my ipod. If you google Chill Radio on the net - they do some 10 minute ones you can just download and are great for focusing the mind and for helping mind and body to relax. If 10 mins aren't enough there are others out there ... I really like ones by Bodi.... someone or other (would need to check the spelling..) not only does he work he has a very sexy voice to listen too!

As DD says, you can't help work - just keep them informed, re daughters birthday - stick to an easy option this year. Use the fab Mr. NB ....

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You know your faults by the sound of it! You control freaks are a real pain sometimes - and that is said in a friendly way. Think about what advice you would give to someone who had posted in a similar vein to you, then take your own advice! Cede control for a few days - the world will not fall apart. Then, when rested and refreshed get back to organising everyone as you want, with renewed vim and vigour! Setbacks happen: give in, recover then return a new woman. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi NB

You've had lots of good advice from others and I can't really add their sound advice. :wink:

If your pain is controllable with oromorph... then please do take it, especially as it will also help relax tense muscles and let you sleep.!
    It is of no consequence to anyone else if you go back to oromorph for a while.... but might make a huge difference to how you are feeling.

without sleep we can do nothing and our brains get even more muddled than they are already. :lol:

hope to hear of improvements soon!
    Iris xxxx