Night driving...... who dreads it ?

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 11. Sep 2010, 17:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
well i have trouble all year round :roll: :roll: :roll: never did learn how to drive boy friends always could and had cars so never bothered and do not have car so will not learn now 8) 8) :? . but do hate crossing road when you can not tell how fast car is going that coming towards you
val

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, Alan. I hate the dark nights of winter, and I hate driving in the dark even more. I try to avoid it as much as I possibly can.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Just a few weeks away now, the dreaded clocks are adjusted, I just wondered who dreads driving from October to April. My eyes struggle to adjust to night driving, and it gets dark about 3.45 pm
    in November. Does anyone else have trouble. Alanmancunian

certainly do have trouble-don't know why.
    I too try to avoid night driving, it's cars coming towards me that dazzle me- it's ok in towns with streetlights but not on dark motorways
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    i have mentioned this to my opticians. i feel like i am blind as a bat driving in the dark. i dont need glasses legally for driving although bit short sighted so i do wear them and it helps, then had anti glare put on them which also helps but its awful, its bit like youre drunk..also not good walking in dimly lit places like car parks either, walk like old lady!
    dont worry folks!..i drive v carefully and drive very slowly on roads, brightly lit motorways i dont have a problem in the dark.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Motorways are more straightforward for night driving as the opposing traffic is somewhat distanced from one. Town driving is fine thanks to street lamps - what makes it tricky is the gormless driver heading towards you, on a clear night, with side, mains and fog lights on, and on a foggy night, the same gormless wonder coming towards you on sidelights only. A problem I find, day or night, are the gormless who sit on their brakes at lights or in still traffic, lighting up their rear window with a dazzling, sometimes blinding array. I suspect that is because many new cars come without handbrakes, which I reckon is a basic design flaw. Remember the person behind you: use your handbrake when stationary.

Favourite driving in the dark? Unlit country lanes. Fabulous. When pain strikes I often go out, fire up the Micra and head for the hills. Smashing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    I don't like the night drive home because there seem to be a lot of people who struggle driving at night full stop. There needs to be some sort of adjustment period I think where were all go out and get used to the darker nights. Not putting the clocks back would help!

I don't mind night driving apart from drivers who don't check the level of their headlamps and dazzle you either coming towards you or sat behind you blinding you with in the rear view.

And of course the plonkers who just can't drive full stop regardless of whether it's dark, light, sunny or rainy, they are just plonkers.

Ange..xx :lol:

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    A thought: is there an element of night driving in the test now? If not, surely that would be worth including and in new driver training too. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I don't drive after dark,

Don't mind well lit roads if i needed to go out but not un lit roads as i don't like the on coming headlamps either.
    (leave night driing to OH)

Don't like motorways that are in the dark even if it is OH driving.

Dont like Dark full stop. (arthurs fault)

juliepf x
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Motorways are more straightforward for night driving as the opposing traffic is somewhat distanced from one. Town driving is fine thanks to street lamps - what makes it tricky is the gormless driver heading towards you, on a clear night, with side, mains and fog lights on, and on a foggy night, the same gormless wonder coming towards you on sidelights only. A problem I find, day or night, are the gormless who sit on their brakes at lights or in still traffic, lighting up their rear window with a dazzling, sometimes blinding array. I suspect that is because many new cars come without handbrakes, which I reckon is a basic design flaw. Remember the person behind you: use your handbrake when stationary.

Favourite driving in the dark? Unlit country lanes. Fabulous. When pain strikes I often go out, fire up the Micra and head for the hills. Smashing. DD
    i didn't know cars come without handbrakes now. What are you supposed to hold at lights with?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    People prefer to wear out their clutches, doing a balancing act with the accelerator. My ankles won't play that game now, not that they ever did. Handbrakes are useful things! DD
  • oneday
    Options
    hope youre not night driving same time as looking up at stars and drinking brandy! ??
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    I have trouble with that 'in between' dusky light/dark.

Try to get done eraly if I can.

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    You mean one of those hummers Cham??

How many can you get in? Ther's a fair few of us on here you know :shock:
  • oneday
    Options
    Seen a limo outside registry office on way to shops.
    Left shops and saw limo moved just round corner at venue for reception. I said to young son, she could have walked and saved the money - he said, she might ruin her dress!!
  • oneday
    Options
    Was driving in dark last night and thought i must post this and esp for DD.
    Sat at lights on red, slight hill, handbrake on, car infront no handbrake but rear window brake light all lit up. Next minute car arrvies behind, side lights, full light, fog lights, everything and v white bright light. I nearly blinded and had to cover my mirror so stop blasst into my eyes. So even though i had handbrake on i thought he needed the red light treatment and sat with foot on my brake until traffic lights changed!