9/11

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 12. Sep 2010, 14:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Now that the date of the 9/11 attacks is here again I thought it would be appropriate that some form of tribute thread should be posted so here's mine.
September is a bitter sweet month for me and the 11th and 12 are the key dates, the 12 is the date my dear brother was killed in an RTA in 1991 and 9/11 obviously one of those dates when everyone knew where they were when it happened, my personal memories were I had just got back from canoeing the sky was blue and summer was ending but the sun was still warm, and as I watched the horror unfold I was struck how the sky there was exactly the same, in fact it look almost false it was so clear, nothing looked real it was all to clean and clinically clear, but tragically it was real. So this is from me to all those who lost loved ones on that terrible day, be they black white or brown, Christian, Muslim Roman Catholic Buddhist etc.
For we are all one under the same sky and yet so diverse, but evil and hate still lives strong in many hearts, maybe just maybe one day we can all see we are of one tribe on this Earth, then and only then hate and fear will be banished from the human heart.
Right that said this is the poem that I think is as fitting as any.

Do not stand at my grave and weep..
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awake in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry..
I am not there. I did not die.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Mell what a beautiful and fitting poem for both 9/11 and your brother

As you say I do remember what I was doing when that happened. I right with you and so hope one day people will see killing just isn't the answer. I think it will happen Mell but its going to take a long time to do it. Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wonderful words mell, both yours and the poem. I was teaching that day, I can still remember being told about it and not believing it. I went upstairs and put on the television and there was the plane heading towards the towers. I could not believe my eyes. I still can't, even now. I still, stupidly, think 'It isn't going to do that - it just isn't.' whenever I see the footage. And it still does.

As long as the world has religions the wars will continue.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    This dreadful event of 9/11 happened just six months after my precious Frank died. I was already lost, deep in despair, and this made everything so much worse. For a brief time I too wanted to leave this awful world.

This Christina Rossetti poem says it all for me, and it was read at Frank`s funeral.

REMEMBER ME.

Remember me when I am gone away.
    Gone far away into the silent land.
    When you can no more hold me by the hand,
    Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
    Remember me when no more day by day
    You tell me of our future that you planned.
    Only remember me.
    You understand it will be too late to counsel then, or pray.

Yet, if you should forget me for a while,
    And afterwards remember, do not grieve.
    For, if the darkness and corruption leave
    a vestige of the thoughts that I once had.
    Better by far that you should forget and smile,
    Than that you should remember, and be sad.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 11. Sep 2010, 09:25
    Options
    Mell, that was a heart-felt and very moving tribute to both your brother and the 9/11 victims. I know what terrible shock and loss you suffered when your brother was killed, so the anniversary of his death must be a very difficult time for you. My thoughts are with you and your family.

It is strange the details you remember when a traumatic event occurs, and like you, I also remember the clear blue sky on 9/11. It seemed to add to the horror that such a terrible thing could happen on such a perfect day.

Someone I know lived only a couple of blocks away from the twin towers, and he witnessed what happened from his appartment. Later, he wrote about his experience on that day, and the sheer panic he felt for his wife who worked in the twin towers. She had left for work early that day, but thankfully she was rescued in time. The blue sky was one of the things which stayed in his memory too.

DD, I don't think you can blame religion itself for all the ills of the world. Most religions have 99% of good people, who contribute an enormous amount to society, and only 1% of extremists who use religion to further their own evil intentions. Sadly, evil will always exist in the world, with or without religion.

Thank you for posting the poems, Mell and Ange. They are both lovely poems for anyone who has lost someone they love. I particulary like the last two lines:

Better by far that you should forget and smile,
    Than that you should remember, and be sad.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Ange a lovely poem as well.

I well remember that feeling of waning to join them and get out of this horrible world! Glad it passed for you and remember you are a very valued person. Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx

I also feel so sad about Lockerbie as well..... terrorists really are callous people what ever their motivation! Its all down to extremists and I so wish they could see its not the way to do it.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Our daughter was 21 years old and helping out in a soup kitchen for the homeless, very nearby in New York City. She heard nothing, being in the basement, until those that knew, passed on the shocking news. We were beside ourselves with worry until we could finally make contact with her, where she was staying.
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Elna, that must have been dreadful for you. Thank heaven your daughter was safe.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I was at work when it all kicked off.

We had a telly in the kitchen there and all of us spent time dashing in and out trying to keep up with events.

It all seemed so unreal.......like one of those disaster movies. It was difficult to comprehend that it was really happening.

I don't think it really hit home until the evening - by that time we all seemed to have taken it in.

I devoutly hope it never happens again.

Annie
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Thanks Mel very fitting!
    I was driving through Wales the day after..... and Radio 2 asked people to call in with fitting songs ...this came on ...it still brings those pictures back and makes the hair on my neck stand up!
    The man explained he had felt NY had been parsdise for him until that day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aQC_uwNKSM&feature=related

THE LAST RESORT

She came from Providence,
    the one in Rhode Island
    Where the old world shadows hang
    heavy in the air
    She packed her hopes and dreams
    like a refugee
    Just as her father came across the sea
    She heard about a place people were smilin'
    They spoke about the red man's way,
    and how they loved the land
    And they came from everywhere
    to the Great Divide
    Seeking a place to stand
    or a place to hide

Down in the crowded bars,
    out for a good time,
    Can't wait to tell you all,
    what it's like up there
    And they called it paradise
    I don't know why
    Somebody laid the mountains low
    while the town got high

Then the chilly winds blew down
    Across the desert
    through the canyons of the coast, to
    the Malibu
    Where the pretty people play,
    hungry for power
    to light their neon way
    and give them things to do

Some rich men came and raped the land,
    Nobody caught 'em
    Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus,
    people bought 'em
    And they called it paradise
    The place to be
    They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea

You can leave it all behind
    and sail to Lahaina
    just like the missionaries did, so many years ago
    They even brought a neon sign: "Jesus is coming"
    Brought the white man's burden down
    Brought the white man's reign

Who will provide the grand design?
    What is yours and what is mine?
    'Cause there is no more new frontier
    We have got to make it here

We satisfy our endless needs and
    justify our bloody deeds,
    in the name of destiny and the name of God

And you can see them there,
    On Sunday morning
    They stand up and sing about
    what it's like up there
    They call it paradise
    I don't know why
    You call someplace paradise,
    kiss it goodbye

*CB*
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    It was a warm sunny day in America. I had Fox News on the TV. One of the Towers had already been hit. Then I watched in horror as the second plane hit the other Tower.

I saw people jump from the windows. I can still remember the first person announced dead at the scene. It was the Father who used to go to the New York Fire Station.. He was giving someone the Last Rites when he lost his life.

As we watched the horrors that followed little did we know what we know now. The inpact this would have to me and my family.

For all the people that lost their lives on this day and the days that followed.

g0517.gif

Do not stand at my grave and weep..
    I am not there. I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow,
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awake in the morning's hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft star-shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry..
    I am not there. I did not die.

g0517.gif

Trisher xxx
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Mell, your tribute is lovely.

I remember this day also. It was the week after I began my first teaching job. I was a newly qualified teacher. I got home and sat with all my family watching the TV and the events that unfolded.

The following day I went into school and a special staff briefing was called. A pupil from the school the day before has died on the way home. He was on a train and the ticket inspector came through, he did not have a ticket so he opened the door (days of slam door trains) and jumped out with fatal consequences. All the teachers then had to take registration and tell their form groups of the news. It was the hardest thing I have had to do at school.

I feel really sorry for his parents, it must be difficult enough on this day but more so as it coincides with the tragic events of 9/11 and the media build up is so intense - they cannot remember quietly.

Fayann xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Mell what a fitting tribute this is, like you say what ever there religion or colour, we should stand has one.
    Those poor people that died or where injured, came from every walk of life.
    Ange it must have been so awful for you.....love Barbara xx
    Elna thank goodness your daughter was safe...Love Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Beautiful
    We will remember and the world will never forget 9/11
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    it has taken me all day to read this thread why?? well been in strange mood all day and could not cope with anything to sad . now feeling little better have read most of what posted and want to say all the poems are lovely and heart felt we all feel the sadness in our own way some shareing ,some on there own we will never understand how some people come to carry out such misguided things but we must forgive them if we are not to become some one we would not wish to be.
    if we look back in our past there is plenty we have done in the name of religion that we are ashamed of we must all learn and not repeat the same mistakes and remember those who paid the ultimate price val
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Val and all yep it's not religion that's the problem but man's interpretation of the words within, as the old saying goes, there are good men and evil men in this world but religion allows good men to do evil things, for me I like the pagan angle on things, although I have a soft spot for Buddhist take on life as well.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    I do not practice a religion any more, despite - or perhaps because of - having been brought up in a devout Catholic family, and being Convent educated. Yet, my spirituality has never been stronger, and I am more content in myself than I ever have been.

Melly, I send you, and your family, sincere thoughts on this sad day.........Ange.x.
  • mellman01
    Options
    Thanks Ange!. :)
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Mell
    Just to say I am thinking about you today, It must have been an awful shock.
    Love to you and your family
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi Barbara thanks, yes it was but the train of events it then set off in my life I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams, and the recent problems at work with my OA has seriously effected me along similar lines, it's like a flippin re run some days, not nice one little bit.
  • barbara12
    Options
    Mell
    Like you say sometimes you think you are coping well, then something else can trigger it of.
    Hopefully you will get things sorted at work, then who knows, you may feel like a weight has been lifted.
    Good Luck
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mellman01
    Options
    Yep it can't go on like it is, big problem is I am being treated like I am guilty of some terrible crime and I should just carry on and take the pain etc, HR want me sacked under incapability no empathy no advice or assistance just to much sick so off you go my old son, not nice at all no wonder I am drinking more than i should right now, I feel as if I am on death row waiting for the allotted hour to come, but i don't even get a lasts request of meal out of it!.
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Yep it can't go on like it is, big problem is I am being treated like I am guilty of some terrible crime and I should just carry on and take the pain etc, HR want me sacked under incapability no empathy no advice or assistance just to much sick so off you go my old son, not nice at all no wonder I am drinking more than i should right now, I feel as if I am on death row waiting for the allotted hour to come, but i don't even get a lasts request of meal out of it!.

Mel I thinking about you lots....its a very emotional time for you and many things get magnified and look too big for us to handle at these times.
    I was made to feel like you(by management) in a job I absolutely adored and knew I did very well.....I personally felt I was letting down my colleagues as the job was physically demanding, although I well made up for that in many other things. I took the decision (quietly) to walk away and find a new position...and I have regretted it ever since....my colleagues are now very good friends and wish I had spoken to them about my decision.
    I wasnt aware that I could have spoken to people such as the union or of the DWA. Also wish I had known about the forum.

So please dont let anyone get to you or push you away from the job. They really have no right and can be taken to task about it.

Hope I helped a little just wanted to make the point no one has a right to make you feel its wrong to be ill! and that there is support to be had... and procedures to go through ...wish I'd found it back then.

Best wishes *CB*
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I feel humbled remembering what some people have gone through and so very lucky that I have everyone I love around me.

I was pregnant with my middle daughter and working at Egg when the news spread about these attacks. I remember a hush falling over the call centre as we all went online and looked at the footage on Sky News over and over, speechless.

We should never forget those who died/ were injured and their families, but it's high time we started to LEARN from these tragedies and stop repeating the same mistakes.

Nx