Chutney

Options
nanasue
nanasue Member Posts: 465
edited 23. Sep 2010, 12:34 in Community Chit-chat archive
Decided to make chutney today with all the tomatoes left in my garden that need to be picked. Next week christmas puddings I think, I love cooking ( not dinner every night though) but have to be in the mood, I've got the bug at the moment so here's to a happy hubby (that takes some doing) and I'll make him something nice for his birthday tomorrow, maybe fruit cake or a fruit pie or maybe a steamed sponge pudding? he likes all the old fashioned stuff, not cheesecake or tiramisu and with lashings of custard. I feel a rice pudding and some scones coming on, what to choose? who knows.

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi nanasue, and pleased to meet you :D

My house has smelled like a pickle factory recently as I have been making lots of chutney too. I'm now waiting for it to mature before eating it. I have also found a brilliant recipe for home-made tomato ketchup which is easy to make and delicious.

Tomato Ketchup

4lb ripe tomatoes
    1 large onion
    2 large apples
    3 quarters pint of spiced vinegar ( I use ready spiced, but otherwise boil 2 teaspoons of pickling spice in vinegar for 10mins)
    Large pinch of cayenne or paprika pepper
    6oz sugar

Skin and chop the tomatoes, apples and onion. Cook to a thick pulp. stirring frequently. Sieve or liquidise the pulp ( I put it in a liquidiser ) Simmer gently with the vinegar, cayenne, and sugar until thick and creamy. Add salt to taste. Pot at once in sterilised jars or bottles, and seal.

It goes very well with fish and chips!

Happy Birthday to your husband. The way to a man's heart, and all that??

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oooh nansue, a happy hubby? Do your chutneys etc then add a little something extra to a special one just for him. This can be dispensed with whatever meal you cook, the next time he gets you down. That'll be tomorrow then? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Nice to meet you Nanasue.

I'm getting hungry now! I love cooking but have never made my own pickles, etc. I make my own cakes and biscuits since I discovered I was a caeliac though - the only problem is that my hubby and girls eat them all, leaving me with gluten shop brands!

Nx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    That's me buggerd then can't stand the sound or feeling of pealing apples, I know it's odd but we are talking about me so it's quite normal, really makes me cringe nooooooooooooooo just the tought of them has set me off!!!!!. :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Really mell? Is other fruit and veg OK? Are you still jam-making? If you have any plum, bung a pot my way please - I adore plum jam. DD
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    hi. my landlady's got dozens of tomatoes ready- i like em but enough's enough.
    can anyone give me some receipe's for xess toms apart from chutney(sorry don't like it)
    Don't want to throw them away
    thanks
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Tomato soup, which is obvious, but you can also make tomato bread, which is lovely. I used to have a recipe - would you like me to see if I can dig it out? DD
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    We have got tons of figs this year and we are going to give fig jam a go Let you know how we get on :)
  • daylily
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Tomato soup, which is obvious, but you can also make tomato bread, which is lovely. I used to have a recipe - would you like me to see if I can dig it out? DD

bread sounds great DD
  • daylily
    Options
    tonesp wrote:
    We have got tons of figs this year and we are going to give fig jam a go Let you know how we get on :)

I bet thats really tasty :!:
  • tonesp
    Options
    daylily wrote:
    tonesp wrote:

I bet thats really tasty :!:[/q
    Fig Jam made haven't dared to taste it yet.Does it have to be left to mature like fruit cake or Xmas Pud? :?:
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    you have christmas puddings growing in the garden " WOW"
    do they grow on trees or in the ground like carrots.
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joan

How many jars does that make? 'Sounds scrummy.

How about pickling onions anyone got a simple recipe I could dod for Christmas? How many jars would you need?

Trish xxx
  • tonesp
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    you have christmas puddings growing in the garden " WOW"
    do they grow on trees or in the ground like carrots.
    Nobody loves a smartass But as tou ask they grow on vines :roll: :roll:
  • tonesp
    Options
    Had the first taste of the jam today Magnifico Got 3 kilos to eat :D