Redundancy............ a good thing

Options
carol101
carol101 Member Posts: 584
edited 15. Sep 2010, 01:49 in Community Chit-chat archive
At the end of July i was made redundant after 10 years. I used to work with my husband as his supervisor. He is still working but there used to be 3 shifts, now there's only 2 so obviously supervisors had to go and i was one of the 3. It was a bit of a shock to the system since i have never been out of work since leaving school. Work was starting to get really stressfull with new management and more and more mangerial things being put onto supervisors so in some ways i was glad to be out. I didn't even work my notice. I went into work at 10pm on the 28th July knowing we were all under threat of loosing our jobs but not knowing who the chosen ones were. By 11.30 i was walking out unemployed. I think about 25 of us went in total, 3 supervisors and 22 production staff.

But out of that has come good things. I now run my own business and have none of the stress i was getting at work. I am no way earning what i was but i'm happy. I will be going back to the same place of work soon but as a casual worker so no pressure and i can work when i wish meaning it tops up the wages but leaves me plenty of time for my business.

I won't put my busniess name on here since i sell things but you can find a link to my website and blog on my profile.
Carol x

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Carol

it is great to see your very positive post when I remember how low you were when I first saw you posting.

Well done on making a really tough time work for you ..... and I'm really glad to know that your business is working for you. :D

loads of hugs
    WOnky
  • carol101
    Options
    That's great news Carol. I've read on here a few times about people leaving work (because of arthur, mostly), and they say it's the best thing that happened to them.

Great to hear things are working out for you - good luck with the business.

Lynn xx

Thanks Lynn. I think if i hadn't been made redundant arthur certainly would have been an issue. I'm nowhere near as bad as some of the people in here but the new boss dishes out disciplinarys for being off sick so we would have come to blows anyway! While i was still there i had 5 hours off due to toothache which i had to have taken out and i got disciplined for it. Just for 5 hrs loss of work! There are plenty of people who do take the mick and have time off left right and centre but i certaianly am not one of them.
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Well done, Carol, for making a new start. I wish you well in your business, and much success in the future.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • carol101
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Yes i was in a very dark place when i joined about a year ago. That was when i was diagnosed. I had pain, depression, everything. But i'm no a stronger person and hopefully can help anyone else feeling how i did back then.

I'm proof that you will get through it!

Carol x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Carol

Nice to see you again. Well in a way it is better hubby stayed on don't you think?

You have done really well with your baby clothes I was looking the other day.

I showed hubby the picture of the new born doll dressed up and he went all cooing and said she's a lovely baby so sweet then I told him it was a doll he thought I was having him on. Then I showed him the doll in bits. He got all emotional he would have loved us to have had a girl as well as the boys.

So there you go. Hey not all bad is it? I remember you used to be in a lot of pain in your back.

Well good luck to you.

Love Trish xxxx
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    Hi Carol, just wanted to add my best wishes and good luck for your business. Hope all continues to go well for you. Love, Brenda ss
  • carol101
    Options
    Hi Trish

Yes it was better that hubby stayed on, better for my back and although i was in charge of him, he earns a little more than me as he has been ther 10years longer. He gets fed up with his job from time to time as anyone does but being a machine operator he doesn't have all the pressures i had.

My doll is adorable isn't she? A lady from facebook made her for me to my spec. I know what you mean about getting emotional. Hubby and i are unable to have kids but would have loved a daughter called Danielle so that's the dolls name. She came with a birth certificate! She weighs 7lb 2oz and has a floppy head so you have to hold her like a real baby x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi carol

just wanted to say good luck with your business and I hope that now you haven't as much pressure arthur will be better to you

juliepf x
  • carol101
    Options
    Thank you Julie and nice to meet you x
  • carol101
    Options
    awwww well you is so very clever im glad its working out so well, alot less pressure has so got to be the best thing for all, well done hun, but im sure its a real baby you use ya know !! :lol::lol:

[girls she dumps the baby in a draw when not taking photos im sure !!!! :lol: ]

Would i ever?!? She sleeps in a cardboard box, and a padded one at that!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Carol

I think you did good girl :)

evrey cloud does indeed have a silver lining :)

Nice to hear such a positive story too.

Love

Toni xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Carol, what a long way you have come in a year! Hope the good luck continues. Your current arrangements must be better for you (and arther).

Maybe I should knit another hat?

Annie
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Hi Carol,

Your story has made me so happy, and I am sure the others on the forum team feel the same.

All the very best for the business - I probably shouldn't say this but I bought one of your blankets for my new little grandson and my dol was over the moon with it. :D

Jean
  • carol101
    Options
    jean123 wrote:
    Hi Carol,

Your story has made me so happy, and I am sure the others on the forum team feel the same.

All the very best for the business - I probably shouldn't say this but I bought one of your blankets for my new little grandson and my dol was over the moon with it. :D

Jean

Oh did you really? I take it that was from the auction site? Glad it was liked.
  • carol101
    Options
    A lady from Australia has just contacted me wanting me to make her 4 matinee jackets!