money in collections-not charity ones

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 15. Sep 2010, 12:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
What does everyone think or do about collections for e.g. birthdays,weddings etc at work? I was asked to put a large amount in one for someone i dont know. This is a difficult spot i am in and frankly i dont want to put into it or any collection like this.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hate that Oneday :(

I dont think they can ask for a specific amount surely? how rude?

I think I would have to say - I havent met....name....so I can only spare a bit and put some in - whatever you can honestly afford.

Poor you

love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    tell them you only give to people you know. we collect for birthdays at work but there only a few of us one of the men does not join in but i do not mind some others do not feel the same way lol val
    val
  • oneday
    Options
    I thought should i
    1. say no outright
    2. say heres a couple of pounds which i think is reasonable enough
    3. bite the bullet and just say i have no money

either way i feel someones gonna slag me off. In all my working years when theres been a collection its either been anon. i.e. put some amount in a bucket etc or between people who have known each other years and theres agreement to put an amount in. This is for a new group i am going to join - so not a good start. Others i have spoke to dont like doing it either but just do it - its always me who seems to have to stick my neck out.
    Feel fed up with the place at the moment - all aspects getting me down.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Oneday

if you are new and you can afford it - then do it for the sake of fitting in just now.

Not right though and it grates even thinking about it :x

Love

Toni xx
  • oneday
    Options
    PM you
  • annebr
    annebr Member Posts: 730
    Options
    Oneday,

If you don't know them why should you put in to the collection? don't me intimidated, I now only give to collections if I know the person and only give what I can afford.

I did work for one company that went OTT for these types of things & once when I refused to contribute tried to bully me into doing so.

Do what you think is best.

Anne
  • oneday
    Options
    will you all come with me?
  • oneday
    Options
    yeah..tho its always me that sticks my head of the sand to make a stand!...everyone else always looks like goody two shoes but they benefit from the "waves" i make!
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    When i was at work we had 2 departments who worked side by side. I Used to always put into collections whether i know the person or not. When ever it came from our side though, the other side always said 'no, i don't know them'. This started to really p*ss me off so i started only giving to collections for people i worked closely with.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Where I work, I used to do the collections all the time and did it all anonymously by leaving a tin and a card to sign in the kitchen. I don't think it's fair to expect people to contribute, it's supposed to be voluntary!

I have a person who used to be in my team who is now leaving the organisation. She hadn't been happy for quite a long time and I always thought in the past that she blamed me for it. I saw her at the fire station where she works yesterday and she completely blanked me, didn't even look at me, even though we worked together every day for nearly 4 years. So I've told the person who's doing her collection that I'm not going to contribute to it - it would be hypocritical of me to sign her card also (she'll only think I was being insincere).

Nx
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi

2 and 1/2 years ago,my Dad died suddenly. Did I get a card from work? No. I have been pretty ill with my arthritis for the last two years with me being off more than at work. Did I get a card in all that time and well wishes from them? No. When I hopefully return in 2 weeks, I will refuse to give money etc for any collections. As it's only my RA, it doesn't register that I am actually ill.

**** the bloomin lot of them, why should you give money to those who don't give a stuff about you? Especially as you don't know them at all? Sorry this is a sore point for me

Janie
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    We tend to bring in cakes and treats if it's our birthday for our department (we are a big building so we only cover our own departments).

If we do a collection a card gets taken round, and people donate what they want, and I always say (because I do most of them for my area), contributions are voluntary, but usually everyone gives something, ranging from 50p to £20 sometimes (depending on who it is and the occasions etc).

This is usually because of marriage, baby or retirement though.

I think it is terrible to expect a certain amount from anyone, not good at all, and you should not have to be made to feel small because you can't afford more. It is the thought after all, that is supposed to count.

Don't feel bad, either give what you feel is right, or don't give at all.

Ange..xx

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • oneday
    Options
    i was too late for collection as gift already bought...but i didnt even get a thanks or acknowledgement for the birthday card!!!!