tomato bread

Options
daylily
daylily Member Posts: 619
edited 23. Sep 2010, 03:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
hi dreamdaisy. did you manage to find that tomato recipe :?:
think i'll have a tomato fight on the prom for charity if i can't do anything with them :lol::lol::lol:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry hun, I missed the instruction to hunt! I will go on the search today and see what I can dig up. How are things with you today? Any sign of the missing millions? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daylily
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Sorry hun, I missed the instruction to hunt! I will go on the search today and see what I can dig up. How are things with you today? Any sign of the missing millions? DD

hi. no chance with the dosh. i've been looking through piles of old photos today seeing if i slipped it in there :? :?
    i'll keep going though bit by bit.
    last time i did it couple years ago i put it in a container in with the budgie stuff.
    ended up throwing it out :x :x :x
    at least i wouldn't be daft enough to put it there again :?: :?: :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Sorry - giggling! You daft girl! I hope to whatever that you haven't done that again! Oh daylily, (wanders off chuckling to make tea and do meds)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, I have been hunting, no joy to date. I will keep looking tho. DD
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 17. Sep 2010, 07:22
    Options
    get a load of tomaotes and drop into a pan of boiling water, drain then allow to cool and remove skins, cut up an onion and a crush few bulbs of garlic put in a frying pan add water olive oil and heat until all water has gone or onion is cooked, peal tomaotes bin the skins and throw onions garlic etc into on sauce pan and heat, add chilli and Shwartz Italian herbs to taste, or use your own fresh ones for more flavour, simmer to reduce and add salt and chilli to tast. remember though that reducing it's overal volume will increase flavours on their own so be carful!, I do this and freeze it then have it through the winter, bloody lovely.

Oh hell I forgot to say add achovies to tast, and if it seems slightly dull in colour then add tomato purre, I also add a little truffle oil to give it an extra garlic taste, god me mouth is watering just at the thought of it!.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options
    Lovely Mell :D

Daylily have you really lost some money?

LOve

Toni xx
  • daylily
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Lovely Mell :D

Daylily have you really lost some money?

LOve

Toni xx

oh yes :!:
    hubby disabled and i didn't like him carrying it around so i put 500 quid somewhere safe :roll: :roll: :roll:
    that was about 3 months ago :!: :!:
  • daylily
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    get a load of tomaotes and drop into a pan of boiling water, drain then allow to cool and remove skins, cut up an onion and a crush few bulbs of garlic put in a frying pan add water olive oil and heat until all water has gone or onion is cooked, peal tomaotes bin the skins and throw onions garlic etc into on sauce pan and heat, add chilli and Shwartz Italian herbs to tast, or use your own fresh ones for more flavour, simmer and add salt and chilli to tast, I do this and freeze it then have it through the winter, bloody lovely.

thanks Mell might give that a go. Seems shame to waste them on a fight on the prom :!: :!: :!:
  • daylily
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Right, I have been hunting, no joy to date. I will keep looking tho. DD

thanks DD
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    check out Sophie Dahls tomato soup on the web...may come under Bbc stuff!
    It freezes well and gets quite intense after freezing so can be used in other stuff!

t1932.gif

*CB*
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Mel suddenly I really wish I could eat tomatoes..... xx

Hi CB how you doing? Cris x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    we have loads of small cherry tomatoes and made a quick meal the other night that was scrummy.

lay out ready-rolled shortcrust pastry on a baking sheet.
    fry some onions & peppers in butter & olive oil until softened.
    spread tomato pesto (or other tomato-based paste) over pastry.
    spread onions & peppers on top.
    place halved or sliced tomatoes on top & sprinkle with grated cheese.

(any other veg could be added if you wanted to - sweetcorn worked well for us)

put in oven at 200 C for about 20-30 mins or until pastry is cooked and cheese is browned.

enjoy!

forgot to say, I fold over the edges of the pastry so that it has a crust around the edge - stops the filling escaping too :wink:
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    We had some of mine here at work yesterday and talk about strong flavour totally incredible they were, even made those on the vine ones at the shops seem bland!. Cris why can't you eat them then??.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    No joy yet, daylily, I am sorry to report. I will continue the search. I have dim memories (so true) of skinning and de-seeding them and adding to dough before baking - I think garlic was also involved and basil - or possibly oregano, or possibly both. I need to find it to check. You never know, I might find your missing money too - tho that would be a miracle! DD
  • cebeem
    Options
    Sophie Dahl ....you will love it!
  • daylily
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    No joy yet, daylily, I am sorry to report. I will continue the search. I have dim memories (so true) of skinning and de-seeding them and adding to dough before baking - I think garlic was also involved and basil - or possibly oregano, or possibly both. I need to find it to check. You never know, I might find your missing money too - tho that would be a miracle! DD

In other words DD just bung it all in and hope for the best :?: :!:
    Might have to move again so money should show up :lol::lol:
    Thanks for looking anyway
    anne x
  • daylily
    Options
    cebeem wrote:
    Sophie Dahl ....you will love it!
    I'll look on net for her recipe cos I honestly cannot stand the woman so never watch her.
    It's strange how we can take a dislike to someone we've never met isn't it :?:
    Completely irrational.
    Mind you nothing makes sense in my head these days :):):):)
  • cebeem
    Options
    I can send you the recipe then you will not know Sophie had anyhthing to do with it!
    *CB*
  • daylily
    Options
    cebeem wrote:
    I can send you the recipe then you will not know Sophie had anyhthing to do with it!
    *CB*
    Brilliant :!:
    Thanks a lot
    anne
    xx
  • cebeem
    Options
    daylily wrote:
    cebeem wrote:
    *CB*
    Brilliant :!:
    Thanks a lot
    anne

xx
    For the soup
    2kg/4½lbs ripe tomatoes, halved
    1 garlic bulb, cut in half horizontally
    2 large red onions, peeled, quartered
    few sprigs fresh thyme
    1 tbsp golden caster sugar
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    250ml/9fl oz vegetable stock (optional)
    100ml/3½fl oz single cream (optional)
    few drops Worcestershire sauce (optional)
    few drops balsamic vinegar (optional)
    Red wine optional

Preparation method
    Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
    Bake the potatoes directly on the wire rack of the oven for 1½ - 1¾ hours, or until tender.
    Meanwhile, for the soup, place the tomatoes, garlic, onions and thyme into a
    large roasting tin and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with the oil, and roast in the oven for 40-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
    Mash the garlic with the back of a fork, and discard the skin. Tip the roasted tomatoes and onions into a food processor along with the mashed garlic, and pulse until smooth.
    If the soup is too thick, pour into a large saucepan and loosen the mixture with either vegetable stock, or single cream. Add a little Worcestershire sauce or balsamic vinegar, to season, if you like.
    Remove the potatoes from the oven and using a cloth to hold the hot potato, cut each one in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl.
    Mix in the butter, crème fraîche, chives and goats' cheese, and stir in the egg.
    Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and spoon the potato mixture back into the skins. Place onto a baking tray in the oven for a further 15-20 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp on top.
    To serve, reheat the soup and divide among four bowls, with two potato halves each on the side.

I left out the garlic and replaced it with more red wine :)

and served it with crusty bread..not potatoes!

*CB*t1975.gif
  • daylily
    Options
    thanks CB.
    I've printed it off. I'll do it tomorrow.
    :):)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have to report failure, daylily, I am so sorry. I cannot find it anywhere, neither does my friend have it (she is a keen breadmaker, I thought I might have lent it to her but no). Sorry. :oops: DD
  • daylily
    Options
    that's ok DD. Landlady's son came for the weekend and took them ALL :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Really? Is that a Good thing or bad thing? Any joy on the other yet? Personally I am suspecting no, otherwise there would have been a triumphant post somewhere under the heading Found It! I hope you are both OK today. DD
  • daylily
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Really? Is that a Good thing or bad thing? Any joy on the other yet? Personally I am suspecting no, otherwise there would have been a triumphant post somewhere under the heading Found It! I hope you are both OK today. DD
    You're right about the other DD. Set off with high hopes somewhere else the other day-nothing. It'll turn up I guess but it's driving me nuts.
    I could kick myself (If I could get my leg that high) :roll: :roll:
    :lol::lol::lol: