Query about memory foam toppers

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Sep 2010, 16:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
My mum would like to know if she can use her electric blanket over her topper - she has been told by somebody that she shouldn't, and I don't have any idea. Does anyone know? Thank you. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Would think its just fine....so long as you switch it off when you get into bed to prevent overheating.
    OOOOOOooo lovely warm beds....cant wait!
    *CB*
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    NO, can't use it. A foam topper responds to body heat and using an electric blanket would most likely ruin it. Also if it gets too hot, then foam can give off fumes, very dangerous.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Thats very interesting ....Do they provide a warning with them?

*CB*
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you livinglegend, as always you turn up trumps! I hope all is well with you. DD
  • livinglegend
    Options
    cebeem wrote:
    Thats very interesting ....Do they provide a warning with them?
    *CB*
    Usually the comments are in FAQs on the websites, as the following given.

It is perfectly safe to continue using you electric blanket, if you wish. Memory Foam is temperature sensitive and softens from your body’s temperature, the heat from an electric blanket will soften it further. You may find that too much excess heat will not allow your mattress or topper to support you correctly. Use only for short periods of time prior to bedtime and never use one whilst in bed. http://www.sleepcheaper.co.uk/Memory_Foam_Mattress_Pages/faqs_memory_foam.htm

But as it says above, heat will soften it removing some of the support that it is designed to give. While they are fire retardant, if foam gets too hot by forgetting to turn off the electric blanket then ...........

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Which is exactly what my mum does. She gets all lovely and warm then dozes off! Thank you for your help, livinglegend - you are as thorough and detailed as ever. How's the painting going? DD
  • chicara
    chicara Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi

I just wanted to say thank you to DD for posting this query and Joseph for the informative replies. We bought a memory foam mattress about three months ago and if I had not read this thread we would have got the electric under blanket out and used it as normal this winter and yes I have been known to leave it on low all night!

So thanks to this thread I have been googling for an overblanket instead. Whilst browsing I have discovered that they actually make heated duvets now as well :o Never knew that.

Thanks again for the info

Take care

Chicara
  • livinglegend
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    How's the painting going? DD
    Getting ready for a small display as part of an exhibition next Friday, 24th Sept, so I have been a bit busy recently. Will post where/when/times on Monday pm. When I have final info. myself.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Thanks for the information Joseph. You learn something new everyday here

Joy
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Ahh, interesting question.

I used to use an electric blanket and then took if off the bed when I got my memory foam mattress topper. Having read they responded to your body heat I imagined it wouldn't work if combined with an electric blanket.

A memory foam topper is warmer than a bed without one, but I did miss my electric blanket after removing it.

Then I read a post by someone who used both, and was wondering if I had deduced wrong ... sadly not.

So it's a case of either/or. :cry:

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    The instructions which came with mine were that it was OK to use an electric blanket with a memory foam topper provided:-

It was on top of the memory foam.

Was never left on, whilst in bed.

Was only switched on, for short periods of time.

Confused?.......You will be!.......Ange.x.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi DD,

Just a bit of hijacking....

I got 2 quilts as underblankets and its not a bad substitute :lol::lol: xx

Hi Chicara,

Oh flower over blankets...... best invention I ever found :D Well maybe a pounder beats then :roll:

That wonderful warmth that wraps round the pain... they are wonderful,and me I will stick to the 2 quilts and have the blanket all night :lol::lol: Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You're not hijacking - and thank you for the thought. No, we've been there, tried that, and she wasn't happy about it for a number of reasons (I shall not bore you with them.) She loves her blanket, she hasn't found much benefit from the topper, tho it has kept her warmer during the summer, so I suspect the topper will be off and the blanket on. I swear she's part-lizard, she is cold all the time. DD
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi DD,

As a full card carrying member of the lizard brigade.... 2 quilts as under blankets and the over blanket is the best thing :D xx oh and lets not forget the 2 hottles.... and several cats, especially as sleep bonnets :lol::lol::lol: though cat hair will never catch on :lol:
  • chicara
    chicara Member Posts: 47
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi DD,

Hi Chicara,

Oh flower over blankets...... best invention I ever found :D Well maybe a pounder beats then :roll:

That wonderful warmth that wraps round the pain... they are wonderful,and me I will stick to the 2 quilts and have the blanket all night :lol::lol: Cris x

Warmth sounds wonderful but have a question. Do you ever find an overblanket too heavy on your aching bones? I have a job even to tolerate a sheet some nights, so just wondered about the weight of them.

Take care

Chicara
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Chicara,

Mine is fairly light weight and I have oa and pa in my neck and spine and its so nice to have that wrap around warmth :D

Its an old blanket so the newer ones might be even lighter. I would hope you could tolerate it. Its a shame you can't try it first but mine is quite lightweight.

The only real problem is now its coldish I have started using it and it can get a bit warm.... a few hours in but in mid winter when its very cold it comes into its own and heps to iron out the cramps and spasm I get in the back.

Chicara I just through.... its a fair bit lighter than an underblanket so it might be ok for you. i hope so cus its wonderful to have that heat wrapped round. Cris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    went to visit father inlaw yesterday and were talking about memorie foam toppers and electric blankets thanks to this link could tell him he could not use his under blanket but they could get an over blanket and that was ok thanks was nice to know something for a change lol
    val
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Hi there!
    Sorry to change subject slightly but are these memory foam mattresses really good? Also what is a topper? Is that as good as the mattress? Really having probs sleeping on my side now as fake hip sticks out at side & real dilapidated hip is hurting so much on other.
    Sorry again for slight subject change
    love Pennie X
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Options
    Thanks, Pixie - I will google it now & try to talk OH into it!:-)
    love Pennie X
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    I wouldn't be without mine, god what am I going to do while I'm away :cry:

Jules
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all