Can I just ask?

Options
beowolf
beowolf Member Posts: 88
edited 19. Sep 2010, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
When I went for my pre op assessment today ,I was told that i will go in on the day of my operation.

I must admit that I was a little surprised, I thought I would go in the day before.... I don't mind and it's not a problem, but I just wondered if all hospitals do this ?

Beo

Comments

• kay1971
    kay1971 Member Posts: 27
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have had a few ops and each time i have gone in on the day of the operation.
  • beowolf
    Options
    oh right.....thanks Kay

never had one myself before... except caesars

do they count ? :D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Beo
    Its used to be the norm to go in the day before, but apparently its all changed, I think its something to do with saving the beds :roll: suppose the other person gets one more day in the bed :)
    Hope it all goes well for you, to be honest, when I go in , I would prefer them to operate straight away, give me less time worrying.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stralachlan
    stralachlan Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Same here. Arrived 0700 into a waiting room, saw the consultant & anethetist, have an arrow drawn on me & got measured for crutches. Then a long boring wait til about 1300 when I was called in to get changed and go through the last few checks before making it to the op table at about 1400. Woke up in recovery room, and after another 30 mins was wheeled to the ward and reunited with my bag of clothes.
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Hope it's the same here in Spain Had all my pre op tests two weeks ago just want to go in get it done and go home as soon as poss.One thing here they don't have wards it's all private rooms 8)
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi beowolf :D

I went into the day surgery unit when I had my wrist replacement operation.... then transferred to the ortho ward afterwards.

I was a bit surprised too... as last year when I had the other wrist fusion I was admitted first to the ortho ward.

In fact it was a far better experience this time round...I sat with other peeps in a sitting room rather than in a ward... so it was much less stressful than waiting in the ward for the trolley to arrive.

Hope it all goes well for you beowolf.... did I miss the date of your op?

Iris xxx
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    changed here as long ago as 1996........I think they feel you are more relaxed at home..and also a bed is saved that way.
    I have been cancelled on the morning of op....so it also gives them that option if emergencies occur.

Personnally my nerves would be better getting there the night before and settling in!

*CB*
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Beo

Yes, I went in for 7 00 am on the day of the operation too.. it was very very busy on the ward - the Registrar was booking everyone in and taking 'consents' and drawing arrows on hips and knees to show what was being operated on!

I was the first one into theatre at 9 00 am so I didn't have to wait long!!

You will be fine .. are you have a spinal anaesthetic or GA?

Marion
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Beo,

Most of min I have gone in the day off but occasionally its been the day before. I think I prefer the day of though to be honest.

As Marion says you will be fine. ((( ))) Cris x
  • cazaline
    cazaline Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi there,

I think it varies depending on hospitals and the time you have the op. When I had my first hip replacement I was booked in for the afternoon so they got me in on the morning of the op but on my second hip replacement they said I had to come in the night before (although I did beg and plead to come in in the morning but it didn't get me anywhere) as it was just a list. There were no specific op times but I know I was second on the list (late morning I had it) so I assume that is why they wanted me there the night before, so I definitely had a bed.

Not sure what op you're having but all the best!

Take care,

Caroline xxx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    with my hysterectomy last october I went in at 1.30pm had op at 2.20pm was back out in bed at 6.45 so they dont hang around now but when in may this year I had my anthroscopy, had to go in day before as i am diabetic get fixed up to iv insulin make sure my blood sugars are doing ok and becasue of being on insulin I'm the first down at 7.30am back in bed and then home around 3.40 which involves a taxi to the docks catch the catamaran back to the Island then collect our car and am driven home to bed, I know when I have my TWR I also go in a day before to get my blood sugars sorted out then am first down again but stay in for a few days and then the hard work begins as I've been following Iris's op she had way back in June I think it was ,
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was first on the list on a Monday morning for one of mine, so went in on the Sunday afternoon which was horrid. The others it has been on the day. Like comedians, music and engines, it's all in the timing methinks. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Beo

Way the best way - i find it so much less stressful than the old days. Think they only did that to make sure you dont eat :wink:

The only time i went in the day before - I bottled it and went home!!!!!!!!hah!

Serioulsy I think they have checked you out before with the pre-ops and all that so no need - quicker in - quicker out these days - more ops done :wink:

LOve

Toni xx
  • beowolf
    Options
    Hi
    and many thanks for all of your replies.

The nurse at pre-op said i will go to a special waiting area where there's tv and magazines :D said it's more relaxed and everyone is in the same boat.... we'll all be fighting each other to see who goes first lol

I think it is a much better idea to go in on the day......at the moment i just wish i knew when the day was going to be :shock: mrs impatient thats me

Beo
  • deborahjane
    deborahjane Member Posts: 120
    Options
    i have always had to phone in morning of op to make sure ther is a bed,last op i had all prepared booked time off work,phoned in morning was told it was cancelled,so i had to go all through the pre assesment again.
  • beowolf
    Options
    thanks deborahjane

that's a good point

i must check if it's the same for me :D

i dread the thought of getting all psyched up and then it being cancelled :shock:

still, you have to live with what's thrown at you...no good worrying about what if...
    thanks

Beo