self emptying skip

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 19. Sep 2010, 16:59 in Community Chit-chat archive
When friends heard I was having a skip on my front garden, they were concerned it would quickly fill with neighbours junk - well the opposite is happening. As quickly as we put stuff in, it disappears. I don't mind, as long as it is out of the house but I now wonder why we had the skip - we should have just placed things on the grass ...

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Really?

wHat are you binning?

give me your address :wink:

People are odd aren't they?

Love

Toni xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    When we had a skip outside earlier in the summer we got asked for old bits of (wormy) wood, odd pieces of metal and a chair with 3 broken legs.

The mind boggles!

Annie
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    we used to fill the skip then watch out the window while people emptied it. All times of the night.
    Amazing :)
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    You should have all had a bootsale in the front garden.
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    we have put large items on pavement with 'free to good home on'
    and they have all gone.
    Saves going to the tip :!:
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I think with they way this country is people can't afford to spend like they did and we are going back to the make do and mend era.

When i was first married my old neighbour gave us some dining chairs. They had been kept in the shed so were a bit smelly, her grandson had attempted to paint them and the padding was going. They were still very sturdy but in an absolute state. We bought them home, stripped all the many layers of paint off and got back to the wood, gave them a run down and varnish and i repadded them with some foam and a leather look material. They looked brand new when we had finished and we still used them now, six years later.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Really?

wHat are you binning?

give me your address :wink:

People are odd aren't they?

Love

Toni xx

Same for me, I love skip surfing!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Somehow, mell, I am not surprised :D I found a plastic outdoor table and six chairs in a skip once, they lasted me for years. I was amazed I was able to liberate it all as I only had a bike and it took a number of trips. Got the lot tho! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    When our youngest son was little he came home from school one day carrying an awful pot witch (same size as a garden gnome) he'd rescued it from a skip and his face was a picture of delight. It still sits in the same place in our garden and is the ugliest ornament I've ever seen and know why it was thrown away .............but I can't bear to get rid of it. I'm waiting for the shrubs to grown around it so it remains hidden.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Truly broken stuff is going in the skip, stuff that you couldn't give to charity shop ... a broken and very old computer monitor, a dead scanner, a wobbly metal trolley thing ....

I too have taken things out of skips and can't help glancing in when walking past one, but it just surprised me.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi speedy

I have been away a few days, Glad the tidy up is going well.

They always say one mans junk is another mans treasure.

I would too be amazed to see my skip empty the day after. you sure it hasn't gone back into the shed :lol:

juliepf x