Rib Pain I think

Options
venita
venita Member Posts: 56
edited 23. Sep 2010, 18:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I don't post that often but I do look in weekly and read all your posts.

I would like to ask does anyone have this problem....for several weeks now I have had nausea, vomitting finding it hard to keep things down and excuriating pain in my ribs it varies from under my arm pit to the bottom of my ribs or sometimes it feels like it is in my lung its self right now I am having a really deep pain in my rib area left hand side which hurts when I breath.

I have been to A&E and been told that it is muscular pain I have also been to my GP who gave me cream to rub in and told me to increase my Tramadol.

I just wish I knew what it was and how i could at least reduce the pain in some way. I am sure like everyone here I have a very high pain threshold it is something we learn quickly to deal with.

Thank you for listening and I am sorry it is so long.

Venita

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi Venita, I get rib pain too. Not the nausea and vomiting but pain that seems to be right under my rib on the right side. Some doctors say it is common in rheumatoid arthritis. I don't know if this is the cause in me and, like you, worry about it. There are some posts on it on this site, if I can find one I will bump it up for you.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Venita,

Sometimes things can spread away from the original injury site. It can then be difficult to remember where it started. I have also heard the you can trap the muscul inbetween the ribs and this can be extremely painful.
    However, this has been going on for sometime now and I think another trip to A&E or the Dr's is called for.
    If it is muscular then all I can think of is deep heat or gentle massage.

I do hope you can get this sorted as it can really ware you down.

Lv, Ix
  • venita
    Options
    ironic wrote:
    Hi Venita,

Sometimes things can spread away from the original injury site. It can then be difficult to remember where it started. I have also heard the you can trap the muscul inbetween the ribs and this can be extremely painful.
    However, this has been going on for sometime now and I think another trip to A&E or the Dr's is called for.
    If it is muscular then all I can think of is deep heat or gentle massage.

I do hope you can get this sorted as it can really ware you down.

Lv, Ix

Thanks Ironic & Salamander it is very helpful of you both to reply to questions so quickly and thanks for bumping up past ones.

I think I will go back to my GP and have a chat with her she is quiet good it has gone on for a while and is now starting to get me down.

Let you know how I get on.

Venita x
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    Hello Venita,

Just to let you know I have had exactly the same thing. In March/April this year I had such bad pain in my ribs it started off with just feeling sick and then being sick and then to the point where I couldn't eat or keep anything down, I was like this for 3/4 weeks, I gradually got better with a lot of help and advice from GP. Apparently it's nerve pain and it can make you sick, she also told me some people wet themselves cos of the pain or even lose control of their bowels. Just recently I started to get the same thing but now I know what could happen I went to docs and she has changed my pain meds and anti-inflammatories to stronger ones. I was also told that when it hurts to rest it straight away and use a heat pad for 10 minutes (no more) and I've found that this does stop it getting to the nausea stage. Hope this helps you, I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one, I felt like it was in my head cos no one else seemed to have the same problem. It might be a good idea to go and talk to your GP though. Hope things get better soon,
    Love Sue x
  • venita
    Options
    nanasue wrote:
    Hello Venita,

Just to let you know I have had exactly the same thing. In March/April this year I had such bad pain in my ribs it started off with just feeling sick and then being sick and then to the point where I couldn't eat or keep anything down, I was like this for 3/4 weeks, I gradually got better with a lot of help and advice from GP. Apparently it's nerve pain and it can make you sick, she also told me some people wet themselves cos of the pain or even lose control of their bowels. Just recently I started to get the same thing but now I know what could happen I went to docs and she has changed my pain meds and anti-inflammatories to stronger ones. I was also told that when it hurts to rest it straight away and use a heat pad for 10 minutes (no more) and I've found that this does stop it getting to the nausea stage. Hope this helps you, I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one, I felt like it was in my head cos no one else seemed to have the same problem. It might be a good idea to go and talk to your GP though. Hope things get better soon,
    Love Sue x

Hi Everyone thank you for all your replies and I have booked an appointment with my GP today so I will let you know how I get on.
    Love Venita
    X
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Options
    Hi Venetia how did you get on?
    Get lots of rib pain and have put it down to surgery in that area...but if there is an arthritis connection that would be reassuring for me.

The pain worsens and lasts for days if I have reached and stretch up on that side.

Hope you got some answers.
    *CB*
  • salamander
    Options
    Saw my gp today and she has confirmed that my rib pain is arthritis. Annoying that it is going somewhere else :shock: but reassuring in some ways.
  • venita
    Options
    cebeem wrote:
    Hi Venetia how did you get on?
    Get lots of rib pain and have put it down to surgery in that area...but if there is an arthritis connection that would be reassuring for me.

The pain worsens and lasts for days if I have reached and stretch up on that side.

Hope you got some answers.
    *CB*
    Hi Everyone
    sorry for the delay I did go to the doctors and have ended up having to take aweek off work AGAIN :( anyway my GP has diagnosed that my depression has returned with a vengence and put me back on anti ds he doubled my tramadol and advised capsicum cream to rub in and rest. He said it was a flare up. I have been told that I also have inflamation of the muscles/tendons between my ribs and possible costochondrtis.
    I am feeling a little better this week and hope it is a very long time before I have to face another week like that.
    I will see how things go and may call to have my rhuemy appt bought forward. thanks for all your posts
    Love Venita x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I'm glad you've been to the doctors it sounds horrible. I hope that you soon feel a lot better, but it will take time, I'm sure especially if you've had a lot of vomiting. Take advantage and of this week off, you need it to build up your strength. It must have been frightening, so much pain. Love Sue
  • salamander
    Options
    glad you've got an explanation and some treatment. Take it easy.
    xx