Here goes nothing.....!

Options
lorica
lorica Member Posts: 187
edited 21. Sep 2010, 01:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just taken my first MTX tablets..... I'm hoping I dont get any side affects, the thought of feeling sick! I hate feeling sick. I asked my doc about side affects of MTX especially the nausia he said he had never heard of anyone being nausious.

Will let you all know what happens...... :!:

Mark

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mark
    I do hope it all goes well for you, I have OA so I cant comment on the drugs you are taking, but I know many people on this forum are on the same.
    Good Luck
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    good luck do hope you miss the side affects val
    val
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Mark,

I did feel nausea but I also started steroids at the same time and they are known for nausea. I don't feel particularly sick when I take my weekly dose, although I do feel tired.

All the best of luck!
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Good luck with the Mtx Mark :D

...hope you don't feel nauseous and that it helps you contain arther!

surprised that your doc has never heard of anyone having nausea as a side effect. :shock: ....anyway the only important thing is that you don't!

let us know how you get on. :wink:

iris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Not everyone has side effects from meth: I've had the tablets and am currently on injected meth: I have only felt queasy twice on that which over a couple of years (I think) isn't bad. Your GPs comment doesn't surprise me, not many know about meth and how it can be: my GP tells me that that is my rheumatologists's area of expertise not his! I hope you are one who isn't badly affected by meth and that it also helps your arthritis. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    Just wanted to add my 2pennorth. I find that I do feel slightly nauseous after taking MTX if I'm on higher than 15mg. When I mentioned it to rheumy he said I could split the dose and take half in the morning and half later on in the day and that seems to work for me. (I'm on 20mg at the moment). But of course not everyone will react the same so you might be perfectly fine.
    Sue x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mark,

hey maybe its going to be Here goes something? I really hope so and it works for you quickly and well!

I get the nausea but I get it from the folic acid... I don't know how that works but they switched me to the liquid and I don't need the anti-emetics so much now.

I have to say the MTX controlled the crohn's with in days :D That was at the 10 I started on. The bones are now starting to how promise (I have less fluid in my arms) at 17.5 and I think 20 might just do it.

mark its not too bad, I have been lucky with side effects and I so hope you find it does work.

As Iris says I an also very surprised your gp didn't know about the nausea.... I really do recomend the anti-emetics if its too bad. I also found I have a bit of a adjustment time everytime the dose goes up BUT it does look like it might work for me and fingers crossed for you. Cris x

Iris just sneaking in a (((((((((( )))))))))) for you xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hiya, how are you feeling this evening?
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning

How you feeling after your mtx?

I can remember when I first took it years ago that it made me feel abit yuk for a day or so but then I got used to it.

Hope you can get used to it too.

Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Morning lorica - how goes it? DD
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Mark, i felt a bit of nausea on the mtx but not very much or very often. Perhaps you should hand the patient leaflet to your doctor and ask him to read it :)
    Hope it goes well.
    S
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Mark

How are you after your first dose? What dose are you taking at the moment?

I have just this morning re-started low-dose meth after a break of a number of years. Wasn't at all looking foward to it, but absolutely fine so far. Have taken the advice of my wise friend DD and am assuming that I will be absolutely fine this time round. So far it's working!

Hope all is well with you - thinking of you and looking forward to an update when you can.

Love Tilly xxx
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Thank you all for your supportive comments at the moment my dosage is 7mg, but i know my rhummy is going to put it up in a couple of weeks time.

As far as side affects go, i have had no sickness, although a couple of times my stomache felt warm and tingly, as if i had just knocked back a whiskey (if only....! lol) I did spend most of sunday in bed fast asleep, (Which the missuss wasnt too pleased about) not sure if it was due to MTX or it was because of nervious tention,and apprehention, or just lack of sleep, but when it came to going to bed last night I couldnt sleep, :cry: I eventually fell asleep on the settee about 5am and i was awake again by 8am, and today i havent slept at all during the day :!: Will have to wait till next week to see if i end up sleeping a lot.

The only thing that annoyed me yesterday was the missus!!! She thinks im a hypercondriac, i had decided that yesterday i wasnt going to do anything other than just stay at home just incase i felt sick. We normally go out with my wifes family on a sunday but i flatly refused to go missus went anyway and later her mum told me I was a hypercondriac, and next week im going with them no matter how i feel..... so now if i have any side affects like sickness or tiredness or anything else I cannot say anything as they wont believe me as im a 'hypercondriac' :( dont think the family understand what im going through :!: It upsets me so much.... :cry:

Will keep you all informed

Mark
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    These are powerful meds and yes, they can cause side effects. meth gets an exceptionally bad press on this front as most people know it is a chemo drug and therefore they associate it with extreme nausea - but in chemo it is used at much higher doses and nausea is not necessarily going to result at the lower doses that we have, but unfortunately for some it does. For others it results in extreme tiredness, and it could be that you are going to be in that camp. So, for your next dose, take it at about 7pm, then you will sleep most of it away and be fine for the next day. Hopefully! It will be a case of trial and error until you find what suits you. I have always taken my 'stronger' meds at night, precisely so that I would stand a good chance of sleeping thro any yuckiness and so that I am not wasting daylight hours when I could be doing something I like. If further accused of hypochondria by the good lady wife, tell her something hurtful in return, then she might realise how she has hurt you with such a graceless and unkind comment. It id difficult for families tho - they feel a different kind of frustration to ours, normally the frustration of not being able to help. I wish you well. DD