Low fat diet

Options
tonesp
tonesp Member Posts: 844
edited 22. Sep 2010, 11:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Any body know if there has been any research ito the effects of a low fat diet For years my wife and I faithfully followed Rosemary Conley.Now I have OA but my wife is fine Anyone looked at this? :?:

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    No...sorry....was on a low fart diet [very low fat] when i had gall bladder trouble but that was all....
    dont think an ordinary low fat diet should make any difference to arthritis or not.....he is not a respector of persons :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Haven't looked into this but methinks a lot of it is in the genes you have inherited.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    I have read that there is something called the London diet which was designed especially for arthritis / AS sufferers. It basically consists of reducing starchey foods.... cant quite remember the exact details.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I hav'nt heard of a low fat diet having any effect on OA. My Mum had OA and so do I, it does seem to be in our family, which would be a genetic cause. I try to keep to a lowish fat diet, but nothing out of the ordinary. I still eat most things, in fact I've had chips tonight!!!

Genes play a part, I think, but its the luck of the draw, to some extent. My older sister is fine. Love Sue
  • tonesp
    Options
    I agree that OA could be genetic as far as I know the jury is still out on that But why do they recommend Cod live oil for stiff joints :?:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think that is something to do with the omega oils which aid lubrication by supplementing the synovial fluid. I could be wrong, often am. Are you getting geared up for Monday, tonesp? Have you looked at the sticky about tips for going into hospital? There might be something you haven't thought about there, tho it is based on English hospitals. Hope you are OK today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angie1973
    angie1973 Member Posts: 248
    Options
    I think there is probably a fair bit inherited, or at least the tendency to get it is greater. I have a history of RA and OA in the family running through a lot of the women on my mum's side. Fortunately, she seems to have avoided it, and my sister too. They have a skin condition where they lose the pigment, and I haven't got it. Like I got the other half of the genes not that half.

I think I now have OA at 36 because of injury but suspect it would have come on at some point due to how my family seem to have got it in their early 50's. I think mine is caused mostly by injury to my neck, knee and hips, and lower back from injury and a bad birthing experience where I was stuck in one position for 24 hours with numb legs.

Some people rate some diets, but none of my rellies seem to be on special diets apart from one as she has PA instead and has to avoid certain foods etc.

Never heard of the London diet, will have to look that one up!
    Ange..

Only 99.9% possessed by the giggle monster.........the other 0.01 % just eats chocolate..
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options
    Hi Tone

I dont think it's diet either. I go for genes and also environmental factors - injuries for instance.

Cod liver oil :roll: I dont know but mkes sense taht DD could be rightish there :wink:

Have you got your jimmies packed then?

Love

Toni xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi Their are 2 types of colestrol (sp?) one is good and the other bad. Don't ask me which is which! Oily fish has the good colestrol which we need, bad colestrol as in lard and cream is bad, and should only have it in moderation. Why are the nice things BAD??? Its not FAIR
    Love Sue
  • tonesp
    Options
    Got nothing packed yet I still believe that the hospitals here provide everything.Heartbreaking I went out and bought 2 pairs of pyjamas the other week Haven't worn any for over 40 years :oops: I'm going tomorrow for another blood test I will find out then 8)
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi Their are 2 types of colestrol (sp?) one is good and the other bad. Don't ask me which is which! Oily fish has the good colestrol which we need, bad colestrol as in lard and cream is bad, and should only have it in moderation. Why are the nice things BAD??? Its not FAIR
    Love Sue

Have just had cholestral done again, it is thesum of the good and bad which is important. I don't think it has any affect on arthur. I am not a low fat diet, in fact low fat = high sugar. Just cannot win.